The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
monkeygruven

Current Outstanding Free Agents

The two most impressive on the list statwise are Shanahan and Sundin, who are both contract holdouts, or at least Sundin is. So they dont really count.

Peter Forsberg stands out with 13 assists in only 9 games played. I dont know why he played so few games was it injuries? Pretty good numbers for Smolinski.

As far as the coachs, for the SE I dont think any of the three make any difference at all, and here's why, I think Atlanta and Florida lack the personel and talent to be successful and so the new coach really doesnt have much to work with, and on the other hand I think TB has enough talent to be dangerous regardless of who the coach behind the bench is. I still believe Washington and Carolina duke it out for the top of the division this year, TB will be a team to reckon with in years to come.

Wow, where did that list come from? Just giving it a quick glance.....Tanabe is signed with us for another season. Jeff Hamilton signed with an AHL team (Chicago Wolves?) over a week ago. And Kevyn Adams is a UFA and isn't even on the list. I'd think he'd be worth at least a mention if Hamilton is.

Brisebois is signed too, but that just happened yesterday......

It's an NHL.com article from a few days ago. And yes, Forsberg is highly injury-prone, although he is an incredible player.

As for Sundin, Montreal has made a move that solidifies their stance on no longer being interested in Sundin. They traded a second round draft pick in 2010 (acquired from Toronto along with Greg Pateryn, in return for Mikhail Grabovski on July 3, 2008) to the Chicago Blackhawks for Robert Lang. Although not as statistically prolific as Sundin, he was 21-33-54 in 76 games last season. And on top of that, this was his eighth consecutive season scoring 50 or more points. So, with any luck, this will start the last round of trade madness before the 08-09 season begins, hopefully leading to the signings of one Mats Sundin and one Brendan Shanahan.

Also worth mentioning, this is not by any means a full list of unsigned UFA's, just the ones NHL.com felt like showcasing at the end of an article that really had nothing to do with UFA's. :)