The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
max

Nastiuk, River Rats Blank Penguins 4-0

A very well played game tonight buy the whole team. I am really impressed with Nastiuk this season. He has played 3 games and he is 3-0 with the shutout tonight.

Why is it they score in front of Nastiuk?! How about they do that for Leighton.

Really though, that's good for them, they needed the win.

Why is it they score in front of Nastiuk?! How about they do that for Leighton.

Really though, that's good for them, they needed the win.

I could not agree more. I mean I am glad they are playing well infront of Nastiuk but he is not going to play every night and Leighton is. They really need to pick it up when Leighton is in there. Leighton has keept us in every game this season. And yes we really really needed that win very badly tonight. Lets hope they can start rolling now off that win.

No matter how many goals they get in front of either goalie, as long as they win, thats all that matters!

Yeah but Leighton has been doing magic for them, and they haven't been scoring enough so they've been losing in front of him.

Yeah but Leighton has been doing magic for them, and they haven't been scoring enough so they've been losing in front of him.
Very true. Yes winning is what matters but like Tangledheart said Leighton has been outstanding for the River Rats every game so far and it seems like he has to get a shutout everynight in order for us to win. And everyone knows a goalie is not going to get a shutout every game. If Leighton gives up 1 or 2 goals in a game we are trouble of losing.

well then they DO need to step up. our guys will play tough for him hahah

Hahahaha indeed.

Well, I guess it's good that he is getting tested now then.

Hey Carolina fans! I've been a lurker on this board, particularly this section, as I also attend many River Rats games here in Albany, and have found myself being more supportive of the Hurricanes in the process. Their my #2 NHL team. My 1 will always stay my 1. (NYI) ;)

I decided to register and post here, because I think the posted article completely overlooked the play of one player in this game, and he deserves tons of props for an outstanding game. And because I believe this player deserves to get props from his Carolina fans who are interested in him, it prompted me to register. That player is Casey Borer. Defensemen usually do get overlooked unless the other team gets a goal that deflects off their skate, right? ;) In my opinion, it was the best game that Casey has had in a River Rats uniform.

Nastiuk doesn't get this shut out if not for Borer. There was one sequence in the first period, with the Rats up 1-0 and on a penalty kill where there was a wild scramble in front of the net and Nastiuk was out of position. All a Wilkes-Barre player had to do was an easy tip in goal. Casey then makes a great play, while on his knees, to clear the puck out of the trouble area. Simple play..... but if he doesn't make it, it's 1-1 and the complexion of this game is entirely different. Then in the second period, Casey made another outstanding play, again on a Wilkes-Barre power play. where the Penguins were buzzing and the Rats were scrambling, WBS had three guys in front of the net, and the Rats with only one (Borer). It was another very simple play, but when the pass receipient got the puck on the by the far post, Casey, with the poise of veteran, anticipated the play all the way, tied up the shooters stick, and the WBS player never got a good shot off. I said to the person I was with then.... "Casey, after Nastiuk, is the star of this game but no one will notice." When Casey later scored his goal, which was a nice shot, I thought he could crack the 3 stars of the games since the Albany media tends to only look at goals and assists and overlooks defense.

I just thought you all would want to know this, since I know that Borer is one of the prospects that Carolina particularly has high hopes for. He was brilliant. Do me a favor and also give him props on this thread, too. Thanks! :P

Great day at the Times Union Center too, with the Siena Saints earlier in the day upsetting Stanford in NCAA hoops!

Hey Carolina fans! I've been a lurker on this board, particularly this section, as I also attend many River Rats games here in Albany, and have found myself being more supportive of the Hurricanes in the process. Their my #2 NHL team. My 1 will always stay my 1. (NYI) ;)

I decided to register and post here, because I think the posted article completely overlooked the play of one player in this game, and he deserves tons of props for an outstanding game. And because I believe this player deserves to get props from his Carolina fans who are interested in him, it prompted me to register. That player is Casey Borer. Defensemen usually do get overlooked unless the other team gets a goal that deflects off their skate, right? ;) In my opinion, it was the best game that Casey has had in a River Rats uniform.

Nastiuk doesn't get this shut out if not for Borer. There was one sequence in the first period, with the Rats up 1-0 and on a penalty kill where there was a wild scramble in front of the net and Nastiuk was out of position. All a Wilkes-Barre player had to do was an easy tip in goal. Casey then makes a great play, while on his knees, to clear the puck out of the trouble area. Simple play..... but if he doesn't make it, it's 1-1 and the complexion of this game is entirely different. Then in the second period, Casey made another outstanding play, again on a Wilkes-Barre power play. where the Penguins were buzzing and the Rats were scrambling, WBS had three guys in front of the net, and the Rats with only one (Borer). It was another very simple play, but when the pass receipient got the puck on the by the far post, Casey, with the poise of veteran, anticipated the play all the way, tied up the shooters stick, and the WBS player never got a good shot off. I said to the person I was with then.... "Casey, after Nastiuk, is the star of this game but no one will notice." When Casey later scored his goal, which was a nice shot, I thought he could crack the 3 stars of the games since the Albany media tends to only look at goals and assists and overlooks defense.

I just thought you all would want to know this, since I know that Borer is one of the prospects that Carolina particularly has high hopes for. He was brilliant. Do me a favor and also give him props on this thread, too. Thanks! :P

Great day at the Times Union Center too, with the Siena Saints earlier in the day upsetting Stanford in NCAA hoops!

To be honest AlbanyCane I do not think I have overlooked Casey Borer. I have said a few times on this board how I thought Casey Borer was the most ready d-man on this team for the NHL at this time. I agree he did have a wonderfull game lastnight But I have been impressed with him all season long to this point.

Max has been doing a good job keeping us up to date, especially about the defensive prospects. Glad you registered cause the more we hear from you guys that watch the Rats the more we learn down here in NC. Defense is the biggest need, short and long term for this team, so any insight from all of you is appreciated.

So far I'm very impressed with what Im hearing about this kid but Im also apprehensive about bringing him up too soon. Let him have his full season to develop and possibly secure a spot next season.

How 'bout Carson?

Max has been doing a good job keeping us up to date, especially about the defensive prospects. Glad you registered cause the more we hear from you guys that watch the Rats the more we learn down here in NC. Defense is the biggest need, short and long term for this team, so any insight from all of you is appreciated.

So far I'm very impressed with what Im hearing about this kid but Im also apprehensive about bringing him up too soon. Let him have his full season to develop and possibly secure a spot next season.

How 'bout Carson?

How 'bout Carson?

Carson could be doing better. I personalty do not think he is doing bad but I do not think he is doing as good as he did last season. But by no means is he doing bad.

Max, didn't mean that in any way against you, you do a great job with the recaps and updates; and in a game where I think everyone played well, you cant go through everyone.

Borer was just brilliant in this game, and I wanted to give him recognition because sometimes it is hard for a defensemen to get that when he just does a great job in the defensive zone and doesn't get on the scoresheet, although he later did in this game.

Topshelf, I agree with you that as well as Borer is playing this year, that he should not see NHL time this year, except maybe a game or two late in the season just to give him a taste of it, unless the Canes get hit with a rash of injuries on the blue line. He looks like he has a ton of potential, and I would just let him develop it for a full season in the minors to keep his confidence at a high level that he can and will continue to get better, because there's always that risk of rushing him. As long as Carolina continues to play well, let him develop, I say. Brett Carson has been fairly good this year for the most part, but does still at times leave you frustrated and thinking he can be doing more. I see his potential though, but if I were the Canes I would nurture him a little more slowly.

Max, didn't mean that in any way against you, you do a great job with the recaps and updates; and in a game where I think everyone played well, you cant go through everyone.

Borer was just brilliant in this game, and I wanted to give him recognition because sometimes it is hard for a defensemen to get that when he just does a great job in the defensive zone and doesn't get on the scoresheet, although he later did in this game.

Topshelf, I agree with you that as well as Borer is playing this year, that he should not see NHL time this year, except maybe a game or two late in the season just to give him a taste of it, unless the Canes get hit with a rash of injuries on the blue line. He looks like he has a ton of potential, and I would just let him develop it for a full season in the minors to keep his confidence at a high level that he can and will continue to get better, because there's always that risk of rushing him. As long as Carolina continues to play well, let him develop, I say. Brett Carson has been fairly good this year for the most part, but does still at times leave you frustrated and thinking he can be doing more. I see his potential though, but if I were the Canes I would nurture him a little more slowly.

I am sorry AlbanyCane if you thought I took it in a way against me I did not. I was just saying I have mention Borer a bit the past week or so.