The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Obi-Wan

Nashville forward Scott Nichol suspended nine games for sucker punch

LOL Gipper you won't be happy until Orpik is on a spit.

I'd've been happy with a 20-game suspension, and I also was infuriated that Ovechkin was not suspended for boarding Briere.

i think its kind of fair...i would have liked to have seen him suspended for 15-20, but considering Spacek isnt seriously injured, Im ok with 9 games.

I doubt Nashville will even notice hes out of their lineup.

I'm sorry, I may be in the minority here but I think 9 games is a bit much for a sucker punch. Spacek pushed him shoulder/neck first into the crossbar first. I'm not saying that Nichol's action was ok, but 9 games? Damn, Orpik only got 3 games for breaking Cole's neck!!!!!!

I'm sorry, I may be in the minority here but I think 9 games is a bit much for a sucker punch. Spacek pushed him shoulder/neck first into the crossbar first. I'm not saying that Nichol's action was ok, but 9 games? Damn, Orpik only got 3 games for breaking Cole's neck!!!!!!

yeah spacek prolly deserved a penalty for what he did but the nhl doesnt want any more bertuzzi incidents black eyeing the league creating negative media attention or anything like this. i think 9 is good i dont see why not ten to round it up but the part about cole is was orpik trying to purposely break coles neck or playing him hard into the boards? i dont remeber ive only seen the video once and that was a while ago. nichols purposely sucker punched spacek

Yeah, the replay of that game was on yesterday afternoon on FSS. Watched it to get my hockey fix for the day since they didn't show the Canes game last night.

I knew a suspension was coming for Nichol, but no suspension or even penalty for Spacek for causing it? Sorry, but you don't shove somebody into the goal posts and expect there to be no response. Especially when the game is starting to get out of reach for the one team (Buffalo was leading 5-2 at the time, with only 5 minutes left). Who wouldn't have gone after Spacek if they were in Nichol's place?

When you compare that Nichol gets a 9 game suspension and not even a penalty in the game for Spacek's part, it is very much excessive.

It was an outright dirty play on Spacek's part, and if the NHL wants to clean things up they need to focus on what causes these things just as much as the fights themselves. Yeah, Nichol sucker punched Spacek from behind, but Spacek shoved Nichol into the goal from behind, too, and away from the puck.

Yeah, the replay of that game was on yesterday afternoon on FSS. Watched it to get my hockey fix for the day since they didn't show the Canes game last night.

I knew a suspension was coming for Nichol, but no suspension or even penalty for Spacek for causing it? Sorry, but you don't shove somebody into the goal posts and expect there to be no response. Especially when the game is starting to get out of reach for the one team (Buffalo was leading 5-2 at the time, with only 5 minutes left). Who wouldn't have gone after Spacek if they were in Nichol's place?

When you compare that Nichol gets a 9 game suspension and not even a penalty in the game for Spacek's part, it is very much excessive.

It was an outright dirty play on Spacek's part, and if the NHL wants to clean things up they need to focus on what causes these things just as much as the fights themselves. Yeah, Nichol sucker punched Spacek from behind, but Spacek shoved Nichol into the goal from behind, too, and away from the puck.

blame the victim... saying its a dirty play on spaceks part please. i can tell you never played hockey or watched hockey for at least 5 years because spacek was doing his job satying with your man hard in front of the net. when you go hard to net you expect to get hit apprently nichols doesnt go to the net often because hes either on the bench or on a flight because he just got traded. heres a question name as many players as you can who have been run into the net and gone back and suckered punched anybody?

I watched the replay of the game only for the first two periods, but does anyone have a link to a video of the fight? I'd love to actually see this.

As for the suspension, I'm not really a good judge for this sort of thing, but I think he definitely deserved something. I'd say it was just another good ol' hockey fight.

blame the victim... saying its a dirty play on spaceks part please. i can tell you never played hockey or watched hockey for at least 5 years because spacek was doing his job satying with your man hard in front of the net. when you go hard to net you expect to get hit apprently nichols doesnt go to the net often because hes either on the bench or on a flight because he just got traded. heres a question name as many players as you can who have been run into the net and gone back and suckered punched anybody?

Or maybe I've been watching hockey for many more than 5 years to know that the change in the rules with players in the crease no longer nullifying goals has created more crashing to the net like this in recent years and is possibly one of the worst changes the NHL has made to create "more offense" because it puts goalies at risk and also allows defenders to shove other players into the net more.

Just because it happens doesn't mean that it's okay. It's dangerous to the players and is something the NHL really needs to crack down on. Regardless of whether it was right or wrong what Nichol did that still stands.

The play was a cheap shot, from behind, and away from the puck which was in the corner in a game that was almost over. Nichol was cutting across in front of the goal (not directly towards it) when Spacek threw his shoulder at him to push him into the goalpost. How in the world can anyone defend that?

Maybe you should take off your Buffalo blinders and see it from the point of view as a fan of hockey. Doubt you'd be saying the same thing if the roles were reversed and it was Spacek or a Sabre shoved into the net like that instead.

I'm not judging this as a "Buffalo hater", either, but as a fan of hockey. In fact, my father was originally from Buffalo, so I have my own links to the area.

As for video, here's a link where you can watch (also has the Witt vs. Walker fight from last night): http://www.hockeyfights.com/videos/

People can judge for themselves if they think it was "clean" or "dirty", but regardless of what uniforms are on either team I call it dirty. Doesn't make Nichol's sucker punch acceptable, but you can definitely see why he would do that after the hit he took, IMHO. Both should have been penalized for their actions.

While I do agree that Spacek should has been given a roughing penalty for throwing Nichol into the post away from the play like that, that's not excuse for what Nichol did.

buffalo blinders good one if you read my post i never typed in buffalo once. i have a different viewpoint. spacek deserved a 2 minute roughing. for something that your defending as such a terrible play that spacek needs to be suspended for dont you think nichols got up pretty quickly and he sure seemed ok for something as terrible as your making it out to be. spacek didnt deliberately put nichols into the net watch the replay. quote from colin campbell " the punch by mr. nichol was deliberate, from behind, and it occured after the referees whistle had stopped play." a good hockey play by spacek to the net during play not after the whistle. maybe colin campbell should turn off his buffalo blinders also. easy to punch someone when there not looking.

buffalo blinders good one if you read my post i never typed in buffalo once. i have a different viewpoint. spacek deserved a 2 minute roughing. for something that your defending as such a terrible play that spacek needs to be suspended for dont you think nichols got up pretty quickly and he sure seemed ok for something as terrible as your making it out to be. spacek didnt deliberately put nichols into the net watch the replay. quote from colin campbell " the punch by mr. nichol was deliberate, from behind, and it occured after the referees whistle had stopped play." a good hockey play by spacek to the net during play not after the whistle. maybe colin campbell should turn off his buffalo blinders also. easy to punch someone when there not looking.

Yes, roughing or at least interference should have been called at the minimum. There could have also been some sort of game misconduct called, though, for such a play late in a game, though. Which could also lead to a suspension for a short amount of time. Thus why I think it's possible he could have been suspended as well.

However, I don't agree that it was just "a good hockey play", when it was away from the play and the hit pushed Nichol, who was going away from the post, into the post. From my view of the replays and video, Spacek put his shoulder up into Nichol in a hit meant to push him into the net rather than away. Which is what most defenders will try to do.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

I don't think it was technically a dirty play by Spacek but it was probably unnecessary at that stage of a lopsided game. Nichol was a punk to do what he did with a cowardly sucker punch.

However, with respect to your comment about it being "easy to punch someone" when they aren't looking it reminds of the sucker punch Roy threw to Staal's jaw in the playoffs. If I remember correctly it was after Recchi interfered with Roy, a scrum ensued and Roy popped Staal while he wasn't looking.

I assume you took issue with that one too? :) I realize they were of a different magnitude but spare us the moral outrage when one of your own has been on the delivering end, ok?

I'm glad to see the NHL cracking down on crap like that. 9 games ought to teach that guy a lesson.

But not hard enough on Orpik!! He should miss as many games, cole was out.

I don't think it was technically a dirty play by Spacek but it was probably unnecessary at that stage of a lopsided game. Nichol was a punk to do what he did with a cowardly sucker punch.

However, with respect to your comment about it being "easy to punch someone" when they aren't looking it reminds of the sucker punch Roy threw to Staal's jaw in the playoffs. If I remember correctly it was after Recchi interfered with Roy, a scrum ensued and Roy popped Staal while he wasn't looking.

I assume you took issue with that one too? :) I realize they were of a different magnitude but spare us the moral outrage when one of your own has been on the delivering end, ok?

As soon as I saw this thread, I was wondering how long it was going to take before someone brought that up...

How many games did Domi get for sucker punching Ulfi (Samuelson)?

Domi got 8 games. Nichol gets 1 for the instigator, and the 8 for the sucker punch.

How many games did Goddard get last season for sucker punching Williams?

Nichol should have waited till the next shift and checked him form behind into the boards breaking his kneck. He'd only have gotten 3 games :lol:

Unless the NHL can figure out away to weed out 3rd and 4th line guys this type of stuff will continue. Sissy *edit* players try to act tough and play dirty, they won't fight or stand up for themselves, so the guys like Nochol eventually snap in some form out of frustration and anger. So I'm sure Bettman is trying to figure out how to get teams down to 2-3 lines to do away with the heart and soul type energy/grinder players who sometimes fight.

I guess if it were Iginla or Shannahan that had done that it wouldn't even had been a suspension. I don't understand why Biron didn't get a 3rd man in penalty. If there was 1 fighting major and an instigator given out, then he should have been penalized also.

If Spacek wants to play borderline dirty he should have been ready to squareoff and take his medicine.

I'm with Gipper here, and no, I (we??) will not be happy till Orprick is terminal. Or at LEAST out of the league, that dirty so-and-so! :P

:roll: :twisted: :roll: :twisted: :roll:

I would normally correct your post and call you a dirty name, but there is just too much to correct, and I can tell you wouldn't understand.

I'm with Gipper here, and no, I (we??) will not be happy till Orprick is terminal. Or at LEAST out of the league, that dirty so-and-so! :P

It's just, your Orpik crusades entertain me....maybe you guys are looking for a gentleman's sport? May I suggest Polo? :P