The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
just-joe

Anton Babchuk

thank you CM. we have lots of good prospects with GOOD attitudes. and with the way Seids and Tanabe have been playing when they have been in, even those guys will have a while to wait for a chance. next season i see us with prob carson and/or borer up with us. unless we pick up a big D-Man in the offseason or keep one we sign for a playoff run. could go either way. bottom line, let babchuk's contract with us run out and be rid of him. he wouldnt be the first player we have let go cause of attitude problems.

but i will say, he is a good player on the point. rocket of shot, for sure. HOWEVER, with a rocket of a shot in hamilton that is ACCURATE, we dont need another one.

Tanabe has been awful for us this year, don't know what games you've been watching. Borer up with us next year? He's not even a steady in Albany this year, only guy I see coming up next year is Carson. Don't need another guy with a big shot? Are you kidding me? Since when do you turn down a guy with a 100mph shot because you already have one. Ridiculous logic.

Obviously you love Babchuk, but Babs isn't more deserving than Aucoin of a roster spot.

Making it personal now, eh? Sure, I'm a fan of his and I won't say otherwise. If you think Aucoin is deserving of a roster spot then you're the one who's disillusioned. He is a career ahl'er and nothing more, Babchuk is nhl material.

at least aucoin is appreciative of his chances to play. babchuk whines when something doesnt go his way. I actually know someone who dated him. she had many choice words about him and his attitude in general, so.....yeah. but they dont even play the same position, so they dont really affect each other as far as being here.

Oh I know, it's just the point of it. You can tell the guys who appreciate their chance to play with this team. Playing in the NHL is not something many people get to do in the the overall picture and if you get greedy with the opportunity it will be gone before you realize what you had.

And for Babs' shot..yeah 100...but um, not really a point to a shot like that when it never went anywhere near the net. And even if Tanabe is "awful" this year (your opinion, not mine) at least he appreciates his chance.

But you go ahead and get personal with me being "disillusional" I am not fighting about this anymore.

If Babchuk is so great then how come JR couldn't even give him away during the draft this year like he tried to?

I would think if his attitude wasn't a problem then another team would've scooped him up, but he couldn't get a taker.

Tanabe has been awful for us this year, don't know what games you've been watching. Borer up with us next year? He's not even a steady in Albany this year, only guy I see coming up next year is Carson. Don't need another guy with a big shot? Are you kidding me? Since when do you turn down a guy with a 100mph shot because you already have one. Ridiculous logic.

100 mph shot that rarely found the net when he was here. the season has only started, so Borer has alot of chances to get steady in albany.

and as far as tanabe is concerned, he is even on the +/-, so he couldnt have been TOO bad. in that category much better than hedican. although hedican plays a little more than tanabe. maybe he isnt our best d-man, but id take his good attitude and mediocre play over babchuck's bad attitude and equally mediocre play any day

If Babchuk is so great then how come JR couldn't even give him away during the draft this year like he tried to?

I would think if his attitude wasn't a problem then another team would've scooped him up, but he couldn't get a taker.

By the time the draft had rolled around, Babchuk was already committed to Avangard so he would've missed a full NHL season regardless. The best move, if they wanted to rid themselves of Babchuk, would have been to trade him as quickly as they possibly could have.

Yes, Babchuck's got a rocket shot that rarely found the net. However, look at his stats right now. 5 goals in 25 games. Attitude or not, if you're getting that kind of scoring from a defensemen, he's got to be finding the back of the net somehow.

Yes, Babchuck's got a rocket shot that rarely found the net. However, look at his stats right now. 5 goals in 25 games. Attitude or not, if you're getting that kind of scoring from a defensemen, he's got to be finding the back of the net somehow.

it's not like he is playing against NHL teams. he played 96 games in the NHL in his career with only 26 pts total (7 goals, 19 assists). in addition, each year he has ended in the - portion of the +/-

it's not like he is playing against NHL teams. he played 96 games in the NHL in his career with only 26 pts total (7 goals, 19 assists). in addition, each year he has ended in the - portion of the +/-

The RSL is still a very talented league. 26 points in 96 games from a young defenseman is pretty solid anyways. Plus, to counter your pointing out him being in the minus, he played on a very poor Chicago team for most of those games. +/- isn't always the best stat to judge someones performance by anyways.

The RSL is still a very talented league. 26 points in 96 games from a young defenseman is pretty solid anyways. Plus, to counter your pointing out him being in the minus, he played on a very poor Chicago team for most of those games. +/- isn't always the best stat to judge someones performance by anyways.

yeah it's not the best, but he played better in the +/- range for chicago than he did for carolina. and those 96 games were over 3 seasons. 32 games per season. thats 50 games not playing.

and to counter your point, he also played for a very talented Carolina team in 05-06...needless to say, that year wasn't too shabby for them.

at least aucoin is appreciative of his chances to play. babchuk whines when something doesnt go his way. I actually know someone who dated him. she had many choice words about him and his attitude in general, so.....yeah. but they dont even play the same position, so they dont really affect each other as far as being here.

That was exactly the point I was trying to make earlier. Babchuk would fit in perfect with the Florida Panthers.

and to counter your point, he also played for a very talented Carolina team in 05-06...needless to say, that year wasn't too shabby for them.

He was only -2 through 22 games that year so I fail to see the point. Far better defensemen finish in the minus some years. Like I said, it's not the best stat to judge someone's performance by. And thanks for filling me in on how the team did in 05/06, because I totally didn't become a fan until after they won the cup :rolleyes:

Take away Babchuk's big shot from the point and what do you have? A marginal Dman who is below average in terms of positioning, is not a particularly good skater or passer but who to his credit will block shots. All of his on-ice contributions though are outweighed by his poor attitude which has surfaced in Russia, in the NHL and in the AHL. Three strikes and you are out. Good bye and good riddance.

Why some people are enamored with the a guy who can't shoot straight or keep his head on straight is beyond me.

Take away Babchuk's big shot from the point and what do you have? A marginal Dman who is below average in terms of positioning, is not a particularly good skater or passer but who to his credit will block shots. All of his on-ice contributions though are outweighed by his poor attitude which has surfaced in Russia, in the NHL and in the AHL. Three strikes and you are out. Good bye and good riddance.

Why some people are enamored with the a guy who can't shoot straight or keep his head on straight is beyond me.

His poor attitude has surfaced in Russia? Haven't heard anything but if you know something I'd like to hear it. If he's even having problems there then that would really say something about him.

His poor attitude has surfaced in Russia? Haven't heard anything but if you know something I'd like to hear it. If he's even having problems there then that would really say something about him.

I was referring to a prior problem he had on the national team concerning a run-in with the coach. The fact that he has had issues wherever he has been speaks volumes.

I was referring to a prior problem he had on the national team concerning a run-in with the coach. The fact that he has had issues wherever he has been speaks volumes.

Haven't heard that one, care to share? I know it must seem weird that I like him so much but I honestly can't help but feel bad for the guy.

Haven't heard that one, care to share? I know it must seem weird that I like him so much but I honestly can't help but feel bad for the guy.

It was running conflict over his attitude with the national coach that got so bad he was excluded from the Under 20 squad although he was one of the best players. It happened right before he got drafted by Blackhawks.

I had thought I remembered him playing for that team but I guess it was u18. He's been on a couple of their four and five nations teams so must be a different coach.

I had thought I remembered him playing for that team but I guess it was u18. He's been on a couple of their four and five nations teams so must be a different coach.

He had been a fixture on their junior national teams previously but he was definitely kept off the Under 20 squad that competed before the draft that year. The fact he got left off after that kind of history was pretty telling about his conduct.

He also didn't help his stock in the AHL when he fired a water bottle into the stands. The guy has plenty of raw talent but may not have the emotional abilities to match.

He had been a fixture on their junior national teams previously but he was definitely kept off the Under 20 squad that competed before the draft that year. The fact he got left off after that kind of history was pretty telling about his conduct.

He also didn't help his stock in the AHL when he fired a water bottle into the stands. The guy has plenty of raw talent but may not have the emotional abilities to match.

Yup, that wasn't a pretty scene in the ahl. He was actually suspended for that as he hit a child with the bottle I believe. Not really sure what he was thinking when he decided to fire it into the crowd from the penalty box. Either way, this is a confused young man. Really hope he can get his act together because I'd like to see him back in the nhl.

I not nearly as familiar as you two are with Babchuk's history but with what I do know, I'd have to guess that he's been labeled as uncoachable. This label won't go away and regardless of his talent or potential, only a very desperate GM would consider adding that to their locker room. I think his NHL days are done, which is too bad cause we could really use a dman right now.

I not nearly as familiar as you two are with Babchuk's history but with what I do know, I'd have to guess that he's been labeled as uncoachable. This label won't go away and regardless of his talent or potential, only a very desperate GM would consider adding that to their locker room. I think his NHL days are done, which is too bad cause we could really use a dman right now.

Babchuk is done with this organization. JR tried very hard to trade him for a 5th round pick and this was even before the draft. He couldn't even be had for a 5th round pick. Its not like JR was asking for a 1st or 2nd, but a 5th and no takers.

And as far as the argument of he was one of our best defenseman when he got sent down and you can understand why he was angry about that. My answer to that is NO he was not the best defenseman when he got sent down. Yes, he was very good for us in the beginning and he was one of the best defenseman. However, in December his play started detoriating and he wasn't very good. Crap, Tanabe was playing better than he was and Babchuk was finding himself in the pressbox. So management decided that in order for him to work on his skills it would benefit him better to actually play then sit in the pressbox. Which in my mind is the right decision. He's young and it would be better for him to play then sit. And at that time, he wasn't playing good enough to warrant a play with the big boys.

Babchuk thought that he was too good for the AHL, he even made a comment about this how there are others on the team that should be sent down not him. How do you think his former Canes teammates and his now new River Rats teammates took that? He was pretty much saying some of his former teammates didn't warrant to stay with the big club and telling his River Rats teammates that he is too good to play with them.

He's been known to have attitude problems and that attitude is finely catching up to him. Other NHL teams are seeing this and don't want that in their locker room. Until he can get it through his big head that he ain't better than anyone else, I don't want him on this team.