The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Blackhawks waive Khabibulin

Only places I can see even considering it would be LA and Ottawa. LA could afford it and has had goaltending issues for awhile now. I dont know what Ottawa'a cap looks like but they havent exactly embraced Gerber and Auld is only a capable back up.

Why didn't they trade him? They could have at least gotten something for him, maybe even just a pick that turned out to be someone good.

you have to look at the size of his contract, if he was making in the neighborhood of $1mil then your thought is correct but at $5mil+ that is a bit pricey and GM's aren't likely to take that risk. He will likely be claimed on re-entry when the Hawks are on the hook for half of his salary. He isn't worth looking at when it is $5mil+ but would be a great find at $2.7+ (like we did with Samsonov, it only cost us $600k to pick him up off re-entry - was well worth the risk).

speaking of the blackhawks.. i was looking at their rosters and saw that kevyn adams was playing.. i didnt think he had a contract..?

also i saw Jesse Boulerice.. i guess he's on a tryout?

I just heard their names on my way home too. I didnt think Adams had a contract either but I had read somewhere they were considering him for coaching if he couldnt play. Huet is getting lit up but its not like has the A team in front of him.

I just heard this on Sportscenter and my jaw dropped.. I dont know who else they have to put in goal or what kind of goalie issues they are having but this is a big surprise, at least to me.. he's not the guy you expect to just be dropped by his team.

They have a couple of good young goalies in Niemi and Crawford that can easily be their back up and win some games at the NHL level...and they don't cost you 7+ mil a season either.