The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ThunderBall

Edmonton article with Cole

I wouldn't be surprised if Erik packs up his luggage and signs somewhere south of the Canadian border once his contract is up in Edmonton.

QFT, I can't see him re-signing in Edmonton at all.

Not saying he's coming back here like others will but I seriously doubt he resigns there unless they extremely overpay him.

More like flurries :lol:
Usually it doesn't even take flurries to set the area into full panic mode...just the forecast of snow is sufficient to cause chaos! :D

or my back hurts....why didn't i invest in a snowblower.

Mind you, up here, we do get a good chuckle whenever you guys get hit with 2 inchs of snow and the whole city shuts down.

That's because no one knows how to drive in it except me of course. :P

Mind you, up here, we do get a good chuckle whenever you guys get hit with 2 inchs of snow and the whole city shuts down.

People from the south struggle with driving in the rain so commuting with snow falling is out of the question

To be fair it's no different up north when the first couple of days after there's snow people have forgotten how to drive in it and have to adjust, and so there are a bunch of accidents. It's just down here we never get more than those first couple of days of snow so it's always like that when it does snow. Well, that, and the people that think they can drive like normal (aka speeding) on ice because they've got a 4x4. :blink:

That always makes me glad that they do tend to shut everything down. Yeah, I can drive in it, but I'm more worried about those that can't!

When it comes to snow the city isnt equipped to deal with it, in NJ you would see ginormous mounds of salt and sand just ready to go along the highways. Here whats the point in putting tax money into something that occurs maybe twice a season? Thats a huge maybe.

To be fair it's no different up north when the first couple of days after there's snow people have forgotten how to drive in it and have to adjust, and so there are a bunch of accidents. It's just down here we never get more than those first couple of days of snow so it's always like that when it does snow. Well, that, and the people that think they can drive like normal (aka speeding) on ice because they've got a 4x4. :blink:

That always makes me glad that they do tend to shut everything down. Yeah, I can drive in it, but I'm more worried about those that can't!

Maybe.....but we might be exaggerating that point here. There aren't THAT many accidents, more people do get stuck in the snow however.

If it makes you feel any better.....The mayor of Toronto once called in the army to clear out a foot and a half of snow.....The rest of the province got a good laugh out of that, especially those in Northern Ontario.

Maybe.....but we might be exaggerating that point here. There aren't THAT many accidents, more people do get stuck in the snow however.

If it makes you feel any better.....The mayor of Toronto once called in the army to clear out a foot and a half of snow.....The rest of the province got a good laugh out of that, especially those in Northern Ontario.

Any medals awarded for gallantry on the snowfield?

I gave this man a subtle little jab back. I informed him of the fact that 2 of the last 4 winners of Lord Stanley's Chalice were from the Southeast AND that the Hurricanes that didn't deserve an expansion team... beat his Beloved Oil for said Cup. Hahaha. Love it.

Kara

My email to this fool:

Regarding your "article" entitled "Real Warmth for Cole"

I feel a sense of obligation to correct your incredibly stupid view of hockey in Raleigh. I've read articles such as yours where a "journalist" such as yourself rips other cities that he/she has likely never visited. But I must say as far as ignorance goes: your article is a 10! First off, if you think that hockey is "fifth-fiddle" in Raleigh than you are simply mistaken. The only thing more popular in Raleigh than hockey is college basketball. Both NASCAR and NFL football are popular in Charlotte, not Raleigh. I personally have lived in Raleigh for 20 years and do not know a single NASCAR fan. Not one. But go to Charlotte, which is about 3 hours away, and you'll start seeing the Dale jr stickers everywhere. NASCAR is part of their culture as its origins are in the nearby Concord NC. In Raleigh, instead of NASCAR stickers you'll see Hurricanes stickers everywhere. The sport is still growing here and its a small market yet we have about average attendance. We have some of the loudest fans and in the 2006 Cup Finals against your beloved Oilers (wonder who won that series) the RBC Center set a new record for noise level in an arena with a 125 db reading. Hardly sounds like a fanbase that doesn't care about their team. I'm not saying that hockey is as popular in Carolina as in Edmonton. But I will say that it is second only to NCAA basketball. Maybe if Edmonton actually had notable colleges in the area, a professional basketball team, or football team as competition then you might see hockey a little differently. So hockey is number one in Edmonton, but really what else is there? So what I'm trying to say is that you should probably go back to school for journalism so you can learn that articles require things called "facts" which ultimately can prevent other people or journalists from calling BS on you. I recommend North Carolina State, Duke, or UNC Chapel Hill. They'll teach you about ethics and about how a real journalist writes articles using facts and strays away from making assertions about places that he/she is entirely ignorant of. If you'd like to discuss this further then send a reply. My guess is you won't.

-A devoted Caniac

In places like L.A., Phoenix, Florida, Carolina or any of the other southern centres the league shouldn't have expanded to, NHLers might as well be playing arena soccer.

I gave this man a subtle little jab back. I informed him of the fact that 2 of the last 4 winners of Lord Stanley's Chalice were from the Southeast AND that the Hurricanes that didn't deserve an expansion team... beat his Beloved Oil for said Cup. Hahaha. Love it.

Kara

Just to clarify, Robert Tychkowski (the writer of that article) misspoke in the quote above. Carolina can't be considered an expansion team, since the Whalers joined the league nearly 30 years ago.

I don't know why any of you would email/comment that guy and his article... he wrote it for Edmonton fans, not us. The only interest any of us really have in that article is that it talks about Cole; you wouldn't be reading anything else of his because <drumroll> you don't care what he writes the other 364 days of the year. Take it for what it's worth and leave it. He has a fanbase to please and they don't wear red.

No offense to anyone, but seriously? Get over it :) Next time Luke or someone else takes a jab at another fanbase, will you be so quick to defend that other fanbase?

My email to this fool:

Regarding your "article" entitled "Real Warmth for Cole"

I feel a sense of obligation to correct your incredibly stupid view of hockey in Raleigh. I've read articles such as yours where a "journalist" such as yourself rips other cities that he/she has likely never visited. But I must say as far as ignorance goes: your article is a 10! First off, if you think that hockey is "fifth-fiddle" in Raleigh than you are simply mistaken. The only thing more popular in Raleigh than hockey is college basketball. Both NASCAR and NFL football are popular in Charlotte, not Raleigh. I personally have lived in Raleigh for 20 years and do not know a single NASCAR fan. Not one. But go to Charlotte, which is about 3 hours away, and you'll start seeing the Dale jr stickers everywhere. NASCAR is part of their culture as its origins are in the nearby Concord NC. In Raleigh, instead of NASCAR stickers you'll see Hurricanes stickers everywhere. The sport is still growing here and its a small market yet we have about average attendance. We have some of the loudest fans and in the 2006 Cup Finals against your beloved Oilers (wonder who won that series) the RBC Center set a new record for noise level in an arena with a 125 db reading. Hardly sounds like a fanbase that doesn't care about their team. I'm not saying that hockey is as popular in Carolina as in Edmonton. But I will say that it is second only to NCAA basketball. Maybe if Edmonton actually had notable colleges in the area, a professional basketball team, or football team as competition then you might see hockey a little differently. So hockey is number one in Edmonton, but really what else is there? So what I'm trying to say is that you should probably go back to school for journalism so you can learn that articles require things called "facts" which ultimately can prevent other people or journalists from calling BS on you. I recommend North Carolina State, Duke, or UNC Chapel Hill. They'll teach you about ethics and about how a real journalist writes articles using facts and strays away from making assertions about places that he/she is entirely ignorant of. If you'd like to discuss this further then send a reply. My guess is you won't.

-A devoted Caniac

I don't know dude, your rebuttal to the article kind of left me scratching my head. I don't know why you would fight ignorance with ignorance. Makes no sense.

Edmonton is home to the University of Alberta - a very reputable University - which is in turn home to the Golden Bears and the Pandas which participate in hockey, football, and basketball. Both of these teams draw fairly large numbers in terms of attendance. Edmonton is also home to the Edmonton Eskimos (CFL team) and Edmontonians are rabid football fans (both CFL and NFL). Edmonton is also home to the Oil Kings (WHL) and the Rush (NLL). There are plenty of sporting organizations in Edmonton that all draw considerable crowds when playing at home. You just critisized someone for ripping on a hockey market that he's never been to. Have you ever been to Edmonton? Maybe you have, I don't know. But if you haven't, aren't you essentially guilty of the same infraction? You did afterall just rip on Edmonton.

I don't know dude, your rebuttal to the article kind of left me scratching my head. I don't know why you would fight ignorance with ignorance. Makes no sense.

Edmonton is home to the University of Alberta - a very reputable University - which is in turn home to the Golden Bears and the Pandas which participate in hockey, football, and basketball. Both of these teams draw fairly large numbers in terms of attendance. Edmonton is also home to the Edmonton Eskimos (CFL team) and Edmontonians are rabid football fans (both CFL and NFL). Edmonton is also home to the Oil Kings (WHL) and the Rush (NLL). There are plenty of sporting organizations in Edmonton that all draw considerable crowds when playing at home. You just critisized someone for ripping on a hockey market that he's never been to. Have you ever been to Edmonton? Maybe you have, I don't know. But if you haven't, aren't you essentially guilty of the same infraction? You did afterall just rip on Edmonton.

I researched a bit about Edmonton before writing the email having admittedly never been there. The only real competition I saw was from the University of Alberta. But can there really be a comparison made between 1 major university, a canadian football league team, and a few minor league teams with what there is in Raleigh. In Raleigh there are 4 major universities nearby, with an NFL football team and an NBA basketball team only a few hours away in Charlotte not to mention Lowe's motor speedway. In Durham, there is one of the most popular AAA baseball teams on the east coast in the Bulls. Pretty much the only thing we don't have in NC is a pro baseball team. My point was that there really isn't much competition with hockey in Edmonton. Or at least not compared with Raleigh.

I researched a bit about Edmonton before writing the email having admittedly never been there. The only real competition I saw was from the University of Alberta. But can there really be a comparison made between 1 major university, a canadian football league team, and a few minor league teams with what there is in Raleigh. In Raleigh there are 4 major universities nearby, with an NFL football team and an NBA basketball team only a few hours away in Charlotte not to mention Lowe's motor speedway. In Durham, there is one of the most popular AAA baseball teams on the east coast in the Bulls. Pretty much the only thing we don't have in NC is a pro baseball team. My point was that there really isn't much competition with hockey in Edmonton. Or at least not compared with Raleigh.

You may be right in that regard, however the teams I mentioned in Edmonton draw large crowds. Also, the Rush are hardly a minor league team. The National Lacrosse League is very popular in Canada and as a result, the Rush are very popular in Edmonton. Perhaps 'competition' is the wrong word to describe these teams towards the Oilers, as the Oilers will always be #1 in the hearts and minds of Edmontonians but they do exist, draw large crowds and therefore the Oilers don't hold a monopoly on the sporting stage in Edmonton. Being a native Edmontonian, sometimes I get a little sensitive when I hear people calling Edmonton a one horse and one dimentional city, just as you may get a little sensitive when you hear people question the viability of Carolina as a hockey market.

The loser writer is just slamming us because we have alot going on down here. We sure kicked their Canadian Bacon in the stanley cup finals in '06! I wish Cole the best. I wouldn't want all their cold weather. Just because we haven't always had hockey doesn't mean we don't embrace it. Of course it is a bigger deal up there-they don't have anything else going in the frozen tundra. Pronger sure didn't stay there long.

In places like L.A., Phoenix, Florida, Carolina or any of the other southern centres the league shouldn't have expanded to

That right there discredits anything this writer wrote.

That right there discredits anything this writer wrote.

Last I checked, the Canes arent an expansion team, they are a relocated team. ;)

Sorry if someone else in this thread already mentioned the obvious.

I find it funny so many people are getting worked up over this. He wrote the article to get paid. The more hits on the article, the more he gets paid. You're better off ignoring it all together.

only one of thos teams are an expansion team, and thats Florida. LA was around in the 60's, Pheonix used to be Winnepeg, and Carolina was Hartford. But do you know who is an expansion team? Ottowa.

Last I checked, the Canes arent an expansion team, they are a relocated team. ;)

Sorry if someone else in this thread already mentioned the obvious.

That was a quote from the Article. The Journalist wrote that. Hence the quotes. :)

The seal hunts are in the Canadian maritimes, and it's done to keep the fishing industry afloat. If you're going to throw out stereotypes, at least get the geography correct. Edmonton, Alberta doesn't have a single major body of water adjacent to it. The stereotype of Albertans is much the same as Texans.....they like their guns, hate taxes, and all want to grow up to be cowboys.

"My kids are really excited that they're going to see a winter. I called my daughter yesterday and told her we were here and the first thing she asked was how much snow is there. I told her it won't snow till late October or November, then you'll be able to go outside and play in it."

An Edmonton winter :blink:

That novelty wears off REAL fast.

As for the article itself.....the reporter is being a dink, but the crux of his argument isn't completely off base. It's not uncommon to wake up in July and find the front page of the newspaper to be hockey related. The amount of media coverage on Sundin right now is giving me a migraine.

The easiest way to shut guys like this up, would be to get as many people as you can to show up to Hurricane games, no one can point fingers at an healthy market.

Ok, replace "seal clubbing" with "getting running water". If you want to be technical !!! :P