The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
puckhead63

The Pens...Bettman...won't make the same mistake twice

This is wy the NHL is stupid for strong arming Balsillie out of the picture. The man is a billionaire....Every league would jump at the chance of getting billionaire to buy a struggling franchise. Balsillie wasn't trying to buy the team to make money, he was strictly looking for novelty purposes.

If the penguins end up moving, Balsillie had the money to fund and make anything possible. Now Bettman is eating his words.

agreed

What people don't realise is that Balsillie was already taken to court over copy right infringements on the name "blackberry". He paid off the plaintiff over 600 million dollars before they even seen a day in court and he's still loaded. The man doesn't seem to be worried about money. He just wants to have fun with an NHL franchise.

On Penguins Site:

MARIO LEMIEUX STATEMENT

12/21/2006

Recent developments, including Wednesday’s decision by the PGCB, and the recent termination of the purchase agreement by Jim Balsillie have convinced us that it is time to take control of our own destiny. Accordingly, starting Thursday, the team is off the market, and we will begin to explore relocation options in cities outside Pennsylvania.

Full statement can be found at:

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/team/press/arts/2215.0.php

That was mainly the arrogant Canadian press who had no clue anything about NC.

The Hurricanes have so far recorded the second lowest attendance rating then any other team as defending stanley cup champions. Only team i think that has done worse in that category was NJ. They may be arrogant, but their accusations aren't "way" off.

Also, not to get onto attendance, rather the opposite. I wasn't only talking attendance. I was also talking about the whole "hockey will never work" thing. We may not have the most fans, but we certainly support our team well for what fans we do have. Everyone around here like the canes whether or not they go to the games or not. In Oklahoma they just can't support a pro sports team. I've lived there and wished they could, but they just can't. They can't even support a football team and in case you've never been out there, football is HUGE there like in Texas. If everyone there knows and likes football and they can't support a football team, there's sure no way they could support a hockey team.

I'm not trying to be negative about anything or belittle them, I'm just telling you that I've lived there and I can tell you that if they brought a team there, they'd be lucky if they got 3000-5000 people every night. The only reason the Hornets did anything there was because it was a novelty. They haven't had a pro team, so for a season or two you'd see good attendance, then it'd wear off and everyone would move on with normal life. It's unfortunately just the facts of Oklahoma.

Icefrog....

Like I said before, Balsillie is the only person with the money to bail the Penguins out. The question is how hard is he willing to push to keep the team in Pittsburgh. That's the irony.

AJerman....

I've already gotten in trouble once in this thread for bringing up Hurricane attendance, so I'm not going to repeat. What you claim to be Canadian arrogance, is hardly arrogance at all. It has more to do with Canadian identity. If you'd like me to explain, PM me and I'll tell you all about it. I'm not taking the risk of getting in trouble a second time.

AJerman....

I've already gotten in trouble once in this thread for bringing up Hurricane attendance, so I'm not going to repeat. What you claim to be Canadian arrogance, is hardly arrogance at all. It has more to do with Canadian identity. If you'd like me to explain, PM me and I'll tell you all about it. I'm not taking the risk of getting in trouble a second time.

I didn't mention anything about the Canes, that was my whole point and exactly why 300Section made her warning. ;)