The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Thrashers actually signed someone

Hainsey has the leadership and the veteran experience that the Thrashers need to lead them to the Stanley Cup

.... :lol:

Oh man, I have a feeling this is just a signing so the Thrashers can reach the cap floor.

OH GREAT, EVERYBODY ELSE IS LOADING UP WHILE WE'RE SIGNING PLAYERS WHO HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING IN YEARS.

Phew. That felt good.

On a good note, JR never has given away big bucks to some bandage bust like other teams do...he always makes the sensible deals and stuff.

This team needs to do SOMETHING or they will place 30th in the league... but then again, maybe thats their strategy this year. Lose every game and get the 1st round pick. Interesting...

Well, let's see. They've got no defenders apart from Enstrom and Hainsey, and Hainsey is an offensive guy. They've got no forwards apart from Kovalchuk, and they've got no reliable number one goaltender, as Lehtonen is far too inconsistent and injury-prone to be one of those.

Yep, division title, here we come.

Thrashers sign Jason Williams

The Atlanta Thrashers have signed forward Jason Williams to a 1-year, $2.2 million contract, reports A-Channel in London.

The unrestricted free agent spent last season with the Chicago Blackhawks and scored 13 goals, with 23 assists over his 43 games.

Williams missed 35 games with a sports hernia.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=243386&lid...os=secStory_nhl

Thrashers sign Jason Williams

The Atlanta Thrashers have signed forward Jason Williams to a 1-year, $2.2 million contract, reports A-Channel in London.

The unrestricted free agent spent last season with the Chicago Blackhawks and scored 13 goals, with 23 assists over his 43 games.

Williams missed 35 games with a sports hernia.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=243386&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_nhl' target="_blank">http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=243386&lid...os=secStory_nhl[/post]

I'm pretty sure Jason Williams is under contract with the Hurricanes.

[sarcasm Warning]

I'm pretty sure Jason Williams is under contract with the Hurricanes.

[sarcasm Warning]

LOL, I thought that was funny. ;)

Now that Jason Williams is in our divison, the odds of the media getting either of the Williams's name correct are pretty unlikely. They couldnt get it right when they both played in different conferences, so it can only get worse in the same division.

I thought it was funny when this story first broke. Because the Senators had apparently already signed Williams like a week ago. So when TSN first reported it, it had "Thrashers sign Williams?"

I thought it was funny when this story first broke. Because the Senators had apparently already signed Williams like a week ago. So when TSN first reported it, it had "Thrashers sign Williams?"

Dammit, who put the question mark on the teleprompter again?!

Yay for anyone who catches the Anchorman reference.

And the Thrashers signed Jason Williams? Oh good god, we're gonna have to watch out for them now... :rolleyes:

Dammit, who put the question mark on the teleprompter again?!

Yay for anyone who catches the Anchorman reference.

And the Thrashers signed Jason Williams? Oh good god, we're gonna have to watch out for them now... :rolleyes:

Guys you know Ron will read anything you put on there

I glanced at the MB and I swore that said Justin Williams. I about had a heart attack. Now I need to go have a drink to calm down before I think about the rest of the news. After all who knows what will jump out at me next.

Jason Williams isn't a bad player. Played pretty decently last year aside from the hernia. The Thrashers aren't scaring anyone, but Kovalchuk will win them a few games singlehandedly so they will still not be too fun to play against IMO

hey everyone

i'm from atlanta and just wanted to say a few things

i'm not trying to star a fight so i'll try and avoid doing so

the thrashers major problem last year was defense

we were consistantly allowing 35-40 shots a game and despite this lehtonen had a save percentage of .916 and was in the top five in save percentage after the all star break

he had a groin injury last year so he won't have another one until 10-11 season if he stays on schedule(plus he has been conditioning quite a bit)

a poster on the thrahser boards posted some numbers this morning that indicated that if kari faced about 8-12 shots fewer per night last year we would have had similar goals against per game as detroit and if we scored about half a goal more per game we would have had the same goals for per game as detroit

so if our defense can allow 28-32 shots per night(which really shouldn't be too hard for an nhl defense) we would have a goals against average of around 2.18 which most nhl teams can win with

with the additions of ron hainsey and increased playing time for boris valabik, along with possible aditions of bogosian and ilya nikulin and the better puck control system of john anderson who will finally do away with the horrible dump and chase that has become the thrashers trade mark i'm hoping that it wouldn't be too hard for atlanta to give up a less rediculous number of shots and result in fewer goals scored against us

add in the fact that we have some promising young players(little, christiansen, armstrong) and we have gotten rid of tyhe millions of dollars of dead weight that was lumberjack holik and zhitnik, and of course kovalchuk and i think that the thrashers could be one of the surprising teams this season and possibly even make the playoffs

of course we could also be even worse then last year but i'm a little more on the optomistic side

anyway good luck with the upcoming season adn i look forward to watching our teams compete

hey everyone

i'm from atlanta and just wanted to say a few things

i'm not trying to star a fight so i'll try and avoid doing so

the thrashers major problem last year was defense

we were consistantly allowing 35-40 shots a game and despite this lehtonen had a save percentage of .916 and was in the top five in save percentage after the all star break

he had a groin injury last year so he won't have another one until 10-11 season if he stays on schedule(plus he has been conditioning quite a bit)

a poster on the thrahser boards posted some numbers this morning that indicated that if kari faced about 8-12 shots fewer per night last year we would have had similar goals against per game as detroit and if we scored about half a goal more per game we would have had the same goals for per game as detroit

so if our defense can allow 28-32 shots per night(which really shouldn't be too hard for an nhl defense) we would have a goals against average of around 2.18 which most nhl teams can win with

with the additions of ron hainsey and increased playing time for boris valabik, along with possible aditions of bogosian and ilya nikulin and the better puck control system of john anderson who will finally do away with the horrible dump and chase that has become the thrashers trade mark i'm hoping that it wouldn't be too hard for atlanta to give up a less rediculous number of shots and result in fewer goals scored against us

add in the fact that we have some promising young players(little, christiansen, armstrong) and we have gotten rid of tyhe millions of dollars of dead weight that was lumberjack holik and zhitnik, and of course kovalchuk and i think that the thrashers could be one of the surprising teams this season and possibly even make the playoffs

of course we could also be even worse then last year but i'm a little more on the optomistic side

anyway good luck with the upcoming season adn i look forward to watching our teams compete

Hope your team does well this season... as long as its not against the Canes =)

It's your team, and your right to be optimistic, and you do have some potential good defensemen. At least, they'll be good down the road. Right now, I don't see the Thrashers as much of a threat.

Maybe they should come up with a load of prospects, now that they're obviously facing so much problems in getting players signed. At least: there's nothing to loose for the thrashers, and even more important than a short success making the playoffs in 2009 will be a steady core of players that can match up over a long time.

I'd just bring up Bogosian and Nikulin, and maybe a number of other faithful prospects, and see how they work it out. If it takes a year longer for them to really make an impact: so be it.

Maybe they should come up with a load of prospects, now that they're obviously facing so much problems in getting players signed. At least: there's nothing to loose for the thrashers, and even more important than a short success making the playoffs in 2009 will be a steady core of players that can match up over a long time.

I'd just bring up Bogosian and Nikulin, and maybe a number of other faithful prospects, and see how they work it out. If it takes a year longer for them to really make an impact: so be it.

that is exactly what we are doing

we are going to have at least 3 players playing their first full season this year, possibly more

i can also garuntee you that if we are able to get nikilun to come over from russia finally that bogosian will most likely not play for us this year

if we add nikilun we will have to demote havelid and enstrom to the second pairing leaving just two spots for valabik, exelby, klee, and bogosian

valabik has proven he deserves a shot and there is no way we would be able to move both exelby and klee(much less stomach their prices as a healthy scratch) so i doubt that bogosian will be on the team this year unless it is tword the end of the season or at the very begining