The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ecuhockeyguy-sb1

Ryan Duncan:

Here are a few more goals of his in a UND sweater....

These are all against the U of Minnesota, UND's BIGGEST rival by far

with the assist from #9 Toews

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c91/RedF...l2-Duncan-1.flv

assits from #7 Oshie and #4 Taylor Chorney (great GREAT offensive d-man, btw, but drafted by Oilers, watch for them to not pick him up and maybe we can take a stab at him as well)

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c91/RedF...oal4-Duncan.flv

LOOK! HE CAN CLEAN UP REBOUNDS TOO!!

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c91/RedF...oal4-Duncan.flv

Amazing strip of a Gopher player and quick snipe 5 hole I think

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c91/RedF...oal5-Duncan.flv

Theses are vs. various teams

vs. UM Mankato: from the slot, assisted by Toews

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c91/RedF...oal1-Duncan.flv

vs. UM Duluth: jock strap of that D-man is somewhere out there on the ice still, over a year later haha

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c91/RedF...oal2-Duncan.flv

vs. Denver: Tic-Tac-Toe Radke (left point) to Smaby (right point) to Stafford (bottom left) to Duncan (right circle)....SNIPE!

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c91/RedF...DuncanDen06.flv

vs. St Cloud State: Make the goalie bite with the fake shot, then sneak it in behind

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c91/RedF...uncanSCSU06.flv

vs. St Cloud State: Toews does most of the work, but Duncan knows where to be and gets the front-of-net pass and stuffs is

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c91/RedF...uncanSCSU06.flv

vs. Denver: Toews gets the goal, but Duncan does all the work....

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c91/RedF...ToewsReplay.flv

vs. UM Mankato: SNIPE once again

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c91/RedF...Goal3-Dunca.flv

vs. UM Mankato: makes it look so EASY. just takes it and kinda tip toes towards the goalie and then lights him up

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c91/RedF...y-Goal1-Dun.flv

vs. Michigan: Tic-Tac-Toe once again...SNIPE!

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c91/RedF...uncanMich06.flv

vs. Minnesota: Chorney knows exactly where to pass that puck....SNIPE!!

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c91/RedF...a-F5-Goal2-.flv

vs. Colorado College: Right place, right time......wide open

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1285265707

vs. Colorado College: goalie O'Connell knew it was coming....Duncan freezes him after some great tic-tac-toe passing once again (how come the canes cant pass like this lol)

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1284274808

lastly, vs. Denver: Shorthanded tally

http://www.vidilife.com/index.cfm?f=media....D88-466C-8D50-E

and last but not least....Hobey Baker ceremony

hope you all enjoy all of these!!!

You just have to worry about how is style of play will translate to the NHL. LaRose scored 117 points in his final year in the OHL but, as you stated, he has been ineffective offensively at the NHL level. Does he play physical enough that, when he attempts to park himself beside the net in the NHL, he won't immediately be knocked out of the play? Does he have the world-class speed that allows players like St. Louis to be successful in the NHL? Has he shown he can still produce on a consistent basis without Oshie and Toews on his line?

You just have to worry about how is style of play will translate to the NHL. LaRose scored 117 points in his final year in the OHL but, as you stated, he has been ineffective offensively at the NHL level. Does he play physical enough that, when he attempts to park himself beside the net in the NHL, he won't immediately be knocked out of the play? Does he have the world-class speed that allows players like St. Louis to be successful in the NHL? Has he shown he can still produce on a consistent basis without Oshie and Toews on his line?

UMMMM REALITY CHECK.... <_<

UMMMM REALITY CHECK.... <_<

Sometimes a good dose of reality is needed. 5' 6" is REALLY small, especially considering how all teams have beefed up after the Ducks Cup win. And while it's well and good that he's scoring in the NCAA, that hardly means he can do the same in the NHL. That's quite a jump.

Sometimes a good dose of reality is needed. 5' 6" is REALLY small, especially considering how all teams have beefed up after the Ducks Cup win. And while it's well and good that he's scoring in the NCAA, that hardly means he can do the same in the NHL. That's quite a jump.

Well, but hoesntly, is that not a question for EVERY player making the jump to the NHL at any point? No one ever knows until they actually get to the NHL and start plying how well they are doing. Some do alot better, some do alot worse, some are just as good.

I wouldn't say he is the most physical guy, but a little tough to do when you are that small. There are big guys in the NCAA though, too. A few 6'7"s and lots of 6'5"s. Yes he is definitely fast. One of the things that you really cant get an appreciation for on those goal videos is his breakout speed. He accelerates VERY fast, and handles the puck pretty well. I wouldnt quite put him on the level of St. Louis (college aged) right now, but close.

As far as producing without Toews and Oshie, well, Oshie is still there, and right now Duncs has 15 points (6g, 9a) in 15 games. His other linemate now is Chris Vande Velde, an Oilers 4th round draft pick in his second year at UND. Oshie is obviously a driving force in Duncs getting points, but trust me, when Duncs is in that spot on the right side, he is almost unstoppable. Even when that one goaltender knew exactly what was coming, Duncs just held it for an extra second, then still roofed him.

Obviously the jump from the NCAA to the NHL is a big one. As long as he were to do some conditioning over the summer and beef up a little bit, I think he would to pretty well. But again, just one of those things you never know about. Line chemistry is a big thing to. Oshie and Duncs have been on the same line together now for a little over 2 years and therefore know each other and where each other will be.....like Whitney and Cullen. If he were to be thrown on a fast line with, say, whit and cullen, I think he would do VERY well for us. I could see a LaRose-Staal-Duncan line as well......but thats just me.

Funny how someone brought up Martin St. Louis. He never got drafted either cause he's too small. Calgary dumpe dhim on waivers cause he was too small, now look what he's doing, the guy was as big a diamond in the rough as you can find. It really comes down to will and heart. I don't know if we should get this guy, I'm no scout, and an nHL scout could more likely tell if he has potential.

I definitely wouldn't criticize him on his size though, especially with the new NHL. Either way I hope Ryan Duncan gets notices by some team.

i think he sounds like a good solid pick, maybe we can sneak him in, in a later round because of his small size. would like to see him play for us one day maybe if he can prove himself. couldnt hurt to grow a few inches though, bc i am currently taller than him

Always risky taking a small, small forward...sometimes it works out but usually not...simply b/c they're so easy to knock off the puck (whereas a St. Louis is small but also incredibly hard to take the puck away from)...I mean just look at Ray Whitney...lots of nites where he can't get a shot off cause the defenders surround him and take the puck away. I like the looks of this guy though, and it never hurt to take a chance on people.

i think he sounds like a good solid pick, maybe we can sneak him in, in a later round because of his small size. would like to see him play for us one day maybe if he can prove himself. couldnt hurt to grow a few inches though, bc i am currently taller than him

oh this brings up a point I left out......he is too old for the draft, ineligible, so he would have to be just a stright up signing in the offseason.

i know it is a long stretch, as he is one player on one team in one league out of MANY, but i thought i would throw him out there. I loved to watch the kid when I was there, and had a class with him my sophomore year (same one as I had with Toews, Sociology with the best freaking Prof I have ever had). Was always easy to pick him out. Very humble kid, attitude will NEVER get in the way. Very nice, very personable.

My post wasn't meant as any type of insult, I was just genuinely interested in what the guy has to offer. It's nice to see the college statistics and the impressive goals, but what really determines whether a prospect can make it in the NHL is what can't be seen in statistics of video clips. It's what you would have the most knowledge about, the guy's overall game.

Most of those goalies you listed that he's beaten may be elite in the ncaa but the majority of them aren't that great. Also, I'd like to see what Duncan can do without those linemates. Is he still playing on a line with Oshie? My point, as someone who hasn't seen him in full games, is that he may just be along for the ride. It's easy to look good in a highlight video, that's the point.

I know we aren't too bad off as far as depth at forward is concerned, but if we were to end up dropping someone with a big name to get that good d-man we need, I would much rather take a guy like Duncan now and get an immediate impact on the 3rd or 4th line and let Bowman and Sutter continue to develop in their respective places.

Waitaminute, are you suggesting he could step in and play on the third or fourth line? If so, then wow. Hate to break it to you but this kid is a couple years away from the nhl if anyone ever takes a chance on him. Right now I would hope we're talking to Fabian Brunnstrom about a contract. Kid could be the biggest diamond in the rough to come out of Sweden since Daniel Alfredsson.

Well I wasn't merely suggesting he come straight in, but he is just as good as Oshie and Toews at this point and has been left out of the draft, completely overlooked, so maybe a season in Albany and bring him up. I know the NCAA is completely different than the NHL, even AHL, as I mentinoed in my initial post, but Toews, Stastny, Backes.....not to mention a few others, have all recently made a seemingly easy transition from the NCAA directly to the NHL. It can be done. Duncan does still play with Oshie, yes. The 2 know each other well, which is why I am thinking St. Luis is probably interested in him. Acually, I know they are, because he attended some camp of theirs with Oshie last summer. He did very well there. Like I have said, this isnt anything too serious, just trying to throw a name out there to be discussed.

Now, as someone who has seen him numerous times in the past, to comment on his overall game, I am not sure what you need for me to comment on specifically. He is fairly physical for a small guy, but usually stays away from the boards. That is a downside I see. What else would you need to know?

Most of those goalies you listed that he's beaten may be elite in the ncaa but the majority of them aren't that great. Also, I'd like to see what Duncan can do without those linemates. Is he still playing on a line with Oshie? My point, as someone who hasn't seen him in full games, is that he may just be along for the ride. It's easy to look good in a highlight video, that's the point.

As far as the goalies are concerned......you do know that most of these guys are not in the NHL/AHL yet because they are staying with their schools as the last line of defense, some of the best in some cases. Schneider, Mannino, Goepfort, Elliot, Bishop, Lerg.....all are AWESOME goalies. And actually, Elliot is in the AHL right now, even came up and played a game for Ottawa earlier in the season when Emery was still out....and won it. So, these arent necessarily bad goalies. They are the best the NCAA has to offer. And trust me, I have seen all of them in person, and they are just as good, if not better, than some of the guys we have floating around and being used right now as goalies in the NHL. Remember, Ryan Miller played at Michigan State for a few years. He isn't too bad.

Well I wasn't merely suggesting he come straight in, but he is just as good as Oshie and Toews at this point and has been left out of the draft, completely overlooked, so maybe a season in Albany and bring him up. I know the NCAA is completely different than the NHL, even AHL, as I mentinoed in my initial post, but Toews, Stastny, Backes.....not to mention a few others, have all recently made a seemingly easy transition from the NCAA directly to the NHL. It can be done. Duncan does still play with Oshie, yes. The 2 know each other well, which is why I am thinking St. Luis is probably interested in him. Acually, I know they are, because he attended some camp of theirs with Oshie last summer. He did very well there. Like I have said, this isnt anything too serious, just trying to throw a name out there to be discussed.

Now, as someone who has seen him numerous times in the past, to comment on his overall game, I am not sure what you need for me to comment on specifically. He is fairly physical for a small guy, but usually stays away from the boards. That is a downside I see. What else would you need to know?

As far as the goalies are concerned......you do know that most of these guys are not in the NHL/AHL yet because they are staying with their schools as the last line of defense, some of the best in some cases. Schneider, Mannino, Goepfort, Elliot, Bishop, Lerg.....all are AWESOME goalies. And actually, Elliot is in the AHL right now, even came up and played a game for Ottawa earlier in the season when Emery was still out....and won it. So, these arent necessarily bad goalies. They are the best the NCAA has to offer. And trust me, I have seen all of them in person, and they are just as good, if not better, than some of the guys we have floating around and being used right now as goalies in the NHL. Remember, Ryan Miller played at Michigan State for a few years. He isn't too bad.

A quick breakdown of your "awesome goalies":

Cory Schneider could become a starter in the nhl

Kellen Briggs is undrafted and now playing in the echl

Peter Mannino is undrafted and will probably wind up in the echl next year after his eligibility is up

Brian Elliot could turn into a starter at the nhl level, looked good in his short time with the sens.

Matt Zaba is an 8th round pick of the kings putting up terrible stats in the echl this year.

Bobby Goepfert is a 6th round pick of the penguins who's looking good so far in the echl, played 3 games so far with ridiculous stats.

Joe Fallon is a 6th round pick for the hawks who could see time as a backup in the nhl in a few years time, possibly.

Bishop is looking good too, could be a starter in the nhl one day. St. Louis took him with a 3rd.

Sauer could make it as a backup one day, but I'm not sold on his as are many.

Jeff Lerg is undrafted and will probably wind up in the echl after running out his eligibility.

So there you go, lots of future minor leaguers and a few guys who could develop into nhl quality keepers in a couple of years. Schneider is the best right now and even he's not ready for the nhl. So as far as saying they're better than guys in the nhl, well, you seriously overrate the ncaa. Hasn't been a big feeder for nhl talent.

Sure he is a great player at the college level, but organiztions pay good money to scouts for seeking out talent at the NHL level. Though I don't see him as being more than a spare part, if he is worth a darn, some scout will convince a team to sign the man.

shane, I appreciate the work you did to find out about each of those goalies! either you knew all about em already, or you went and took some major time to find out about each! Some of those I had no idea were in the ECHL. The status of some of those is surprising to me. The ones I listed are those from the best school in the past 3 years, with the best records (in some cases), some with the best records in school history. The WCHA (UND's conference) is the best in the nation by far, and Hockey East is right behind. So it is interesting to see that so few of those 'amazing' goalies I saw for those few years are not looking like they will make it very far in the professional realm of hockey.

Some of you are really starting to take all of this about us getting Duncan very seriously haha. You have to understand, I was bored one night and decided to put all of this about him up there, knowing he is a good, fast skater who is undrafted and kills the top right corner of the net almost every game (lol). Seeing that we have Ladd and Larose, who are both young and great skaters, but can't seem to score, I figured, why not mention it. Of course, turned into a huge, long explanation of the guy, which is cool, because I do appreciate the interest. BUT it isnt really something that is too serious at all.

Now, as far as for your comment Arvent, St. Louis has already been scouting him, as previously mentioned, for a little while. Since he has played with T.J. Oshie (a 1st round draft pick of theirs) for almost 2 whole seasons now, and has consistently put up points with him, the feel he would be a good fit on their team, with 'the Osh' of course. Now, I foresee Oshie coming into the league next year and playing very well right from the start. Maybe not as well as Toews or Stastny, but maybe like Kessel? A bit of a slow start, but then really starts to pick it up (and leave out the cancer of course). He will be a valuable asset to that team I feel. In addition, they picked up Chris Porter, who was the UND team captain in 2006-2007, a very physical forward, and a very powerful skater. Porter was drafted by the Hawks, but they never signed him. If the Blues put all 3 of them together on their team, it could get very scary for a little bit, considering they all 3 know each other's style of play to a T and where they will be and when.

My point is all of this is as follows: Scouts come to arenas to look at players. I sat next to a scout for some ECHL team my freshman year at one team and talked to him for quite a while. Can't remember what team it was, or who he was scouting, I think it may have been Rory McMahon, but anyways, I know they come to games. Duncan has been vaulted much higher up on teams' lists to look at since he won the Hobey Baker last year, so I am sure a team will pick him up. Now, I will hate if he does and plays at the NHL level right away and Ward starts getting sniped just like those other guys. I promise you, if he has developed that shot over the years to take down the best the NCAA can offer, consistently, then he can, I am sure, develop it further to take out the best the NHL has to offer (ex. Lundqvist, Brodeur, Ward?)

Brian Gionta is 5'7", and this kid could grow an inch or two still.

well yeah I am not sure if he will or not, but I am telling you....I have been watching Vinny Lecavlier alot lately, and his shot from the right dot is about the same. Duncan is looking more and more like a mix of St. Louis and Lecavlier and that would be a POTENT mix if he can play well........just a thought.