The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Your Top 15 current NHL forwards

and I thought "Nash" just posted funny things on these boards. Looks like he got his birthday wish afterall :P

In wake of Eric Staal's big contract, a lot of discussion around the league by fans has been whether or not Eric Staal is an $8+ million player. So I got this idea from another board:

Rank your 15 top elite forwards in the league. Points totals and salary obviously play into the ranking but other intangibles also give them elite status but intangibles such as marketability, leadership and consistency are all part of it too. I chose 15 because the top 2 or 3 will be too easy and I want you all to have to think ;) .

http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/app?formids=PropertySelection%2CPropertySelection_0%2CPropertySelection_1%2CPropertySelection_2%2CPropertySelection_3%2CPropertySelection_4%2CPropertySelection_5%2CSubmit&component=reportBuilder.%24SimpleForm&page=Home&service=direct&submitmode=&submitname=&PropertySelection=0&PropertySelection_0=0&PropertySelection_1=0&PropertySelection_2=1&PropertySelection_3=0&PropertySelection_4=0&PropertySelection_5=0&Submit=Get+Stats' target="_blank">List of current NHL forwards[/post]

My picks (but still deciding):

1) Ovechkin

2) Crosby

3) Zetterberg

4) Datsyk

5) Iginla

6) Alfreddson

7) Heatley

8) Lecavalier

9) Gaborik

10) E. Staal

11) Hossa

12) Malkin

13) Thornton

14) Nash

15) Kovulchuk

There are plenty of others up there but these are the first to jump out at me when I think top 15 elite forwards in the league.

tough task...Staal would not be top 15 in my opinion, but he is young, and I think he'll be there in a few years. Also the canes have so many offensive weapons, sometimes the best ones don't get as much credit too.

1) Zetterberg

2) Ovechkin

3) Datsyuk

4) Crosby

5) Thornton

6) Malkin

7) Iginla

8) Lecavalier

9) Alfie

10) Kovalchuk

11) Heatley

12) Hossa

13) briere

14) St. Louis

15) Gaborik

I probably lelf out some really good players, but that is my top 15, NHL forwards are so up and down, I bet next years list will be way different than the one I just made. When ranking forwards you also gotta put in defensive ability, hence why zetterberg is number one, and Datsyuk is ahead of crosby and why Spezza is off the list and a big reason Martin st. Louis is on the list.

tough task...Staal would not be top 15 in my opinion, but he is young, and I think he'll be there in a few years. Also the canes have so many offensive weapons, sometimes the best ones don't get as much credit too.

1) Zetterberg

2) Ovechkin

3) Datsyuk

4) Crosby

5) Thornton

6) Malkin

7) Iginla

8) Lecavalier

9) Alfie

10) Kovalchuk

11) Heatley

12) Hossa

13) briere

14) St. Louis

15) Gaborik

I probably lelf out some really good players, but that is my top 15, NHL forwards are so up and down, I bet next years list will be way different than the one I just made. When ranking forwards you also gotta put in defensive ability, hence why zetterberg is number one, and Datsyuk is ahead of crosby and why Spezza is off the list and a big reason Martin st. Louis is on the list.

Briere was a minus 22 last season; so was he just a personal choice?

OV

Sid

Zetterberg

Vinnie

Datsyuk

Malkin

St Louis

Alfie

Heatley

Hossa

Iginla

BrindAmore

Thornton

Holmstrom

Kovalchuk

Had a hard time not putting Kane/Toewes/Sharp on there. Maybe next year.

How exactly are we ranking this? Are we saying "Which 15 forwards would you take if you wanted to win the Cup next year?" or "Which 15 forwards would you take if you want to build a franchise?".

Because obviously with the 2nd one, guys like Brindamour/Sakic/Sundin fall off the charts.

How exactly are we ranking this? Are we saying "Which 15 forwards would you take if you wanted to win the Cup next year?" or "Which 15 forwards would you take if you want to build a franchise?".

Because obviously with the 2nd one, guys like Brindamour/Sakic/Sundin fall off the charts.

And I quote:

Rank your 15 top elite forwards in the league. Points totals and salary obviously play into the ranking but other intangibles also give them elite status. Intangibles such as marketability, leadership and consistency are all part of it too.

Yeah, I saw that, but that still doesn't answer the question. Like I said, those are two completely different situations. If I'm building a franchise, I'd rather take guys like Toews and Kane than Brindamour and Foresberg. Not because they're worse players, but because, in all likelyhood, both Brindamour and Foresberg are going to retire soon and it's better to have the youth movement in that situation.

Without knowing the situation we're striving for, then it's impossible to rank. I mean, obviously guys like Crosby and Ovechkin are going to be there no matter what, but when you get into the 10-15 slots, it all depends on the situation. For instance, Nash has never reached 70 points in his career. Yet, TSA put him at the 14th spot, above Brindamour, Sakic, Getzlaf (surprised he's only made 1 list), Roy, etc.

You're making this a lot more complicated than it has to be.

This isnt about building or drafting anything. Just put in order who you think are the most elite forwards in the league. Doesnt matter who they play for. Read the directions again, its not just points that make them the top of the elite list.

Brind'Amour is definately up there for me, but not in my top 15. I think Eric Staal has more elite value than him currently, but this is just my opinion.

Getzlaf is interesting though......

Alrighty then, I'll give it a shot.

1. Ovechkin - Slight edge over Crosby at the moment, just because of the physical play. Scoring 65 goals didn't hurt either.

2. Crosby - Well duh.

3. Iginla - Great leadership, he puts up the points, he drops the gloves. Does just about everything for that team.

4. Zetterberg - Could easily be #3, but I feel that he's had more help than Iginla has.

5. Thornton - What this guy can do with the puck is amazing. Best set-up guy I've seen in....forever.

6. Malkin - An enigma to me. Takes over when Crosby goes down, but when he returns, he disappears. Still, can't argue with what he's done.

7. Datsyuk - Again, playing on the Wings definitely help him, but definitely top 10

8. Lecavalier - Probably my hate putting him this low, but I've never been a fan of his.

9. Kovalchuk - His wrist shot is amazing. IMO, only OV's is better.

10. Sakic - Loyalty to a team means a lot, especially when you've been on the team for 20 seasons (ridiculous). Add the leadership and the point total and it's no contest.

11. Alfie - His leadership puts him above Heatley. Tough decision though. Can't believe he was a 6th round draft choice.

12. Heatley - Back to back 50 goal seasons is hard to ignore

13. Staal - It was bias that put him ahead of Getzlaf.

14. Getzlaf - See above

15. Spezza - IMO, he's leeching a lot of points off his wingers, but what can you do.

It's really scary how similar Staal and Getzlaf are. Both won Cups at a young age. Staal lead the league in playoff points. Getzlaf lead his team in playoff points. They put up about the same amount of points, with Staal being more a goal-scorer and Getzlaf a setup man. Staal's better defensively, but Getzlaf has a nasty mean streak in him that Staal will never produce. Like I said, surprised Getzlaf isn't on more lists.

Briere was a minus 22 last season; so was he just a personal choice?

Well they are all personal choices, but i think Briere's lack of defensive ability is wiped out by his offensive instincts in this case. he'd be top 10 easy if he played an ounce of defense. Danny can stickhandle, score, set people up, and I just look at how great Philly is offensively since he got there (even when Gagne went down) and how poorly the teams have gotten that left him behind.

1. Crosby

2. Ovechkin

3. Zetterburg

4. Lecavalier

5. Iginla

6. Malkin

7. Thornton

8. Gaborik

9. Datsyuk

10. Kovalchuk

11. Kopitar

12. Staal

13. Heatley

14. St. Louis

15. Toews

Toews may seem like a bit of a stretch - but he's got a ton of potential. It'd be nice to see Chicago make some noise this year in the West.

I noticed that everybody has put Datsyuk on there list.. :D

just an observation...

Probably because he's a top 15 forward in the league. If he wasn't on anyone's list, it'd be the same as removing Ovechkin or Crosby.