The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
melissa-2

"Vote for Rory" irks Gretzky

If y'all wanna pick on me for not fawning over Gretzky, do it in a thread about that subject.

Relax a little bit FM, no one was picking on you, we were just making friendly jokes. We all know your distaste for certain players and we were just bring that up. No harm meant.t

Rory, can get all the votes. It doesn't matter. I don't think there is a shot in hell he'll accept. He's not a stupid person, this was done to make fun of him for the numbers he does not put up. However if he accepts, then he's obviously more dumb off the ice than on it. Because during the All-Star Game he'll perform like a French soldier in battle.

I think it would actually be funny to have an "All-Bench-Warmer Game" or something, where the league's notoriously WORST players from each conference do battle for a short game. You know - players that fans for each team can't stand and want traded or whatever (for us, it'd be Tanabe; for Philly fans, Hatcher, etc.) It'd be a fun train-wreck to watch, I think - I just feel it would also hurt the pride of the ones voted for. :lol:

I dream, therefore, I am. :P

Apparently no one here except me has a subscription to Sports Illustrated. The Rory issue is profiled this week and Rory himself says that he is embarrassed by the whole thing and does not think he deserves to be in the All Star game. His teammates, rather than being embarrassed by the whole thing, actually showed up to practice wearing VOTE FOR RORY shirts. I think that they know the guy better than anyone else and are acutely aware of the uncomfortable position that a FAN has put him in -and were showing support and 'no hard feelings'.

As to having the All Star voting available to the fans --- that automatically makes it a total farce. We can all vote for whomever we want as many times as we want. What is fair about that? All the moaning about the Rory thing just shows that it could be overweighted voting for ANYONE. We're all told to vote for our players - fine. But is Cam Ward an "All Star" at this point in THIS season ? NOT. But I know I vote for him every time I go to the NHL site.

I say that the vote should be like the Academy Awards - a vote by peers. Put it on the players and coaches - they know better than anyone who is deserving of All Star honors. They know what it truly takes to play the game and who is really getting it done.

I say that the vote should be like the Academy Awards - a vote by peers. Put it on the players and coaches - they know better than anyone who is deserving of All Star honors. They know what it truly takes to play the game and who is really getting it done.

Don't they pick the rest of the team? Or does the media do that. In any event, the fans are only picking the 6 starters, someone else picks the rest.

I've voted for Rory my share of times. I just think its kinda cool. I don't see it as some sort of crime against hockey like some do.

I started an all-star game blog as part of a grad school class project to push for voting for the Canes candidates, and was getting about 50 hits a day. In early December I switched over to following the Rory campaign since it appeared to be the only news coverage of the game (and about 10,000% of the normal coverage for an NHL all-star game, for better or worse) and peaked last week with one day with 1,137 hits.

check my latest post out at

http://canesallstars.wordpress.com/2006/12...paign-overview/

main link http://canesallstars.wordpress.com/" target="_blank"> http://canesallstars.wordpress.com/

Alright, I might as well put in my two cents..I have a lot to say on this, but it's late and i'm not sure how organized this is gonna be, but here we go..

I like Rory Fitzpatrick. I really do. He's a good hardworking guy who tries hard and is a good team player. He's from Rochester, which is an hour away from me, I have tons of friends from there - one of my good friends actually lives down the street from him - so it's almost like rooting for the local boy. Sure I'll never get the image of him losing the puck in his skates in game 7 of the ECF, but oh well, he's a journeyman depth defensemen playing in the ECF on a team that has lost their top 4 d-men to injuries, he made a mistake, I'm over it.

So the only problem is....he's not very good.

The thing that I can't get over about this whole situation is that it is just so...Rory. He's that nice guy that you just want to see do well, but things just don't go his way and he just can't seem to get it done. So the fact that he's just been thrown into this crazy situation that is really kind of a great opportunity for him, but also completely awful at the same time, is just so...Rory Fitzpatrick.

I'm not big on All-Star games, especially ones where the fans vote. It's just a big popularity contest, and sure, usually the popular players are the best ones, but I don't know, any time you let fans vote for something and let them vote multiple times for whoever they want, you're setting yourself up - you never know what can happen. The Vote for Rory campaign completely exposed all the flaws in the voting process. THis is where I'm torn...I like the fact that that happened...but at the same time, I feel bad for Rory. Sure it's hilarious and fun, but here's a guy who's done nothing wrong except try to play hockey, and suddenly he's the butt of this big controversial NHL joke. Also, I don't like how it makes the other players who made the All Star teams look...I'm ecstatic that Ryan Miller and Brian Campbell are almost sure lockins, as they're my two favorite players currently, but I look at the Rory thing and think...Wow, if Rory can get it, is it really that big of an achievement for Brian Campbell then? I realize that the Rory voters had a purpose and a goal that was different from the people who voted for Campbell, but still, i don't know...

Basically that's how I feel, in a great big mess of sentences and awkward paragraphs. haha

Oh, and my friend, the one who lives down the street from him, told me that he heard he's not going to accept the invite, so we'll see what happens.

I agree with Gretzky

The NHL and MLB need to do something about fan voting - its a farce.

And if Mr Fitzpatrick gets voted in I hope he has the decency to step aside and let the attention fall to those who earned thier way.

I can really see both sides of the issue if the NHL leaves it up to fans to vote, then what are all the fans complaining about, they voted for Rory. But also, I can see the side of the people who voted for TRUE all-stars, both sides can make a good argument.

...VOTE FOR RORY!!!!!!!!

I know y'all are dying to hear my opinion on this, let's just say for once i'm with gretzky on this. This is about as smart as the push for bigger nets.

Most of you guys are right. The voting is a joke. But how many times has a player gotten in because a bunch of teenage girls think he's "cute", or how many times has a player who is playing like crap got voted in because he's "usually good" but is having a bad year and is popular with the fans? The bottom line is when you have fans vote you aren't always getting the best. If Gretz wants it changed then he and the powers that be need to push for it. Otherwise, get ready to hear...."From the Vancouver Canucks, on defense, Rooooooooooory Fiiiitzzzzzpaaaatrick!!!!" I personally don't care about the Rory thing. It's always been a popularity contest and I've never really taken it seriously.

It's not that this whole Rory ordeal has proven all-star voting to be a joke, it's proven the "write-in" category to be a joke. Rory was never on the list, in order to vote for him you had to manual type in his name as a write in then vote.

The true problem is....

How many of these Rory voters, know very little about hockey and just went to the site to vote for Rory? This is what's skewing the results. You have plenty of knowledgeable fans voting properly (some that have jumped on the rory ban wagon too), but for every one knowledgeable fan you have about 15 rory fanatics who just want to be a part of a joke.

I think the NHL will just remove the write in category next year.