The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
puckhead63

The Pens...Bettman...won't make the same mistake twice

I realize that Kansas City is bigger than Oklahoma City, but I've heard several times about Oklahoma City wanting a team to put in their new arena (since they can't seem to keep the NBA Hornets for good) - does Kansas City have a decent arena to compete? They're building the state-of-the-art Sprint Center, but it's due to open late 2007/early 2008...is that soon enough?

Wondering out loud here. :P

OKC? A team? Surely you don't mean hockey. There isn't a chance in hell that OKC could EVER support a hockey team. I've been there, I've lived there, I've played hockey there. All the rinks suck because there is no interested in building anything better for people. Their roofs leak causing a horrible fog on the ice. They don't show any hockey and no one cares about it. Yeah, that's not ever going to happen. I don't think Carmen has signed up on these boards but she used to talk on the old, and she's still out there at school (OU is where we went) and she can tell you, there's maybe a thousand people in the entire state who would even watch hockey. Yeah, definitely not OKC :wink:

I've also heard people mention OKC as wanting a team. They build that arena, they need somthing in it. Maybe (more than likely) the NHL isn't their first choice.

Yeah, the Sprint Center in KC is set to open October of 2007, just in time for next season.

Also, don't sell OKC short on hockey. They have a NHL-capable arena in the Ford Center that was built in 2002, I think. They also have a CHL team (That's Central, not Canadian) which has apparently been somewhat successful, according to Wiki at least:

The current incarnation of the Blazers came into being in 1992 with the revival of the CHL, and has been one of the most successful minor league hockey franchises of all time, routinely drawing 8,000 fans or more and even matching a couple National Hockey League clubs for seasonal attendance over the years.

Who knew? I mean, 8,000 is starting to be a pretty good night in NJ. :P

I read this on the penguins site and it sums up Bettman perfectly....

Bettman's statement may be a calculated way to put pressure for a Plan B. I don't understand why he didn't make as strong of a statement before the vote...pressuring for IOC.

Saying Bettman has been acting like a windshieldwiper NOW is a bit off. Saying his interests are with the LEAGUE is laughable.

This is the guy who came to the NHL with admittedly very little knowledge of hockey. He became the commisioner of the NHL to better market it - like he did while at the NBA.

The fact is, under his watch, the NHL saw falling TV ratings and a style of play that neither fans nor the talented players liked. At the same time, salaries increased to the point that many teams just could not compete. He almost destroyed hockey.

In 1992, Lemieux knew the league was terrible, and called it a "garage" league. The NHL was not allowing the talented players to be able show their skills. Bettman thought the NHL would do better with low scoring, "competitve" games. He was wrong, Lemiuex was right.

Now, after many years of terrible hockey and rising salaries, the NHL changed. It went back to a game that allowed its stars to shine - just as Lemieux said the league should be....he said this in 1992.

Why Bettman didn't realize the NHL product was terrible for so many years is beyond me. Why, under is watch, the league changed rules and officiating to create such a boring NHL is beyond me. Why Gary Bettman is still the Commissioner is beyond me. The man has done nothing but bad since being in the NHL.

Some say he recently changed the league around, and it is on the rise. This is correct; however, he was a big reason why the league needed such a change.

It is time for him to go. Not because of the slot vote, but because he is a terrible commissioner.

Stuff like this is one of many indicators.

Statement from Mario:

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/team/press/arts/2215.0.php

Recent developments, including Wednesday’s decision by the PGCB, and the recent termination of the purchase agreement by Jim Balsillie have convinced us that it is time to take control of our own destiny. Accordingly, starting Thursday, the team is off the market, and we will begin to explore relocation options in cities outside Pennsylvania. After seven years of trying to work out a new arena deal exclusively in Pittsburgh, we need to take into consideration the long-term viability of the team and begin discussions with other cities that may be interested in NHL teams.

As soon as we are no longer restricted by our agreement with Isle of Capri from negotiating an arena deal here, in the next few weeks, we will also begin discussions with local leaders about a viable Pittsburgh arena plan.

We will have no further comment at this time.

He doesn't rule out staying in Pittsburgh, but the Pens are officially looking elsewhere.

Kansas City had their own poll and they would rather have another sport then the NHL. To answer the other post..."size doesn't matter" because Raleigh is smaller than Hartford. I already said where I would like to see the pens ( first Pittsburgh ofcourse)

Yeah, the Sprint Center in KC is set to open October of 2007, just in time for next season.

Also, don't sell OKC short on hockey. They have a NHL-capable arena in the Ford Center that was built in 2002, I think. They also have a CHL team (That's Central, not Canadian) which has apparently been somewhat successful, according to Wiki at least:

The current incarnation of the Blazers came into being in 1992 with the revival of the CHL, and has been one of the most successful minor league hockey franchises of all time, routinely drawing 8,000 fans or more and even matching a couple National Hockey League clubs for seasonal attendance over the years.

Who knew? I mean, 8,000 is starting to be a pretty good night in NJ. :P

The blazers are a bunch of thugs. The state loves to get together to see the OKC Blazers and the Tulsa Oilers get together because half the game is just fighting. They don't really care as much about hockey. Trust me, they have tried to have pro teams in that state before and it's never worked. The NBA thing recently was the best they have ever done, and basketball, football, or baseball are certainly the only possibilities there.

It's very different than people saying hockey wouldn't work in NC. That was mainly the arrogant Canadian press who had no clue anything about NC. Also, without the number of transplants we have from the north, we probably really couldn't support a team. I was actually born and lived the last few years of my life in Oklahoma. It WOULD NOT work. I can promise you.

Please, for anybody who regularly attends NHL games and feels this is an important cause, Penguins fans are requesting that hockey fans around the nation bring a sign to the game that says something along the lines of "Keep the Pens in Pittsburgh." Any sort of help would be greatly appreciated. We are all desperate that we do not lose our beloved team. Thank you all for your concern.

Don't know how much good it'll do for your cause since I sit up in the (DUH!) 300 sections & probably no one that matters will see it, but I'll bring one for you & the team anyways. Good luck w/ keeping the Pens.

Don't know how much good it'll do for your cause since I sit up in the (DUH!) 300 sections & probably no one that matters will see it, but I'll bring one for you & the team anyways. Good luck w/ keeping the Pens.

Thanks. We're not really expecting a significant effect. We'd just like to increase the awareness of the situation.

That was mainly the arrogant Canadian press who had no clue anything about NC.

The Hurricanes have so far recorded the second lowest attendance rating then any other team as defending stanley cup champions. Only team i think that has done worse in that category was NJ. They may be arrogant, but their accusations aren't "way" off.

The Canes could sell out every single game for the next 20 years and Carolina would still hear accusations that hockey doesn't belong and won't work down South. I think the only thing that would quiet the critics is if Raleigh was somehow lifted up and dropped back down at a higher latitude, for most preferably north of the Canada/US border. Then the team can do no wrong, even if only a dozen people go to the games.

Case in point: New Jersey. Horrible attendance despite a perennially competitive team, yet no one ever mentions them when talks of relocation or contraction come up.

Carolina would still hear accusations that hockey doesn't belong and won't work down South.

I never said that....I was responding to the "arrogant" comment....And Tampa Bay muffs your theory anyway. You're absolutely right about New Jersey though, however their problem isn't that no one likes hockey, NJ's problem is everyone in the surrounding area are already Ranger fans.

Besides Flanker....weren't you the one who said Canada should lose ALL their teams, because if we love the sport that much we'll still watch an all American NHL?

Anyways...back on topic.

It's going to look good on Bettman having a team relocate immediately after signing what he claimed to be a great CBA.

apologies didnt realize i wrote an encyclopedia... if the canes sold out everygame for 20 years hockeysouth would gain a lot of respect from the people up north showing that they grown attached to the sport, but you cant even sell out all your games after you win the cup so what does that say (no intentions of trying to rip you guys down or implying the stick to nascar fan waste.) then again hockey is still young in carolina only 10 years in fact so your fan base will defiently get bigger i feel with more years with the team in the community. just becasue of ones geography to the north, south, east, west or whatever it shouldnt set the standard for being a "true" hockey fan as some people feel like since their from the north their higher in the caste. some people up here just feel you don't have the same appreciation and interest as we do. then when carolina and tampa win the cup people tend to get jealous/angry because they feel you are undeserving and the cup doesnt have the desired impact on you as it would have on them.

as for your new jersey point everyone in that region is a ranger fan not a hockey fan. if say the nhl put a team in charlotte they probaly wouldnt draw well because their not hockey fans their already hurricane fans.

If any fan of another team finds themselves having a "problem" w/ certain aspects of our franchise & it's about a topic that has already been covered at length, then they should please feel free to go to the boards of the team that they DO support & post all about it THERE. I'm not obligated to do so, but I'm giving yet another warning about turning yet another thread into the Hurricanes attendance issue. This thread will be getting dangerously close to extinction if it continues to go the route of the last several posts in re of this very thing. It has been done TO DEATH on here over the last several months now & to continue to harp on our attendance any longer will be considered completely disrespectful & won't be tolerated, esp. if people have been asked or have been told repeatedly not to keep harping on it. We won't tolerate being disrespected on our own boards, esp. by people who don't even support our team (we don't tolerate disrespect from our own members, for that matter). If this thread should continue to follow the same route of the last several posts & it gets locked, don't bother to PM me about it - you will not get a response, for my reply to you is right here in this post. That's all you need to know about why it's been locked.

Now, w/ my having posted that, let's continue this thread w/ the original topic at hand, which is Bettman & the situation w/ the Pittsburgh Penguins, NOT what other teams' fans think about what our game attendances are & are not. I do want to take this opportunity thank everyone in this thread for keeping the conversation not only civilized, but also interesting to read. Now, please continue....

- Deanna.

although I disagree with 300 on discussing attendance issues and comparisons with other cup winners as being disrespectful. I do agree that this thread should stick to it's original content.

The whaler board ofcourse is going crazy with the pens news....( it would be nice to offer a new arena...if we had one) anyway. NHL news on sattelite radio is stating Hartford would be the choice because of ESPN headquarters down the road. The next few weeks or so will be interesting...(please, NO kansas city)

If the Pens move, it will be to KC. That's almost a given. The main sticking point seems to be getting a new, bigger arena. KC has one that'll be up and ready by next season. No arena construction negotiations, no having to wait for an arena.

The only issue is whether or not Pittsburgh will give the Pens a new arena under terms good enough to keep them there.

If the Pens move, it will be to KC. That's almost a given. The main sticking point seems to be getting a new, bigger arena. KC has one that'll be up and ready by next season. No arena construction negotiations, no having to wait for an arena.

The only issue is whether or not Pittsburgh will give the Pens a new arena under terms good enough to keep them there.

Probabaly it would be KC.....ofcourse I keep hoping for Hartford. Most likely the new arena could be approved very quickly. That was going to be decided with or without a team. ESPN could be a factor be it a small one. I would love to see that first canes vs whalers game, damn I would fly to Raleigh if I had to!!

This is wy the NHL is stupid for strong arming Balsillie out of the picture. The man is a billionaire....Every league would jump at the chance of getting billionaire to buy a struggling franchise. Balsillie wasn't trying to buy the team to make money, he was strictly looking for novelty purposes.

If the penguins end up moving, Balsillie had the money to fund and make anything possible. Now Bettman is eating his words.