The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Obi-Wan

Nashville forward Scott Nichol suspended nine games for sucker punch

I recall a game agaisnt the Isle last year at everyone's favorite arena. Justin Williams was charged and then sucker-punched in the side of the head by Eric Godard and i'm still wondering where that penalty is.

At the Bruin game they played here at RBC, one of their guys, and I don't remember who it was, knocked one of ours right off his feet and half way over the rail in front of the Carolina bench. Our guy is caught, bent in half, flailing around trying to get himself back over the rail and onto his feet on the ice. HOWEVER, same Bruin is now beating the ever loving crap out of his kidneys and spleen.

Standing immediately next to this pair is a zebra, pointedly looking straight ahead, or away. Beat,punch,beat, punch - on it goes until our guy finally heaves himself back upright. Never a penalty called. The people behind the glass nearby are shrieking and on their feet, beating on the glass right behind the official.

I thought at the time, "oh, paybacks are going to be a *edit*!" sure enough, in the next period, Mr Kidney Puncher took a pass from a teammate and no sooner had that puck touched the tape on his stick then our friend Big Red (Commodore) came at him like a freight train. It was like watching a NASA launch - the guy took off for the sky like he was rocket-propelled. I thought, "bye-bye, Thugster. And Happy Landings!"

LOL Gipper you won't be happy until Orpik is on a spit.

I'm with Gipper here, and no, I (we??) will not be happy till Orprick is terminal. Or at LEAST out of the league, that dirty so-and-so! :P

It's just, your Orpik crusades entertain me....maybe you guys are looking for a gentleman's sport? May I suggest Polo? :P

*cough*JustinWilliamsSakuKoivu*cough*

buffalo blinders good one if you read my post i never typed in buffalo once. i have a different viewpoint. spacek deserved a 2 minute roughing. for something that your defending as such a terrible play that spacek needs to be suspended for dont you think nichols got up pretty quickly and he sure seemed ok for something as terrible as your making it out to be. spacek didnt deliberately put nichols into the net watch the replay. quote from colin campbell " the punch by mr. nichol was deliberate, from behind, and it occured after the referees whistle had stopped play." a good hockey play by spacek to the net during play not after the whistle. maybe colin campbell should turn off his buffalo blinders also. easy to punch someone when there not looking.

:roll: :twisted: :roll: :twisted: :roll:

I would normally correct your post and call you a dirty name, but there is here is just too much to correct, and I can tell you wouldn't understand.

im all ears, just hockey talk no reason to be calling people dirty names here :cry:, stop with the buffalo biasis i have some favorable opinions towards my team as do you but im not blinded, briere should defiently be fined for what he did in the caps games tonite and i feel the schaffer hit on connolly last year was in the playoffs that knocked him out till who knows when was 100% clean and im pretty sure i would understand oh yeah staal probaly thought he was getting a massage when heavyweight roy was punching him lol

oh yeah staal probaly thought he was getting a massage when heavyweight roy was punching him lol

LMAO!!!! Will you be going to the game on Thurs., quince? If not, you're welcome to join us in the gameday thread for that one.

your response time always amazes me 300section lol :D unfortunately im not going to this game :cry: but i am going to the game on the 5th against the penguins getting to see malkin,crosby, and little staal for the first time but the good news is i might be here i know all the caniacs are thrilled :wink: i already saw the sabres beat the canes last year in the 06 conference finals so whats the point in seeing them do it again lol jk

I want to go to the game on Thursday so bad...one of my friends has seats 7 rows before the bench....ARG.

I might also be at that Pitts game too, quince! But I'm not sure yet.

LOL, quince!! Hey, I don't ever get tired of watching the 'Canes win the series on the dvd, either (just some ribbing back, sweetie :D). Happy for you that you're going to a game in Jan., but sad to hear you won't be going to the one Thurs. anyways. And just who IS the littlest Staal brother out of the bunch? To me it looked like it would be Mark, but it's not like I know all their heights (all I know is that Eric is MUCH taller than me, but then again, almost EVERYONE is taller than me anyway :(). I'd rather enjoy having you in the gameday thread on the 28th myself. You're always welcome. I just hope we can ALL keep a cap on our emotions & remain civil to each other, but it'll be a good game between the two our 2 teams nonetheless.

Sorry for going of the topic, folks.

last comment on this then back to arguing ha good thing the staals didnt have octuplets, eric and jordan are in the nhl while mark and jared staal im pretty sure r playing for the same minor league hockey team so i guess you can say there a hockey family.

as for the hypocrite aka caniaccy...

i like how your first thread is STILLLLLL about the cole/orpik situation and your defending your player. as i defend my player with the spacek/nichols situation. your preaching the exact same thing i am and you say im wrong. lets say if it was mike commodore who got sucker punched from behind after he took someone hard to the net i KNOW you would be all over nichols cause your still not over orpik. so stop with the whole imnotabiasedfanjustonewholikestogiveouthockeybasedopinions. like i said wayyy before orpik didnt intentionally break coles neck, he played him hard into the boards and eriks neck unfortunately broke. injuries are part of the game and so is fighting but assaulting someone from behind isnt. next time do me a favor and stick your hands in glue instead of just typing in ummm theres to much to correct and ummm you wouldnt umm understand beacuse i do. bring facts

as for the hypocrite aka caniaccy...

i like how your first thread is STILLLLLL about the cole/orpik situation and your defending your player. as i defend my player with the spacek/nichols situation. your preaching the exact same thing i am and you say im wrong. lets say if it was mike commodore who got sucker punched from behind after he took someone hard to the net i KNOW you would be all over nichols cause your still not over orpik. so stop with the whole imnotabiasedfanjustonewholikestogiveouthockeybasedopinions. like i said wayyy before orpik didnt intentionally break coles neck, he played him hard into the boards and eriks neck unfortunately broke. injuries are part of the game and so is fighting but assaulting someone from behind isnt. next time do me a favor and stick your hands in glue instead of just typing in ummm theres to much to correct and ummm you wouldnt umm understand beacuse i do. bring facts

First off, you made the earlier comment "oh yeah staal probaly thought he was getting a massage when heavyweight roy was punching him lol" but since you want to insist others "bring facts" you may want to look at Nichol's stature. He is smaller than Roy. So your point was? :Oops:

Many of your fans claimed Nichol's 9 game suspension wasn't enough yet when Justin Williams got suckered punched last year for no reason whatsoever, there was nothing close to the level of complaining heard from Buffalo. Spacek wasn't hurt and Nichol was punished. For you to even try and compare the feelings for Orpik felt by Canes' fans to how Nichol might be responded to if Commodore was punched is just plain silly.

well i insisted that he bring facts because his response was your incorrect and i cant tell you how wrong you are becasue im just completly right. sound argument. i also made points in argument bringing facts, and made a joke at the end about heavyweight roy. wheres the many fans from buffalo asking claiming that nine games wasnt enough? i said i was happy with 9 if you read my first thread but i thought they should round it up to ten. when williams got punched was his story on espns pti the next day and all over the nhl page on espn.com na but spaceks was. so for you to try and compare the williams/staal incident to the spacek is just plain silly. you would have the same feelings i feel if it twas your player lying on the ice after being decked out from behind after being INTENTIONALLY attacked and u know it.

o p.s. nichols is taller than roy. oops

LOL Gipper you won't be happy until Orpik is on a spit.

I'm with Gipper here, and no, I (we??) will not be happy till Orprick is terminal. Or at LEAST out of the league, that dirty so-and-so! :P

It's just, your Orpik crusades entertain me....maybe you guys are looking for a gentleman's sport? May I suggest Polo? :P

*cough*JustinWilliamsSakuKoivu*cough*

I don't see how a very unfortunate accident is on the same level as intentionally checking someone from behind(orpik/cole, ovechkin/briere), or deliberately suckerpunching someone.

Pardon me if I see a difference between accidents and deliberate actions.

iwhen williams got punched was his story on espns pti the next day and all over the nhl page on espn.com na but spaceks was. so for you to try and compare the williams/staal incident to the spacek is just plain silly. you would have the same feelings i feel if it twas your player lying on the ice after being decked out from behind after being INTENTIONALLY attacked and u know it.

o p.s. nichols is taller than roy. oops

Who cares whether it got national attention or not? My point was about the teams' fans. and their reactions You guys saw your game and on many boards I read, sought far longer than the 9-game suspension handed down.

Compare that to the Williams and Staal incidents where both were blindly sucker punched. Yes Canes fans were very upset no doubt, but it was hardly the outcry I've read from your fans. The simple point still stands - it's incredibly ironic that you guys wail about this while you celebrated Roy's punch on Staal as showing "courage" and not quitting, etc. on this very board. So again, you can't have it both ways but it seems like some of you try.

BTW, yes I realize you were joking about Roy's "heavyweight" size but you missed the irony again. He is bigger than Nichol (about same height but weighs about 10-15 lbs. more) so if you want to imply Roy isn't a heavyweight then Preds' fans could claim it even more so with Nichol. See it now. :roll: