The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
just-joe

Anton Babchuk

Well, the guy's got an attitude problem, but we will need some defensive production sometime in the next couple years, especially if we're going to be losing some of our bigger names.

And you can't argue with 12 points in 25 games from a defensemen, especially if he's got 5 goals already.

Babchuk will never adjust his attitude, which is why he is not here. I don't know if you all notice but JR doesn't mess with that. It's why he is not here, why Belanger is not here, and sorry to say, but why Johnson isn't here. This franchise doesn't have the time to try and help young players work through their attitudes.

Babchuk will never adjust his attitude, which is why he is not here. I don't know if you all notice but JR doesn't mess with that. It's why he is not here, why Belanger is not here, and sorry to say, but why Johnson isn't here. This franchise doesn't have the time to try and help young players work through their attitudes.

If that was the case, why keep him on the roster? Why not try to trade him to some team that is willing to wait or just out-right cut him?

If that was the case, why keep him on the roster? Why not try to trade him to some team that is willing to wait or just out-right cut him?

Ummmmm no one wanted him. We tried to trade him for a 5th round pick or pretty much just anything we could get. Didn't work. He came to the 'Canes because he had the same problem in Chicago and then he came here, threw a tantrum. The NHL teams see that and no one is crazy enough to put up with it now.

We have him under contract for the rest of this year. So he has the option of adjusting himself and working with his employer or stay playing overseas which doesn't cost us anything. If other teams want him they know they can go after him after his contract expires and probably get him for less then he thinks he's worth.

Babchuk will never adjust his attitude

You do not know him or what he has been through so you cannot possibly say he will never change. He came over from the Ukraine not knowing a word of english and struggled while playing for the admirals. Can you imagine being at practice and not knowing what was going on because you can't understand the coach? He had two teammates he could converse with and neither of them could understand much english either so it's not like they could translate for him. All of a sudden the one thing you're really good at isn't so easy anymore. And that's just at the rink, which is a second home to these guys. Outside of the arena what would life be like when you can't understand anyone?

We have him under contract for the rest of this year. So he has the option of adjusting himself and working with his employer or stay playing overseas which doesn't cost us anything. If other teams want him they know they can go after him after his contract expires and probably get him for less then he thinks he's worth.

I think that is how it will play out, I think you offer him one more opportunity if he says he has changed his ways. Next season, there will be little doubt of his role on the team as we will likely have to replace Hedican and Wesley and possibly Kaberle if his injury troubles don't straighten out.

Ummmmm no one wanted him. We tried to trade him for a 5th round pick or pretty much just anything we could get. Didn't work. He came to the 'Canes because he had the same problem in Chicago and then he came here, threw a tantrum. The NHL teams see that and no one is crazy enough to put up with it now.

The same thing didn't happen in Chicago at all. He was stuck behind other prospects and couldn't get much playing time in the nhl. His viewpoint is if he's going to come live in the United States then he should get a shot at playing for the big team, not bussing around in the minor leagues. Otherwise he'd have stayed at home. Not all Europeans view the nhl as the best place to play, just as something different. Unfortunately for him there wasn't room for him in Chicago and the management didn't want the problem of trying to please him so he was traded. It doesn't make him a bad person for simply wanting to play.

He is not under contract, he is a restricted free agent. We retain his rights.

Get your facts straight, the same thing didn't happen in Chicago at all. He was stuck behind other prospects and couldn't get much playing time in the nhl. His viewpoint is if he's going to come live in the United States then he should get a shot at playing for the big team, not bussing around in the minor leagues. Otherwise he'd have stayed at home. Not all Europeans view the nhl as the best place to play, just as something different. Unfortunately for him there wasn't room for him in Chicago and the management didn't want the problem of trying to please him so he was traded. It doesn't make him a bad person for simply wanting to play.

And that is the problem there. He thinks he deserves to play for the big teams and refuses to play for the AHL. You work through the ranks if you really want to play in this league unless you catch a lucky break. Dmen take a lot longer to develop and Babs would have ended up playing in top 6 for someone eventually but now he will play for no one. There are too many good dmen for anyone to deal with that. Look at people like Bayda, I know he probably thinks he deserves to play for this team, but because he wants it bad enough he is willing to go play down until he gets his shot.

I don't even want to hear about the language thing. I know it has to be incredibly hard, but MANY players have to deal with it...it's not like Babchuk was the only player to not speak English when he came here. :rolleyes:

And that is the problem there. He thinks he deserves to play for the big teams and refuses to play for the AHL. You work through the ranks if you really want to play in this league unless you catch a lucky break. Dmen take a lot longer to develop and Babs would have ended up playing in top 6 for someone eventually but now he will play for no one. There are too many good dmen for anyone to deal with that. Look at people like Bayda, I know he probably thinks he deserves to play for this team, but because he wants it bad enough he is willing to go play down until he gets his shot.

I don't even want to hear about the language thing. I know it has to be incredibly hard, but MANY players have to deal with it...it's not like Babchuk was the only player to not speak English when he came here. :rolleyes:

I only brought up the language issue to show that things have been rough for him. Not everyone has the personal skills to deal with something like that. The thing is, he does have the talent to be playing regularly on a teams bottom pairing but for various reasons hasn't gotten a chance to do so consistantly. Can't fault him for having had enough of life in the ahl when he's good enough to be playing in the nhl. Regardless of what anyone's opinion of him is, I hope he hasn't messed things up too much with the organization. Hopefully he'll have matured over the course of his season playing in Russia and can come back for a fresh start. I'm not optimistic this will happen but one can hope.

I only brought up the language issue to show that things have been rough for him. Not everyone has the personal skills to deal with something like that. The thing is, he does have the talent to be playing regularly on a teams bottom pairing but for various reasons hasn't gotten a chance to do so consistantly. Can't fault him for having had enough of life in the ahl when he's good enough to be playing in the nhl. Regardless of what anyone's opinion of him is, I hope he hasn't messed things up too much with the organization. Hopefully he'll have matured over the course of his season playing in Russia and can come back for a fresh start. I'm not optimistic this will happen but one can hope.

If I remember correctly, the whole attitude problem with the AHL only flared up because Babchuck was doing very well for Carolina. For a while, he was our best D-man on the ice. So I agree with you. He can play well on this level, but he's never gotten a real chance at it.

Exactly, I've always sympathized with him because I can understand his frustration. For one reason or another he was always sent back when he could be playing in the nhl. While he was with the canes there was never any trouble. His teammates liked him and he didn't have problems with the management regarding his attitude problem. I think it's more that he's just sick of going back to the minors because he wants to be in the nhl so he went home.

Exactly, I've always sympathized with him because I can understand his frustration. For one reason or another he was always sent back when he could be playing in the nhl. While he was with the canes there was never any trouble. His teammates liked him and he didn't have problems with the management regarding his attitude problem. I think it's more that he's just sick of going back to the minors because he wants to be in the nhl so he went home.

Well that's where professionalism needs to take priority. He can't whine like a baby just because he's not getting his way. There are a lot of players in the NHL that have been sent back to the minors and did't like it but you don't see them getting an attitude. Just take a look at Aucoin for that matter.

I'm sure the language and culture barriers also had something to do with his refusal to head to the minors.

I'd take Babs back in an instant, seeing that we'll probably lose Hedican and Wesley to retirement this year.

I'm sure the language and culture barriers also had something to do with his refusal to head to the minors.

I'd take Babs back in an instant, seeing that we'll probably lose Hedican and Wesley to retirement this year.

I reallly doubt that they just said "You are going to the minors. Pack your bags"

Teams are a bit more professional than that. He probably had it explained to him and it's not like he didn't know what a two-way contract is. No matter how hard anyone tries to make it be, the language barrier is not the reason why Babs went elsewhere.

Well that's where professionalism needs to take priority. He can't whine like a baby just because he's not getting his way. There are a lot of players in the NHL that have been sent back to the minors and did't like it but you don't see them getting an attitude. Just take a look at Aucoin for that matter.

Poor example, Aucoin doesn't belong in the nhl, Babchuk does.

why would we need him to come back? we have carson, borer, and babin in the system with seidenberg, and tanabe waiting to get playing time before them. all of those players have pretty good attitudes and are better IMO

Carson, Borer and Babin better than Babchuk? Ok there. None of them are ready to step in right now, Carson may be able to handle limited minutes next year. Babchuk can play a regular top six role and play on the pp and pk. I'd take him over Tanabe any day.

why would we need him to come back? we have carson, borer, and babin in the system with seidenberg, and tanabe waiting to get playing time before them. all of those players have pretty good attitudes and are better IMO

thank you CM. we have lots of good prospects with GOOD attitudes. and with the way Seids and Tanabe have been playing when they have been in, even those guys will have a while to wait for a chance. next season i see us with prob carson and/or borer up with us. unless we pick up a big D-Man in the offseason or keep one we sign for a playoff run. could go either way. bottom line, let babchuk's contract with us run out and be rid of him. he wouldnt be the first player we have let go cause of attitude problems.

but i will say, he is a good player on the point. rocket of shot, for sure. HOWEVER, with a rocket of a shot in hamilton that is ACCURATE, we dont need another one.

Poor example, Aucoin doesn't belong in the nhl, Babchuk does.

Obviously you love Babchuk, but Babs isn't more deserving than Aucoin of a roster spot.

Obviously you love Babchuk, but Babs isn't more deserving than Aucoin of a roster spot.

at least aucoin is appreciative of his chances to play. babchuk whines when something doesnt go his way. I actually know someone who dated him. she had many choice words about him and his attitude in general, so.....yeah. but they dont even play the same position, so they dont really affect each other as far as being here.