The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Playmaker-ch1

Bolts Pick up Andrej Meszaros Fom the Sens

Beat me to it... by a lot haha I was about to post bc I just found out but glad I didnt since I saw this lol.

IMO the lightning gave up too much for Meszaros, though he is a very good player. I still don't see them as a threat in the division though.

And so the Tampa Bay band-aid grows...

Honestly, what's different between what Tampa Bay has done this offseason and what Carolina did between the '03-'04 season and the '05-'06 season? While I hope Tampa Bay is as terrible as they look, I also wouldn't completely discount that their team could gel just like the Hurricanes did in '05-'06.

I agree, they will be much better, their potent offense will be even better, their goalie situation is about the same, and I would say their defense is better than it was last year. I wouldn't go as far as saying they are a team in contention for the cup, but I'd imagine they'd be in the hunt for the playoffs.

This still doesn't really give Tampa what they need: a reliable, veteran defensive d-man. Kuba put up 5 less points than Meszaros in 7 less games. Granted, Meszaros has more potential than Kuba does, but the Bolts also gave up a solid prospect in Picard. Plus, Meszaros is not defensively sound at all.

I think Ottawa likely wins this trade. Tampa should be interesting next year. Have no idea whether to fear them or laugh at them.

Honestly, what's different between what Tampa Bay has done this offseason and what Carolina did between the '03-'04 season and the '05-'06 season? While I hope Tampa Bay is as terrible as they look, I also wouldn't completely discount that their team could gel just like the Hurricanes did in '05-'06.

Rethink what you said. Carolina went out and made small adjustments to the team; Tampa Bay has gone out and completely altered the roster and staff. They have spent big, and have left nothing behind. To me, this is a band-aid approach. Forget rebuilding and rookie progress, let's just go nuts in FA and trading to get what looks like a playoff team on paper. Doesn't matter if we actually make the playoffs, just that the team looks pretty. Oh, and let's go get a prettier coach too. We may still suck, but at least we'll look good doing it.

Don't worry Tampa Bay, you'll look good AND be funny at the same time.

IMO that's a great thing for tampa, finally having a talented D on their roster again. If that'll be enough is written in the stars, but it's a step in the right direction. I dunno, I just don't get on that train considering Tampa wasn't a thread in the SE, their offensive Roster looks fantastic. If Kolzig makes a good run (and I'm sure he's still able to), they can sureley make the playoffs.

Terrible, terrible move. Dan Boyle does everything Meszaros does...only better. They traded away Boyle, THEN had to give up solid prospects, a decent defenseman and a draft pick for a lesser version of Dan Boyle, and THEN signed him to a $4 million per year contract, eating cap room. This doesn't make ANY sense no matter how you look at it.

Rethink what you said. Carolina went out and made small adjustments to the team; Tampa Bay has gone out and completely altered the roster and staff. They have spent big, and have left nothing behind. To me, this is a band-aid approach. Forget rebuilding and rookie progress, let's just go nuts in FA and trading to get what looks like a playoff team on paper. Doesn't matter if we actually make the playoffs, just that the team looks pretty. Oh, and let's go get a prettier coach too. We may still suck, but at least we'll look good doing it.

Don't worry Tampa Bay, you'll look good AND be funny at the same time.

What they did is create roster competition, which is what a team that finished last year as poorly as they did should do. The team needed toughness, so they added players like Malone, Recchi, and Roberts. They needed improvement on defense, so they went and added guys like Carle and Meszaros. They needed a veteran presence in net, so they went and added Kolzig. The addition of Steven Stamkos in the draft certainly didn't hurt either. I would consider all of these common sense moves that the team needed to make. While it may not pay immediate dividends, I think it will make them a contender in the future. In my opinion, with Carle, Meszaros, O'Brien, and Ranger on board, Tampa Bay will have the best defense in the Southeast Division in the next few years.