The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac23

Commie to Columbus

Columbus signs UFA defenceman Mike Commodore to a 5 year deal worth $18.75-million.

Good for Commie... in a way... well, not entirely..

Do you have a link?

That's a pretty big payday for Commie. It'll be interesting to see if he can put up numbers and be responsible with the puck to imporve on that -9 he had to finish last season with to justify the outlay of that much cash.

Wow. Hello giant payday. I love Commie but holy *edit* he doesn't command that sort of money! But hey, good for him and I hope he has a great run in Columbus.

great guy, columbus GM is out of his mind. In most trades I think to myself wait and see, but I think they will regret this. Is the defensive talent pool that shallow? I wish him well but they overpaid.

This is proof possitive of why J.R. went the trade route for defense rather than UFA.

Post of the week. :)

Columbus signs UFA defenceman Mike Commodore to a 5 year deal worth $18.75-million.

Good for Commie... in a way... well, not entirely..

do we know what the average dollar amount per penalty that would be?? LOL

His salary would be MUCH MUCH higher if it was a per penalty pay! LOL

More power to the Blue Jackets if they want to overpay defensemen.

Sure, he averages 120 penalty minutes a season, so that would be $31,250 a penalty minute, making each minor penalty worth $62,250, and majors worth a cool $156,250.

Oh wait, you were joking... :)

I'd nominate this as a Post of The Week...

It's factual, insightful...and humorus...a perftect storm..

Sure, he averages 120 penalty minutes a season, so that would be $31,250 a penalty minute, making each minor penalty worth $62,250, and majors worth a cool $156,250.

I'd fight someone for $156,250. :lol:

Aw, I feel bad for him and Filatov. Stuck in Columbus, the only team in the NHL never to make a playoff appearance. Hey, well, if you like money more than winning, why not.

Just an update for the Commie fans on his reaction to going to Columbus, ugh positive reaction-duh 15 million reasons he's happy.

http://www.nhlpa.com/Content/Feature.asp?contentId=3837

"When it came to what jersey he was going to be wearing in 2008-09, nervous wasn't the best word to describe how Mike Commodore was feeling.

There were a handful of teams interested in Commodore, the Alberta native who just finished his seventh National Hockey League season, including a Western Conference club that appealed to the blueliner.

So, when Commodore finally signed as a free agent on July 1, his thoughts immediately turned to the start of the 2008-09 campaign.

"I wasn't nervous, but I was certainly anxious," said the 28-year-old, who was originally drafted by the New Jersey Devils 42nd overall in 1999. "I had spoken with a few teams, but Columbus was the place where I really wanted to play."

Commodore got his wish, signing a five-year, $18.75-million contract (U.S.) with the Blue Jackets.

The 6'4", 230-pound defenceman is looking to put a trying 2007-08 season behind him and help Columbus secure a playoff berth this year.

"Last year was tough," said Commodore, who dealt with nagging injuries in 2007-08, including a broken finger and a bruised leg. "I had some injuries and it was an up and down time in Ottawa."

Changing uniforms hasn't been out of the ordinary for Commodore throughout his time in the NHL.

He was traded with Petr Sykora, Igor Pohanka and Jean-Francois Damphousse to the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim for Jeff Friesen, Oleg Tverdovsky and Maxim Balmochnykh, on July 6, 2002.

Less than a year later, Commodore, along with Damphousse, was dealt to Calgary for Rob Niedermayer.

On July 29, 2005, the Flames traded Commodore to the Carolina Hurricanes for a 3rd round selection (Gord Baldwin) in 2005.

This February, Carolina traded Corey Stillman and Commodore to the Ottawa Senators for Joe Corvo and Patrick Eaves.

"Wherever I play, I just do whatever it takes to help the team win," said Commodore, who is four games shy of 300 NHL regular season contests. "There really isn't anything fancy about my game. I just do what I do."

Blocking shots, throwing stiff checks, dropping the gloves, Commodore brings a balanced approach to his position.

He'll be looking to do more of the same in Columbus.

"It's a great opportunity for me," he noted. "It's simple, really, but I just want to fit in, play hard and compete every night."

In three seasons at North Dakota, Commodore scored 10 goals and 20 assists for 30 points, and added 382 penalty minutes in 106 games. In his final season at North Dakota (1999-2000), Commodore helped the Fighting Sioux capture the NCAA Championship.

Commodore started the 2000-2001 season with the Albany River Rats of the AHL, but was called up by the Devils and played his first NHL game in the early portion of the season.

No doubt his biggest NHL accomplishment came in 2006 when a member of the Hurricanes.

Throughout the 2006 Cup Finals, Commodore delivered a never-ending number of hits and blocked a total of 44 shots. He and the rest of his Carolina teammates were rewarded for their efforts by becoming NHL champions that year.

He was also a member of the 2007 Canadian IIHF World Championship team that won gold in a 4*2 win against Finland in Moscow.

It afforded him the chance to play alongside some of hockey's top stars, including Columbus standout Rick Nash.

"That was the first time I played with him and I was really impressed," said Commodore, of the dynamic forward who has been one of the league's top offensive Players over the past five seasons. "He has a lot of talent and is very creative.

"I also played with (Blue Jackets forward) Jason Chimera, too. He's a hard-working guy who knows how to do the little things. But those are just two guys that come to mind. When I look at the lineup, you have plenty to be optimistic about."

All of which is reason enough to have Commodore feeling like a rookie again.

"I really am looking forward to this year. It's definitely going to be exciting. Getting into the playoffs will be the goal."

For now, Commodore will be staying busy in the southwestern United States, gearing up for his first season in Ohio.

"I don't really have any specific plans for the summer," he offered. "I'm in San Diego, where I'll be working out and making sure I'm in good shape for training camp. I can't wait to get to Columbus to meet the guys, check out the city and get ready to play."

By the time he gets to Columbus, Commodore's phone bill might still be climbing.

"I think my cell phone is going to blow up," he said. "I've been getting calls from a lot of the guys congratulating me and wishing me luck. I've also received a ton of text messages, too. It's great."

But, as his new teammates will quickly discover, Commodore is the type to always answer the call."