The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
IceFrog999

Lightning Sign Recchi

Since Pittsburg said no to them, I dont see that she had much of a choice ;)

I think Recchi has a underlying goal of playing for all the southeast teams.

Not only that but I think he wants to do it within 4 seasons.

Didnt his wife say no to staying here

Since Pittsburg said no to them, I dont see that she had much of a choice ;)

He is just following the "green" like everyone else. Looks like the Bolts are gonna put up a fight for the division title this year.

Defense? Who needs defense?

Tampa Bay's going to play with 6 forwards on the ice at all times.

I have no clue what those guys in Tampa are trying to build...they already had the market cornered on all types of forwards. I guess now they can check off "the most 40+ year old forwards" box too!

New Tampa Owner: "Okay, what kind of players could we get that can bring in the fans?"

Tampa marketing director: "Well, there's lots of retirees around Florida. Maybe if we bring in a bunch of older hockey players that are about to retire the fans can relate better."

New Tampa Owner: "Genius!"

Is there a player they aren't going to try and sign? What are their lines going to look like? They're really going for all out offense. I'm going to assume that Melrose employs a run-and-gun offense.

i keep waiting for the lightning to sign a free agent defenseman or trade for someone to anchor that young defense they now have, but they just keep adding forwards. their official page has 15 forwards listed and that's not counting recchi. And as i looked at the list, i really didn't see the potential for four great lines there. they have to count on vrbata matching his career high from last year which was well above the 15-18 goals he normally gets, malone to take his game to a much higher level, stamkos to come right in and be the second-line center and recchi to provide the 20-25 goals he's been capable of for the last few years. with a predominately young defense, they are taking quite a few risks. i have no idea how this team is going to look on the ice. if all the pieces fall into place, they could be spectacular. if not, it could get real ugly real quick for melrose.

i keep waiting for the lightning to sign a free agent defenseman or trade for someone to anchor that young defense they now have, but they just keep adding forwards. their official page has 15 forwards listed and that's not counting recchi. And as i looked at the list, i really didn't see the potential for four great lines there. they have to count on vrbata matching his career high from last year which was well above the 15-18 goals he normally gets, malone to take his game to a much higher level, stamkos to come right in and be the second-line center and recchi to provide the 20-25 goals he's been capable of for the last few years. with a predominately young defense, they are taking quite a few risks. i have no idea how this team is going to look on the ice. if all the pieces fall into place, they could be spectacular. if not, it could get real ugly real quick for melrose.

He also got that while playing a lot of minutes in Phoenix, so I would think to match that he'd need to play at least as many minutes on the top line in Tampa. Don't see it happening at all, though.

At least you can commend their efforts to do something unlike ATL and FLA which really haven't done anything at all to improve their team.

I don't think the moves TB made were the best as mentioned, but who knows, there is still a lot of time left and more trades/signings could be made. I wouldn't worry unless everything just seems to fall into perfect place for them, which is unlikely. Keep in mind not only is there defense questionable, but their goalie situation isn't much better, we had a field day whenever we faced mike, kolzig is old and is wanning in skill, and Ramo is young and unexperienced, I don't remember him playing that well last year either.

They've got to be setting up for a trade for some defensemen or real live starting goalie, right? I mean, their plan can't be to just sign every forward available and hope to make a team out of that, right?

...right?

He also got that while playing a lot of minutes in Phoenix, so I would think to match that he'd need to play at least as many minutes on the top line in Tampa. Don't see it happening at all, though.

great point. with the amount of people that they've signed, when the whole lineup is healthy, vrbata will most likely be getting third line minutes. you figure st. louis and recchi would be the first two right wingers, not to mention a glut at left wing with prospal, malone, jokinen and roberts. and who knows what kind of combos melrose is going to come up with. i didn't even think of how many minutes vrbata would get when i made my first comment; it's going to be tough for him to repeat last season's success.