The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
puckhead63

The Pens...Bettman...won't make the same mistake twice

don't kid yourself whaler.....just because Bettman is playing the "protect hockey history" card doesn't mean that's actually why he's being so strict. If Balsillie rumoured that he had intentions of moving the Pens ot Las Vega or Kansas City, there would be NO restrictions talk right now.

Bettman is just cutting his loses, because he knows that it's much easier to get a national tv contract if Crosby is playing in Pittsburgh then some Southern Ontario city that the average person outside of Ontario couldn't even locate on a map.

In other words, if Karmanos wanted to move the Whalers to Hamilton instead of Raleigh, Bettman would have stuck up for the city of Hartford too.

The reality is....there are federal laws in both Canada and America that protect Balsillie from what Bettman's trying to do. It's called the Anti-Combines Act in Canada, I'm not sure what it's called in America, but I'm almost certain something of the equivalent exists. Especially since the United States is practically founded on the concept of free enterprise.

Balsillie has both the money and time to take the NHL to court if he has too.

Dave.....

This is what the question comes down too.....If you were an entrenpeneur would you spend $175 million on a business if your hands were going to be tied so bad that if worst case scenario comes around you can't do anything?

Let's not forget that their was also a clause that would allow the NHL to take the team from him if THEY deemed it necessary. Would you pay $175mil for a business with the risk of the NHL taking the team away from you. I think he needs to sue Bettman and the NHL.

don't kid yourself whaler.....just because Bettman is playing the "protect hockey history" card doesn't mean that's actually why he's being so strict. If Balsillie rumoured that he had intentions of moving the Pens ot Las Vega or Kansas City, there would be NO restrictions talk right now.

Bettman is just cutting his loses, because he knows that it's much easier to get a national tv contract if Crosby is playing in Pittsburgh then some Southern Ontario city that the average person outside of Ontario couldn't even locate on a map.

In other words, if Karmanos wanted to move the Whalers to Hamilton instead of Raleigh, Bettman would have stuck up for the city of Hartford too.

The reality is....there are federal laws in both Canada and America that protect Balsillie from what Bettman's trying to do. It's called the Anti-Combines Act in Canada, I'm not sure what it's called in America, but I'm almost certain something of the equivalent exists. Especially since the United States is practically founded on the concept of free enterprise.

Balsillie has both the money and time to take the NHL to court if he has too.

Hoyle.......one thing. When the announcment of the move of the whalers was made . There was still NO home for them. He approved this with no place for the team to go. Do you remember the airplane hanger in Columbus. Raleigh was his 3rd choice, I believe. I don't want to make this a Karmanos/whaler thing. This is a Bettman thing. Where was he in Hartford when that was going on. I know I'm right on this one and will argue it till the cows come home. He is a lousy commish....period!!!

whaler I'm pretty much on your side here.....

Bettman is being made to be a hero and a saint to Pittsburgh. Go look at their message board for a moment and you'll see. That's what I have a problem with. Bettman doesn't care about hockey history or Pittsburgh, he just doesn't want Crosby in a Southern Ontario market....that's prett much it.

The sad part is, the guy who is really getting f--ked is Lemieux. Here's a guy who single handedly put Pittsburgh hockey on the map and next to Gretzky made hockey more popular in America then it ever has been. The Pens previous management were doorknobs and couldn't finance a proper budget, so Lemieux never got paid his full contract. As a consolation the owner gives the franchise over to Lemieux and his group of collective owners. It's like saying "Here Lemieux, we can't pay you the money we owe you, but we'll give you the team that is technically valued more then what we owe you, but you'll have to figure out how to actually get the money yourself". so Lemieux finds a potential owner who is willing to pay him more then originally expected and now the BOG and Bettman are saying NO. How many times is the NHL going to stick their foot up Lemieux's @ss. Seriously the BOG owe a great deal of grattitude to this man, considering he single handedly put people in the stands when he went on the road.

Just Pathetic! It's liek saying Lemieux was worth a total of 90 million over his entire career, but he's only actually been paid 40.

I would imagine they would. Like you said I am sure Bettman is the second coming over there. Too bad for Mario. Man, I can't stand that non-hockey fan, anti-canadian of a commish we have.

I'll agree that Bettman may be the worst commissioner in the history of the world.

Can we pull Paul Tagliabue out of retirement? I know he's not a hockey guy either, but at least he knows how to run a league from the business end of things.

The city of pittsburgh has done "nothing" so far to prove to me that they should take top priority....

Let's be realistic here. The Mellon Arena holds 17,537, and the Pens so far this year are averaging 15,804. That's about a 93% fill capacity, which is 16th overall in the league. If the best Pittsburgh can do is 16th overall in fill capacity with the sh-tiest arena in the league, that's not much incentive for any IOC to commit top dollar to fill 15,800 of a possible 19,000 seat arena.

Pittsburgh has the Bettman, the BOG, the mayor of Pittsburgh and Lemieux doing everything they can to keep the team from moving. Everyone but the actual fans are making an effort.

I'll say one thing they are ticked off on the habs board about Bettman. Basically saying the same thing. They don't want to see the pens lose their team but where was this man when Quebec,Winnipeg and Hartford lost theirs. (they didn't mention Hartford but ofcourse I made a point to remind them...lol)

Of course you did. Big surprize there.

I see you still have it out for me. I guess my trying is useless...oh well. Ofcourse I would mention the Whalers since they were talking about the former WHA teams. Again though, I am not the only one who brings up the whale on that board also. It is and was brought up in other threads by hab fans. There is a big difference, they don't get all crazy and upset when the whale is talked about. They actually enjoy remembering some good playoff games, fans coming down to Hartford,etc. Only here it is met with hostility from some. Which I could see if I was here bad mouthing the canes but thats not the case

Finalicehart.jpg

The entire province of Quebec has a right to be ticked off right now. If Pittsburgh is being considered a significant part of hockey history, Quebec dwarfs Pittsburgh in terms of significance. Historically speaking, hockey is more then just a sport in Quebec then something that was used to define their uniqueness within Canada. It's hard to explain this on an American message board, because it's a bit of Canadian history. The point is Bettman has never done anything for Quebec

The Richard Riots weren't so much about the suspension of Maurice Richard, then French Canadians saying "Enough is enough" and demanded the NHL to treat the french with more respect. That's hockey history, not the fact that pittsburgh has been a fragile franchise since the late 70s.

When Pittsburgh says "hockey history", they're referring to Lemieux, but the person getting yanked around the most here is Lemieux......Way to respect your hockey history.

I'll agree that Bettman may be the worst commissioner in the history of the world.

Can we pull Paul Tagliabue out of retirement? I know he's not a hockey guy either, but at least he knows how to run a league from the business end of things.

nahh...Tagliabue would just add that damned 'blackout' rule...

You'll forgive us if we don't consider the circumstances that brought the Hurricanes here a "mistake."

Ofcourse you guys wouldn't. If Hartford got a team from another city, I'd feel bad for that city but I wouldn't be giving the team back. Enjoy your hockey, it was what it was. I just don't understand where the outrage was by the fans towards Bettman when those 3 cities lost their teams. Ofcourse we didn't know how the weasel worked but it is painfully obvious now with the pens situation

why does it seem, without sounding arrogant (spelling?) that were the only ones that get this

It's not that...it's because hockey is a regional sport. With the exception of some larger traditional markets and most Canadian teams, most hockey fans only care about their own team and that's it. Hockey isn't a national sport and it never will be.

The simple fact is they can't sell out the second smallest arena in the league.

You should look up the history of the Penguins. For a city that claims they have such a rich history in hcokey, they're the franchise who has been threatened to move the most amount of times. This dates all the way back to the early 80s, when Lemieux first came in the league. Attendance was dismal and the team was actually scheduled to move. Suddenly Lemieux became a god and everyone in Pittsburgh realised they had a hockey team. In the 90s the team ran into financial troubles and to avoid moving the team they sold it to Lemieux. Now the team is in trouble again, and the man pushing the hardest to keep the team in Pittsburgh is Lemieux. Basically, if Lemieux didn't play for pittsburgh the team would have been somewhere else a long long time ago.

The city of Pittsburgh has be bailed out repeatedly when it comes to their hockey team.

And the reason why Pittsburgh has the largest percentage increase last year was because of two reasons......Crosby and the fact that in 03-04 the average attendance was 11,000. ANY increase from that will be huge.

I have a hard time swallowing any claim that the peple of Pittsburgh are passionate about hockey when their franchise has their hands deepest in revenue sharing.

And relocation of a team is always "blamed" on the owner, the true reason is always attendance and the city's unwillingness to supprt a new arena. As Winnipeg.

davidrabbit....if you had the money, would you invest in building a 19,000 seat arena knowing that the city can hardly fill a 16,000 seat arena at the moment? From a clearly business perspective does this sound reasonable?

The simple fact is this.....The city of Pittsburgh has only shown interest in the NHL when they have the best player in the league. Historically speaking, it requires a hockey god to fill the seats in the Mellon Arena. so maybe they have hope with Crosby, but this certainly doesn't prove to me they deserve any special treatment from Bettman.

Attendance isn't always the reason for a team move. Quebec had very good attendance but a small arena and we all know my thoughts on Hartfords attendance. The whole point here is BETTMAN. Where the heck was he 10 years agao when these cities lost their teams. When I see the lengths he'll go to save the pens I get ticked off. If he had done that in Hartford, I would have been enjoying the cup last year. The nord fans would have enjoyed their cup also. I don't want the pens to move but if they must, we'll build them a nice new home here in Hartford!!!