The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Lucky-Lucy

Aucoin not fit for this league

Great article. Thanks for sharing it. It's pretty much right on the mark.

You have to admire his attitude, determination, and patience. At the same time, you have to really feel for him.

On the other hand, it's kind of a good problem for us to have. He's looked great when he has been here with us this year, but in the long run, who sits in order for him to play?

Well, given the extended stint Aucoin's had so far, I haven't seen anything that would warrent him a permanent spot on any NHL team. He's a great player, I'm sure, but he's having trouble taking that play to an NHL level.

awesome article and i agree with it 100% however i dont feel that he is better than any of our current starters. i would think that he should be the first player called up if one of our top 12 got injured (though i would rather no one get injured) and i hope that he will get the choice next time

Very good article

I think he's a great player, attitude-wise and with discipline. I think he'd fit good as a permanent player but then the issue is..who goes for him or who's injured.

I'd like to see him as a permanent Cane sometime though

Another minor leaguer you're overrating. That article is probably the most slanted piece I've ever read. Aucoin is one of those guys who is great at the ahl level but for whatever reason cannot translate that success to the big leagues. He has not shown anything in his times with the canes to warrant being a regular. Even on a team lacking our forward depth he would not be a regular. The simple matter is this, he is not effective on the fourth line because he does not play that style of game and at the same time he's not good enough to hold down a top 9 spot.

Very good article

I think he's a great player, attitude-wise and with discipline. I think he'd fit good as a permanent player but then the issue is..who goes for him or who's injured.

I'd like to see him as a permanent Cane sometime though

I truthfully think he played great while on the Ice.. Personally I wouldnt mind us sending Craig Adams down and bring Aucoin back up... Aucoin can play good defense- and his speed and effect fits and could help the team in the long run- Besides he hasnt really had the time to fit in with the team yet- I say if we give him a good 20 games he can produce regularly. Otherwise I could see him going to another team and starting on the 3rd or 4th line-

Or we could just replace Tanabe with him- Gezzz does he suck... Im sure even with the difference of him being a RW it would still be better. lol.. :blink:

I truthfully think he played great while on the Ice.. Personally I wouldnt mind us sending Craig Adams down and bring Aucoin back up... Aucoin can play good defense- and his speed and effect fits and could help the team in the long run- Besides he hasnt really had the time to fit in with the team yet- I say if we give him a good 20 games he can produce regularly. Otherwise I could see him going to another team and starting on the 3rd or 4th line-

Or we could just replace Tanabe with him- Gezzz does he suck... Im sure even with the difference of him being a RW it would still be better. lol.. :blink:

You can't just "send down" Craig Adams with out putting him through waivers first. Secondly, Aucoin is not much of a defensive player and he certainly isn't compared to Adams who is a pretty solid pk'er and adds toughness to our team. Give Aucoin 20 games? How can you justify taking 20 games from a deserving player and dressing a career ahl'er over him. He'll produce regularly? This guy can't produce playing with Staal and Cole in the past, people need to accept the fact that he is what he is, a fringe nhl'er who's a star at the minor league level but can't translate his game to the big leagues. It simply boggles my mind reading some of the things people are saying about him, it's just crazy. And I know someone's going to say I'm mean or not a true canes fan because I've said something negative but it's called being a realist.

Aucoin is a great hockey player at the AHL level for sure, and he is a good fill in when we got injured forwards. Would I replace him with any of our starters? Noway jose. He has had some great plays, but it hasn't translated to anything of real significance. I have seen his improvement on the defensive side compared to last year, but Bayda is much better in all areas IMO. I don't know what it is that prevents him from translating his talent from AHL to NHL level, and apparently neither has he. Kinda feel bad for him because he could prob fill a 3rd/4th line with another squad, maybe could him for trade on a team that needs some more depth for a draft spot or just to free up some salary cap, not sure what type of contract he is under.

Aucoin is ufa after this year and he makes $475,000. No team will give up a good pick for him, he's not a third liner anywhere in the nhl. Fourth line spots will be used for grinders and young prospects of there's. He's really not nhl material.

he is good enough to come up and fill in when needed, and ive always liked him. fast and a good passer. but im going to say he will prob be a career AHLer. but if he can break out on another team, i wish him luck. lets just hope it's not against us!.

He's a valuable player to keep around at the minor league level, as he can serve as a sort of mentor to our prospects and he is the type of veteran presence that a young team can rally around in tough situations. The fact that he can light the lamp at that level only helps.

yeah doesnt he have some kind of record down there? im thinking he maybe understands he will not be a career NHLer, and since he is doing so well in our system in Albany, maybe he is happy there, with the ability to get called up once in a while.

John Madden had the previous record of 98 points (38 goals, 60 assists). Oddly enough, Aucoin sat out the last year of the season I'm pretty sure, and missed a chance at hitting 100 points.

yeah doesnt he have some kind of record down there? im thinking he maybe understands he will not be a career NHLer, and since he is doing so well in our system in Albany, maybe he is happy there, with the ability to get called up once in a while.

I don't think he's very happy there, various articles have expressed his displeasure at not being able to stick on the canes, same goes for Bayda. I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to find himself a new club after his contract is up this year, one with less forward depth.

I don't think he's very happy there, various articles have expressed his displeasure at not being able to stick on the canes, same goes for Bayda. I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to find himself a new club after his contract is up this year, one with less forward depth.

He's definitely not happy bouncing back and forth, and he does believe that he has what it takes to be in the NHL for a few years, at least. The problem is partially attributed to the Canes' depth, but also partly because of the systems that Laviolette runs. It's always been a team geared toward bigger forwards. Ray Whitney is the only smaller guy that's really excelled in their system (and he's at least 2" taller than 'coiner, despite what the roster stats say), but Aucoin's not really the same type of player as Ray. If you look around the NHL, most teams are starting to develop smaller players, and *I* think he has a place somewhere in the NHL...just not with the Canes. Hopefully we'll see after this year, or maybe following a mid-season trade.

In the meantime, hopefully he won't get down on himself -- hopefully he'll keep working hard on the areas of his game that he knows need work.

Cetihcra,

despite the fact that I like having him as a call-up I do kind of hope he finds a new team this summer. Somewhere he can get a better oppurtunity to play. We just have way too much depth for him to get much of a chance, like you said. One thing I disagree with is that this team is geared more towards big forwards. Our team is fairly average in size, we have a few big guys but I wouldn't say our style is geared specifically towards them. As for a trade, I doubt it happens unless he's thrown into a bigger deal. He just doesn't carry much value on his own. Let him walk this summer and sign a guy like Mark Cullen, I've wanted him for a few years now.