The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
GeneHart2

Iginla: NHL looking into bigger nets

You could beat me with your reasons to like the shootout but its crap.

Does a MLB game come down to a homerun derby?

No... should it? No..

Does a NBA game come down to a slam dunk contest?

No... should it? No...

Why in heck do we have the shootout? You know what would be exciting a 4 on 4 for 10 minutes and a 3 on 3 for 5 minutes. if you dont score with 3 on 3 for 5 minutes well then damn you deserve a tie.

Get rid of this stupid loser point as well and you might see some more teams trying to win in regulation.

You brought up a very interesting and valid point re: the philosophy from the league front office about bringing in new fans instead of solidifying the existing fan base and nurturing generational progression as has happened in the NFL.... you will notice that NFL games have multi-generational fan bases... I think that the majority of NHL teams understand this - it's just that Bettman and the young suits he hires are clueless. The old established teams have generations of families that have been supporting them. The new expansion teams are digging deep into community relations to build a fan base involving whole families. Just a look around the RBC at game time shows the broad appeal the team has, and the longer they are here, the broader that will become as southerners discover the appeal of hockey that has been the love of folks in the northern tier from earliest childhood.

After the Triangle starts 'raising' some youth hockey players, maybe we'll someday see a collegiate hockey team at NC State :shock: Don't laugh! I can remember when SOCCER was a miniscule fringe element sport known by almost none of the masses here in the States. Within my lifetime, the change in the perception and participation in that sport in this country has seen a turnaround that in my own childhood would have been viewed as a drug-induced hallucination. Hockey in the South WILL be a success and I think the 'Canes are on the right track in promoting their sport and creating not only fans, but people who PLAY hockey - who are then likely to remain fans the rest of their lives.

I live about 75 minutes east of the Triangle, and I see Canes-related stuff all the time - magnets, license plates, etc on cars, and people in Canes clothing. It's nowhere near like the fanaticism for the State's schools, but the Canes and hockey are the new kids on the block. It will grow, but I will say that us transplanted Yankees are thrilled to pieces to have our own professional hockey franchise - and HERE, not Charlotte !!!!

Why in heck do we have the shootout? You know what would be exciting a 4 on 4 for 10 minutes and a 3 on 3 for 5 minutes. if you dont score with 3 on 3 for 5 minutes well then damn you deserve a tie.

That might work.

It's not like I don't like changes to the game that make it better, but it just seems like when it comes to any professional sport....and we're talking about major changes, it's ALWAYS hockey. My sport isn't some guineau pig. Tampering with the size of the nets is exactly what i mean. I think what Bettman's thinking is simple....

After the baseball strike baseball ratings were pretty horrible for a while, it wasn't until Mcguire, Sosa and Bonds started chasing records did interest rise rapidly again. Gretzky has pretty much set the level of the bar so high for NHL records that a single player may spend an entire career trying to chase just one. Changing the nets changes the entire game and raises the possibility of records being broken. But this is pathetic logic. Does the NBA increase the diameter of the hoop to help break 3-point records? Does the MLB move the pitcher's mound back 2 feet to help break home run records? Does the NFL widen the goal posts to break field goal records?

The whole idea looks bad....

imagine the MLB shrinking the size of the plate, so there would be less strikes, more runs and higher scores......Just to raise attendance in Montreal before they lost the expos. Sadly enough, this is the logic we're using in the NHL right now.

Get rid of this stupid loser point as well and you might see some more teams trying to win in regulation.

I totally agree about that loser point. Since the League went out of it's way to make sure that there is a winner in each game then by all means there should be a loser too.

As a fan I'd find the idea of extended period(s) played 4 on 4 and then 3 on 3 more exciting too than the shootout but I can't follow the rationale behind the comparisons between what the NHL does and what other major sports leagues don't do. Apples and oranges. In using the same logic, it would make your idea just as rediculous as what the NHL instituted under Bettman.

I'm no fan of Bettman's though, don't get me wrong. Actually, I still get a grin on my face when I see Brindy yanking the Cup out of his hands and hoisting it before Bettman was done with his speech. To me he is just some "little" guy finally trying to fill big shoes, stadiums, commensurate TV contracts and create new interest by making the game more palatable to fans and the general sports viewing public. Maybe clutch and grab - 3 goals a game- traditionalists would rather have the likes of Lou Lamoriello at the helm changing everything back, or think that any status quo Commissioner could bring about change to up our fan base without changing anything, but I'm sure they'd be seriously mistaking the business world. It wouldn't make any sense at all to expect changes for the better without doing anything about it. Hockey was and still is hurting for fans, new AND old. If I'd blame Bettman for anything it is his lack of foresight in the late 90's when rapid expansion and 20,000 reviews and a stupid skate in the crease was the answer to our scoring woes and everything else. Add rather unattractive hockey and then zero TV exposure during the lockout with ESPN pulling the plug, he didn't start to scramble to try to make serious, reasonable and appealing changes until it was too late.

Anyways,...I might be wrong, but to me the referenced article didn't reflect that Bettman himself wants bigger goals but that the NHL (whoever all is meant by that) is still contemplating any ideas on how to bring the scoring up. The article is about the NHL's Competition Committee who Iginla is a member of (along with whom?), that apparently has tabled and pondered it as one of many great ideas (sarcasm) on changes that could increase scoring. I'd hate to think what else they pondered and just haven't told us yet to be honest.

You could beat me with your reasons to like the shootout but its crap.

Does a MLB game come down to a homerun derby?

No... should it? No..

Does a NBA game come down to a slam dunk contest?

No... should it? No...

I think you miss the bigger picture here, at least in this area they try to bring families to the game. make it a family outing, that is working wonders to increase the fan base. if you get into a multiple overtime environment then a 7pm game may not be over until 1am ('02 Stanley Cup Finals) which would put most families getting home with their kids at 3am. how many fans are going to be anxious to go to the games during the regular season if there is a possibility of not getting home until 3 in the morning?? that is fine for playoff games but how many would want to attend 41 home games under that scenario??

that may be true in Raleigh, but it's not solely a family event in other cities. The point is, the players and the goalies think it's ridiculous....therefore it shouldn't even be on the table.