The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ThunderBall

Edmonton article with Cole

Yep, you called it just like I see it too. NO JOB SKILLS! I sure would love to give him a peice of my southern mind.

Why don't you email him? Remind him what real journalist and writers are, at real papers like the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, L.A. Times, Washington Post, Chicago Tribune...

Or was this section suppose to be in the funnies??? :blink:

dog fighting ring? Is he talking about Vick? Vick played in Atlanta. The ring was in Virginia. this guy is as bad at geography as brittany spears.

That's an insult to Britney, more like Miss South Carolina... :P

dog fighting ring? Is he talking about Vick? Vick played in Atlanta. The ring was in Virginia. this guy is as bad at geography as brittany spears.

Should this be in "Around the NHL" now??? <_<

Yup, tough to remember that Cole is an Oiler now. Not exactly Hurricane talk anymore. :huh:

Moving over to around the nhl.

That's an insult to Britney, more like Miss South Carolina... :P

What are you talking about she knows all about "The Iraq" :lol:

Anyways this guy needs to get out of his mom's basement and come down here to see what its like before he rips on us. I can say that I have met about 3 NASCAR fans in my life, and none of them are really that passionate about it. And honestly you can say that the NFL outweighs hockey pretty much any city in America (excluding a few teams such as the Minnesota Vikings).

I told him that I guess the NHL "national" should remain only in Canada and then hockey would be really huge. Like I stated earlier it doesn't really matter what I said, but I sure got a load off my mind. lol!

As much as the text rub me a bit raw, it was not untrue. The writer pretty much summed it up, didn't he? Tough words to take, but hopefully this will get forwarded to marketing...............wait, do we have a marketing department?

he made it sound worse than it really is.

whats funny is in upstate NY (where cole is from) football nascar and soccer are a lot bigger than hockey. odd isn't it?

As much as the text rub me a bit raw, it was not untrue. The writer pretty much summed it up, didn't he? Tough words to take, but hopefully this will get forwarded to marketing...............wait, do we have a marketing department?
He went over-the-top in his lines, though. But he was writing for his local readers, not us, and I'm sure they love all that 'Edmonton is the greatest place to play hockey' and 'Hockey doesn't belong in the southern U.S.' stuff. The irony, of course, is players DO NOT want to play in Edmonton! They are having a hard time in Oil Country attracting and keeping talent. But, it's a lot easier/safer for this writer to pick on Carolina then point out that all is not well in Edmonton.

Typical Canadian writer trying to get people to actually read what he says so he goes stereotypical. Should ask him how does he feel when he has to club a seal just to eat. :lol:

Notice Cole does not say anything bad about Raleigh or the Canes but this guy takes what he says and turns it negative against Raleigh and the Canes.

It’s called "no job skills."

http://edmontonsun.com/Sports/Hockey/2008/07/25/6260441-sun.html' target="_blank">http://edmontonsun.com/Sports/Hockey/2008/...260441-sun.html[/post]

The seal hunts are in the Canadian maritimes, and it's done to keep the fishing industry afloat. If you're going to throw out stereotypes, at least get the geography correct. Edmonton, Alberta doesn't have a single major body of water adjacent to it. The stereotype of Albertans is much the same as Texans.....they like their guns, hate taxes, and all want to grow up to be cowboys.

"My kids are really excited that they're going to see a winter. I called my daughter yesterday and told her we were here and the first thing she asked was how much snow is there. I told her it won't snow till late October or November, then you'll be able to go outside and play in it."

An Edmonton winter :blink:

That novelty wears off REAL fast.

As for the article itself.....the reporter is being a dink, but the crux of his argument isn't completely off base. It's not uncommon to wake up in July and find the front page of the newspaper to be hockey related. The amount of media coverage on Sundin right now is giving me a migraine.

The easiest way to shut guys like this up, would be to get as many people as you can to show up to Hurricane games, no one can point fingers at an healthy market.

The seal hunts are in the Canadian maritimes, and it's done to keep the fishing industry afloat. If you're going to throw out stereotypes, at least get the geography correct. Edmonton, Alberta doesn't have a single major body of water adjacent to it. The stereotype of Albertans is much the same as Texans.....they like their guns, hate taxes, and all want to grow up to be cowboys.

"My kids are really excited that they're going to see a winter. I called my daughter yesterday and told her we were here and the first thing she asked was how much snow is there. I told her it won't snow till late October or November, then you'll be able to go outside and play in it."

An Edmonton winter :blink:

That novelty wears off REAL fast.

yep, snow is fun for the first 5-10 days. Beyond that it becomes "when will this stuff ever melt".

Why don't you email him? Remind him what real journalist and writers are, at real papers like the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, L.A. Times, Washington Post, Chicago Tribune...

I think you are giving "journalism" more respect than they've earned. Not much "realism" in those publications either.

yep, snow is fun for the first 5-10 days. Beyond that it becomes "when will this stuff ever melt".

or my back hurts....why didn't i invest in a snowblower.

Mind you, up here, we do get a good chuckle whenever you guys get hit with 2 inchs of snow and the whole city shuts down.

or my back hurts....why didn't i invest in a snowblower.

Mind you, up here, we do get a good chuckle whenever you guys get hit with 2 inchs of snow and the whole city shuts down.

2 inches? more like a 1/2 inch.

Yeah, that is pretty pathetic. The main thing we shut things down for is ice, but it's always fun to have school canceled because of a 1/2 inch of snow!

About the article, yeah that guy is being a jerk, but the way to shut him up is to support our team and hope they get into the playoffs and make a good run. I know this isn't in our hands too much, but selling seats and generating revenue that then gets invested into the team, hopefully making the team better is what we need to do to gain more respect.

Yeah, that is pretty pathetic. The main thing we shut things down for is ice, but it's always fun to have school canceled because of a 1/2 inch of snow!

About the article, yeah that guy is being a jerk, but the way to shut him up is to support our team and hope they get into the playoffs and make a good run. I know this isn't in our hands too much, but selling seats and generating revenue that then gets invested into the team, hopefully making the team better is what we need to do to gain more respect.

it wasn't all that bad, as stated earlier he wrote for his audience which isn't us. i share most of his opinions of southern teams (atlanta, florida, etc.) but we are the exception to the rule. we are able to muster a serious fan base because this area is full of passionate sports fans whether they are dukies, tarholes, or pack folks. we love our sports and love NASCAR, given several winning season the RBC Center will sell out every game.

The truth is the Canes do compete with ACC basketball, and NASCAR to a degree, neither of which is an issue for Edmonton. Overall I think the team competes very well in this environment. What got me ticked was including us in the list of places to which the NHL should never have expanded. That's plain wrong and shows a lack of understanding of non-traditional hockey markets. I am not even sure such a list should exist. Each fan base deserves some respect.

I am sure it will be eye-opening for Erik to receive the press he'll get there.. he may have to remember not to read if they're not winning.

Well Edmonton does have the Eskimos (CFL team) who house a 60 000 seat stadium. Western Canadians love their football as much as Americans do. In fact if it wasn't for cities like Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and Regina, the CFL would have folded decades ago.

The thing that gets me about Cole is, I always thought his attitude towards Canadian cities was the same as Bill Guerin's: "nice cities, nice people, but I'd rather not play there".

I wouldn't be surprised if Erik packs up his luggage and signs somewhere south of the Canadian border once his contract is up in Edmonton.