The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
just-joe

Junior Hockey prospect update.

Hopefully, I will be able to keep this topic constantly updated with the statistics of all of our junior hockey prospects.

In the Ontario Hockey League:

-Brett Bellemore has been injured all season and hasn't played a game with the Plymouth Whalers.

-In 12 games with the Plymouth Whalers; Chris Terry has recorded eight goals, 12 assists, 22 penalty-minutes, and is a +3.

-In 14 games with the Sarnia Sting; Harrison Reed has recorded five goals, six assists, four penalty-minutes, and is a +2.

In the Western Hockey League:

-In 12 games with the Red Deer Rebels; Brandon Sutter has recorded four goals, three assists, ten penalty-minutes, and is a +3.

-In 13 games with the Saskatoon Blades; Justin McCrae has recorded five goals, six assists, 12 penalty-minutes, and is a -4.

-In 13 games with the Spokane Chiefs; Drayson Bowman has recorded nine goals, eight assists, 17 penalty-minutes, and is a +6.

In the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League:

-In 10 games with the Lewiston MAINEiacs; Stefan Chaput has recorded six goals, five assists, eight penalty-minutes, and is a +1.

Early on, I would say the most impressive of the group has to be Drayson Bowman.

Bowman's been doing everything for Spokane, scoring clutch goals, making good defensive plays and even fighting. Sutter is doing good but I'd like to see him at a ppg pace. To elaborate on Bellemore, he had offseason shoulder surgery for anyone who didn't know. Had to sit out the prospects camp as well. Was looking forward to seeing what he could do this year. A pure defensive defenseman, he led the chl in +/- last year with a +48 I think it was.

Brett Bellemore played his first game of the season for the Plymouth Whalers tonight; he scored a goal and finished the night +1. Chris Terry also scored a goal and assisted on Bellemore's goal in Plymouth's 3-2 loss to the London Knights.

Harrison Reed had an assist in the Sarnia Sting's 7-5 victory over the Saginaw Spirit.

Bellemore is back with a vengeance. Hasn't missed a step after all that time off from surgery. Plymouth wins 4-1 tonight and he finishes with an assist and a +2. That's 1 goal, 1 assist and +3 in two games now. Chris Terry also had an assist so he now has 9 goals and 14 assists for 23 points through 14 games. He's also a +5. Serving as an assistant captain again this year.

Sounds like both Bellemore and Terry will be solid additions to the Hurricanes' roster in the future.

-Brandon Sutter recorded an assist in Red Deer's 4-3 loss to Lethbridge. He finished the night with a -1.

-Since his return from injury Brett Bellemore has two goals and three assists in six games with the Plymouth Whalers, he is also a +11.

-In 18 games-played, Chris Terry has ten goals and 22 assists with the Plymouth Whalers. He is also a +11 and he and Bellemore seem to factor into each other's goals more times than not.

-In 19 games-played, Harrison Reed has five goals and nine assists for the Sarnia Sting. Pretty disappointed by his play thus far, don't know if there is some type of injury or what has happened as this is a pretty steep drop from where he had progressed last season.

-In 21 games-played, Brandon Sutter has eight goals and seven assists for the Red Deer Rebels. He is also a +2. After a pretty slow start, Sutter just had what could be considered a breakout performance (he scored both of Red Deer's goals and was the only Rebel to score in the shootout in a 3-2 loss to Chilliwack), so perhaps that will spark his play and he'll pick it up in the next couple of weeks.

-In 19 games-played, Justin McCrae has seven goals and nine assists Saskatoon Blades. He is also a -7.

-In 19 games-played, Drayson Bowman as 11 goals and 14 assists for the Spokane Chiefs. He is also a +10 and easily the most impressive of our WHL crop of prospects.

-In 17 games-played, Stefan Chaput has nine goals and 12 assists with the Lewiston MAINEiacs. He is also a +6.

Overall, I would say I am impressed by the performance of all of our junior prosects. Bowman and our two Whalers, in particular, seem to be guys to get excited about in the future.

wow sounds like we got some studs in our system. it's always exciting to hear about the future of our team. Maybe there is the next Staal, Ronnie, etc in there.

Well, there's no one quite that highly touted in our system, it's actually pretty weak compared to other teams. Though, in the past few years it's vastly improved and we have several good looking forward and defensive prospects.

I like Sutter and it sounds like Bellemore's gonna be pretty good esp. to play like that after surgery. :)

Most people don't expect much of Bellemore even after leading the entire chl in +/- last year. They mostly attributed it to his having played for a very good team. I, however, have always been excited about him right from the moment we drafted him. He has all the physical tools to be a pretty solid shutdown guy and he could turn into a real good late round steal.

Someone on another message board set me straight on Sutter's lack of statistics, I'll copy what he said to put his statistics in perspective:

The Rebels are the youngest and (more important) the most inexperienced team in the WHL. They have up to 12(!) rookies in their line-up each night. For a while Sutter played on a line with two 16-year-olds (first rounders Landon Ferraro and Cass Mappin). The Rebels are in big time rebuilding modus this season. They have lost 12 of their last 13 games, almost all of them by one goal (some in OT or SO). So, while I think that Brandon could score a little more (he has 3 goals and 1 assist in the last two games - that's all the Rebels scored ), stats don't tell you the whole picture.

Credit to Alter Haudegen over at HFBoards.

Bellemore and Terry lit it up again last night in a 4-2 win over the Guelph Storm. Bellemore, the guy who had never scored a goal in two previous ohl seasons, opened the scoring just 4 minutes in with his 3rd of the year assisted by Chris Terry. With 50 seconds left in the first Terry scored his 11th of the year assisted by Bellemore. 21 seconds into the 2nd Terry added another assist on a powerplay goal. Both finished the game +2. So Bellemore, who had 12 points last year (0g,12a) is now on a point per game pace with 3 goals and 4 assists through 7 games. He's also a +13 (+48 last year to lead the chl). Terry is putting up well over a point per game with 11 goals and 24 assists through 19 games. He's a +13. He also wears the "A" regularly. I'm pretty excited that he has stepped up his scoring with plymouth losing quite a few top scorers from last season, they're still a very dangerous team. Even more so I'm excited by the numbers Bellemore continues to put up. I really think this guy could be a late round steal. He's an absolute monster, especially if he'd put on some more weight.

Perhaps the best of all is that they seem to have chemistry you don't normally see between a defenseman and a forward. Hopefully, that chemistry will carry over to the AHL and eventually the NHL and we'll see some great plays between two of them for years to come.

In other action:

-Daniel Manzato stopped 23-of-25 shots on goal in Las Vegas' 6-2 win over Phoenix. Manzato hasn't lost since his return to American soil (3-0).

-Harrison Reed recorded an assist in Sarnia's 4-2 loss to Kingston, he was a -2 on the night as well.

-Brandon Sutter was held pointless and finished the night a -1 in Red Deer's 5-1 loss to Vancouver. Just to further the description of the state of the Red Deer Rebels as a team, they were out-shot 42 to NINE in this contest. While Sutter may not be ready for the NHL, I don't know if time with a team in rebuild mode like Red Deer will do much to help his confidence or overall play.

-Drayson Bowman recorded a goal and finished the night at a +2 in Spokane's 3-2 victory over Everett.

Spokane Chiefs defeated the Prince George Cougars 4-1 last night. Pretty quiet night from Drayson Bowman as all he did was record his first career hat-trick and an assist to figure into all four goals scored on the night. I didn't check, but he probably assisted on the Prince George goal as well.

holy crap that is awesome! good for him! what is his status for moving up to, say, Albany?

and as far as Sutter is concerned.....can we not get this guy onto a better development team? I mean sheesh, playing with 16 year olds isn't gonna do him ANY good. whatsoever! We need to get him out there with guys his age or older. Or else he may never be ready for the NHL. At least, not in time for him to become out next franchise player.

Spokane Chiefs defeated the Prince George Cougars 4-1 last night. Pretty quiet night from Drayson Bowman as all he did was record his first career hat-trick and an assist to figure into all four goals scored on the night. I didn't check, but he probably assisted on the Prince George goal as well.

Congrats to him on the hatty and the assist. That's amazing.

holy crap that is awesome! good for him! what is his status for moving up to, say, Albany?

and as far as Sutter is concerned.....can we not get this guy onto a better development team? I mean sheesh, playing with 16 year olds isn't gonna do him ANY good. whatsoever! We need to get him out there with guys his age or older. Or else he may never be ready for the NHL. At least, not in time for him to become out next franchise player.

I believe there is an age limit in the AHL, which is why someone like Sutter isn't already there. It will likely be a year or two before either is eligible for the AHL. However, in Sutter's case, it is possible he could make the jump straight to the NHL next year if the front office thinks he is ready.

I think the extended stay with the Hurricanes in the preseason shows that the team wants Sutter to be ready sooner rather than later. The main knock against him as a prospect was his conditioning, so if he can improve that I think we'll see him on the fourth-line next year.

hes 18 years old what is the age limit for the AHL 20? he's playing in the WHL right now is there any other better league out there for youngsters like him like the OHL maybe? im pretty sure hes old enough for that league but is it any better than the WHL? im not really sure on the avg skill level in all the leagues

It's a pretty complicated matter, but the short of it is that he would need to be twenty-years-old to play in the AHL. The rule doesn't apply to college or foreign prospects, only those who play in the CHL (OHL, WHL, QMJHL). We also can't dictate where he plays his hockey until he is ready to move to the AHL or NHL level, so he'll stay in Red Deer unless the front office in Red Deer decides to trade him to another WHL team. I would say the overall competition is nearly the same in each league. Personally, I rank the leagues as OHL, WHL, and QMJHL. OHL has alot more skill (John Tavares, Steven Stamkos, etc.), WHL tends to be a little more defensive driven and goaltender heavy, while QMJHL pumps out the solid player every once in a while.

Drayson Bowman and the Spokane Chiefs beat the Regina Pat 4-2 tonight. Bows has 2 goals, was +1, and had 2PIM.

One of his goals looked like he was trying to get it in deep from the right point after a faceoff but it had eyes to the net and went just inside the left post. He played a great game tonight.

Tonight's game saw two of the top teams in the WHL and was a battle from the start.

He's got an 8 game point scoring streak going and is tired for 3rd in scoring in the WHL. Bows has 5 goals in his last two games. He leads the Chiefs in scoring.

Todate stats: 22GP 17G 15A 32PTS +15 27PIM

If there's anything you guys want to know about Bowman let me know and I'll try to help. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the update chiefs, what I'd like to know is if you could make a NHL comparison. What player does Bowman remind you of, atleast at this point in his career and what do you think is his career potential at the NHL level.

In other prospect news:

-Chris Terry recorded a hat trick and an assist and the Plymouth Whalers are currently in overtime with the London Knights tied 4-4.

-Brett Bellemore recorded an assist as well on one of Terry's goals.

Thanks for the update chiefs, what I'd like to know is if you could make a NHL comparison. What player does Bowman remind you of, atleast at this point in his career and what do you think is his career potential at the NHL level.

In other prospect news:

-Chris Terry recorded a hat trick and an assist and the Plymouth Whalers are currently in overtime with the London Knights tied 4-4.

-Brett Bellemore recorded an assist as well on one of Terry's goals.

To be absolutely honest I can't make a NHL comparison. I haven't really watched the NHL recently, just catch games here and there on TV.

NHL potential: I think he's got a pretty good shot at being at that level in a year or two after finishing here. Once he get into the swing of things at the next level he will fit right in. He seems to take things in quickly and grows every game.

Sorry I couldn't give you more. :(

Almost forgot. He got a Gordie Howe hat trick tonight as the Chiefs beat the Prince George Cougars 5-1. Goal, assist, and a fight towards the end of the game. He did pretty well in the fight. Granted he's not the best fighter on the team but he can hold his own, as he did tonight. He will stick up for teammates and will drop the gloves if needed.

Pic of Bows' fight from last night.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p260/chiefs20167/Bowmanfight2.jpg' target="_blank">http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p260/ch...owmanfight2.jpg[/post]

Bowman named WHL Player of the Week, thought you guys mights like to know.

CALGARY, AB. - The BOSTON PIZZA WHL Player of the Week is forward Drayson Bowman of the Spokane Chiefs.

Bowman picked up eight points in three games during the week of November 12th through to November 18th. He scored six goals, two assists and was plus four, helping the Chiefs to a 3-0 record in that span.

On Tuesday, November 13th, the Chiefs hosted the Prince George Cougars at the Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena. Bowman picked up the

Two goals and two assists tonight for Bowman in Spokane's 4-0 victory over Chilliwack. This guy is quickly becoming, if he isn't already, our most exciting prospect in the system.

Two goals and two assists tonight for Bowman in Spokane's 4-0 victory over Chilliwack. This guy is quickly becoming, if he isn't already, our most exciting prospect in the system.

Hey Joe just to let you and everyone else know the Chiefs beat Chilliwack 6-0 and Bowman had another hat trick and 2 assists. ;) 5 point night, highest in his career.

Also he was named CHL Player of the Week on Tue after being named WHL Player of the Week on Mon.

He's flying high now and it's great to see. With tonights points he's moved up to 2nd place for WHL Scoring Leaders. Guess it helped that the two guys ahead of him are with Chilliwack and were kept off the score sheet tonight.

That's 10 game point scoring streak with 9 goals in his last 5 games. He's playing with two great guys, Wahl and Bruton. Neither are drafted, Wahl is eligible in 08. Bruton is an unsigned 20 year old. They are really clicking together.