The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
GeneHart2

Iginla: NHL looking into bigger nets

Oh man I heard them talking about this on TSN last night..

For the first, and probably last time I agree with a Leaf..

Tie Domi said "This isn't basketball, and the game isn't broken.."

Which is true. And I agree.

I think going back to anything "historical", dimensions or otherwise, might not be what the goalies and players (or fans) would be looking for. Though I'm sure that scoring might be up a tad...as goalies flee the crease with every slapper. 8)

Ottawa Senator Cup Winners, 1905

Note the pad size (bottom left) and that the goalie's stick is the same demention as the players, and all about just 4 feet long.

photo-de-collection4.gif

* whaler.....back then the slapshot wasn't even invented yet.

* Iginla doesn't want scoring up....Iginla wants his scoring up.

* comparing scoring of now to the scoring of the 1980s is a complete joke. The 1980s aren't the norm, they are the exception to the norm. Watch an old hockey game frm the early 80s and watch how the goalies played back then. The offensive side of the game exloded in the 80s and it wasn't until the the 90s did goalie strategies and defensive strategies catch up.

* The NBA introduced a new ball this season no? One of the biggest changes in basketball in decades. Players hated it, fans hated it, everyone hated it, so the NBA commish immediately went back to the old ball. Sad thing is Bettman doesn't know a single thing about the sprt of hockey still, so he's always determined that his changes are good changes.

You can have more goals and still have a close game though. What has been most noticable on some occasions is that a two goal lead by any team doesn't mean that the game is over. There have been a lot more exciting games down to the last seconds the past two years than I can remember since the 80s.

Now I'm not so sure that the League still needs to make even more changes to increase scoring. Personally, I'm happy with the way the rules and games are now but, putting aside all the Batman bashing for a moment, other than increasing the net by a foot or whatever, what recommendations would everyone else give that might add to the scoring?

Scoring isn't the problem. Bettman and his cronies need to get their heads out of their, well, ya know... and focus on the mainstream perception they seem to be lacking and figure out how to properly market the game again. The rules changes last year was a good start, but they're back to being stupid again. Not that THAT takes much work.

why...why....does everyone ask..because this guy is an idiot. Bettman could care less about hockey and it's traditions. He is always looking for the new fan while forgetting the ones that are already here or were here. I GET SO DAMN TICKED OFF with this guy. CHANGE IS NOT ALWAYS GOOD. Bettman you keep working like a maniac to save the pens but where the hell were you with winnipeg,quebec and hartford....sorry I know the same rant over and over, now bigger nets what an idiot.

pfft - just get rid of the shootout altogether as far as I'm concerned.

EXACTLY!!!

Nah, nothing wrong with it. It's a quick and exciting way to determine a winner - even if the Canes suck at it.

EXACTLY!!!

Nah, nothing wrong with it. It's a quick and exciting way to determine a winner - even if the Canes suck at it.

No, You work hard as a team for an hour and five minutes and then it comes doown to one guy shooting the puck. Continuos OT is the way to do it.

No, You work hard as a team for an hour and five minutes and then it comes doown to one guy shooting the puck. Continuos OT is the way to do it.

If they were doing shootouts in the playoffs, I'd agree with ya. But as it is, I think the shootout is great. We used to have ties after 5:00 of scoreless, 4 on 4 overtime, and these settle that without prolonging the game and more importantly exposing players to more opportunity for injury. Besides, I was watching the shootout we had with Jersey with a couple of guys that are NOT hockey fans, and they thought it was really exciting, and in my book, ANYTHING that a casual viewer likes needs to stay. It can only help the league.

[

Ummm, and in what other part of the game doesn't it come "down to just one guy shooting"??

A continuous OT might be alright in the perfect hockey world but it'll never happen unless you're willing to destroy hockey as a national spectator sport. Think outside the box for a moment if you can. TV stations are not going to jump through a hoop just for unpredictable hockey games and cancell or postpone their contractual obligations of their regular programming and advertising $$ just because the 'Yotes and Blue Jacket are heading into their 5th OT period - can you say no more TV contracts period?; then there are parents who won't risk bringing their kids to games anymore cause it might be after midnight or 2am for all they know before the game is over - or people not bothering to drive a few hours because they will get home to late if there are OTs - the stadiums emptying out while an OT game is still on because they have to go to work or school the next day, while some die-hard fans, radio and TV announcers or some producers in the back rooms are slouched in their seats passed out? Not to mention all kind of teams possibly missing flights to a back to back game because the game ended too late - or you showing up at the RBC Center to find out that the game won't be played until February because of scheduling conflicts....and on and on and on.

:roll:

Besides, I was watching the shootout we had with Jersey with a couple of guys that are NOT hockey fans, and they thought it was really exciting, and in my book, ANYTHING that a casual viewer likes needs to stay. It can only help the league.

I'm not a hater of the shootout either, but not for the same reasons as you. What you're saying is a good way of looking at things, but I doubt the shootout is going to turn any casual fans into serious fans anytime soon. The reason why they like it so much, is because it's easy to follow. It's not too hard to figure out the intricacies of a shootout. One player, one goalie, one shot, either it goes in or it doesn't. Casual fans usually know little about the rest of the game....offsides, icings, power play units, neutral zone trap, what penalties look like. As a kid, football wasn't interesting to me, until someone actually sat me down and explained the rules and strategies. If you want to make casual fans more serious about the game, the league needs to find new ways of explaining the intricacies of how the sport is played. But since Bettman is a casual fan himself, that task is defeated before it's even started.

i have to disagree with you on that one, would you want to sit thru a triple overtime marathon on a weeknight when the game is meaningless?? i never cared for ties being part of the win loss record. i don't care home many games my team almost won (ties), i want them to end with a W or an L. the shootout is the best way to do that without turning games into 5 hour marathons.

The problem with Overtime vs Shootouts debate isn't even the fans. It's the players. Imagine the Canes going on a 4 game road trip, each game going into 2 or 3 periods of overtimes. By the end of that road trip the hurricanes would probably start losing to any team with a fresh set of legs.

The excuses would look something like this....

"Well it was an unfair game last night, the boys were tired because the night before they played 3 overtimes periods, which is technically like playing two games in one night."

In the playoffs it's different, because both teams are subject to the same amount of overtime periods against one another. And there is grace time between rounds for players to recoup.

The problem with Overtime vs Shootouts debate isn't even the fans. It's the players. Imagine the Canes going on a 4 game road trip, each game going into 2 or 3 periods of overtimes. By the end of that road trip the hurricanes would probably start losing to any team with a fresh set of legs.

The excuses would look something like this....

"Well it was an unfair game last night, the boys were tired because the night before they played 3 overtimes periods, which is technically like playing two games in one night."

In the playoffs it's different, because both teams are subject to the same amount of overtime periods against one another. And there is grace time between rounds for players to recoup.

Not if you play 5min OT periods.

Not only that, but the playoff games have a lot more riding on them than regular season games. If you lose in OT or SO, well it would have been nice to have the extra point, but unless a playoff or division race is going down to the wire, you forget about it after a couple of days. In the playoffs, on the other hand, each game just means too much to settle it with a series of one-on-ones rather than a continuing team effort.