The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
max

River Rats Playoffs - Round #1 vs the Phantoms

I can not beleive how well this team came out and perfromed tonight. They came to play and that they did. Leights was amazing again in net tonight. He was even more amazing then he normally is. He looked like a man that was determained to win. The game got really really nasty with about 30 seconds left in the game. There are going to be suspensions from this. But very proud of this team for getting the jump in the series.

I noticed the three fights with about thirty seconds left to play, looks like this could be a physical series throughout. Impressive performance by Leighton. It would be hard to think of a better way to start off a series.

Glad they got the win, and that Leights got the shutout. He has just been hands down all season.

I watch the fight, and boy oh boy....I do not know that it is too smart to go getting involved in brawls like this. It's what the Phantoms want no doubt.

Congratulations on the big win, many more to come! Also, I just realized that the AHL playoff format isn't the same as the NHL's 2-2-1-1-1 system. Does this only apply to the first round or throughout the playoffs?

Congratulations on the big win, many more to come! Also, I just realized that the AHL playoff format isn't the same as the NHL's 2-2-1-1-1 system. Does this only apply to the first round or throughout the playoffs?

If you look at the schedules of all the series: http://www.caldercup.com/news/caldernews/index.html?article_id=138' target="_blank">http://www.caldercup.com/news/caldernews/i...?article_id=138[/post]

It looks like they just do what ever they can to fit the games in with what else is going on at the rinks. And also ideally minimize the travel.

If you look at the schedules of all the series: http://www.caldercup.com/news/caldernews/index.html?article_id=138' target="_blank">http://www.caldercup.com/news/caldernews/i...?article_id=138[/post]

It looks like they just do what ever they can to fit the games in with what else is going on at the rinks. And also ideally minimize the travel.

Yeah for the most part that is how they do it. Philly has home ice in this series with us but they could not host game 1 because they have the circus in there building. So they swtiched games 1 for game 3 with us. In this series it was suppos to be 2-3-2 but like I said they switched games 1 for game 3 with us. And the games we play with them down there will be played at the Wacovia Center where the Flyers play.

Sounds like they're relaxed and having fun.

Funny quotes:

The skate was uneventful ... until Jakub Petruzalek, who was taking wrist shots from side to side at the boards, shattered a pane of plexiglas near center ice. It was spectacular in the way the glass splintered and then slowly crumbled to the ice.

"It was a nice feeling, you know?" a sheepish Petruzalek said. "I'm feeling pretty confident about my shot right now."

"If there was ever a sign that Petro is on steroids, there it is," defenseman Joey Mormina joked. After Leighton, who was already in the locker room, heard what happened, he said, "You guys might want to tell (Phantoms starting goalie Scott) Munroe that Petro is really feeling it today."

Funny quotes:

The skate was uneventful ... until Jakub Petruzalek, who was taking wrist shots from side to side at the boards, shattered a pane of plexiglas near center ice. It was spectacular in the way the glass splintered and then slowly crumbled to the ice.

"It was a nice feeling, you know?" a sheepish Petruzalek said. "I'm feeling pretty confident about my shot right now."

"If there was ever a sign that Petro is on steroids, there it is," defenseman Joey Mormina joked. After Leighton, who was already in the locker room, heard what happened, he said, "You guys might want to tell (Phantoms starting goalie Scott) Munroe that Petro is really feeling it today."

Funny quotes:

I hope so. After the way the played the other night they should be relaxed. If they continue to play the same way they played the other night this may be a short series for the Phantoms.

They looked horrible tonight. I think they forgot there was a game tonight. Sorry just do not have much to say tonight just really digusted with there effort tonight.

Hope this team comes out with a better effort tomorrow night because if they don't we will be in some serious trouble.

What the hell happened. How do you win 4 - 0 . Then get outshot 40 to 18 and loose 3 - 0. Leighton must have stood on his head. If the game was that lopsided they Philly must have had a lot of good scoring chances? or were there a lot of shots from outstide.

What the hell happened. How do you win 4 - 0 . Then get outshot 40 to 18 and loose 3 - 0. Leighton must have stood on his head. If the game was that lopsided they Philly must have had a lot of good scoring chances? or were there a lot of shots from outstide.
In game one it was just like the Rats could not do anything wrong and the Phantoms could not do anything right. It was jut a perfect game all the way around. Philly outshot us in game one like 39-25 or somthing like that but none of those shots were really decent shot most of them were from the outside just thrown on net. In game 2 it was just like it was reversed we could not do anything right. And we tried to get fancy and pretty and we got bit right in the behinds. Again thow in game 2 most of the 40 shots Philly had were not that good. The best shot they had allnight in game 2 was the first goal they scored. Great shot there was nothing Leights could do about it. The only thing that really pissed me off about the first goal was Kiel McLoed was giving a 5 minute major penalty for highsticking. In the AHL if you highstick a player and draw blood it is 5. But the thing was there was no one around McLoed when he got the penalty. What heppened was a Phantoms player took a shot on Leights. And three Rats players surrounded Leights to make sure there was no pokes on him. There was a Rats player to the right of Leights (forget who the Rats player was) and he had a Phantoms player with him ther. Then Kiel McLoed was right infront of Leights with no one around him and another player to the left of Leights (again forget who the player was) but that player had no one around him. Ref never had his arm up on nothing to indacate there was a penalty coming next thing I know the PA announcer was announcing the Kiel McLoed was in the box for 5 minutes. Still have no clue where the high stick was. Not blaming the Ref for the loss because the Rats looke horrible all night long except for Leights. That was the only problem I had with the Ref all night long. The second goal was all Bryan Rodney's fault. Philly dumped the puck into the Rats zone and Bryan Rodney went to colllect the puck and he went right infront of the net and as he was going infront of the net he put the puck right onto the tape of a Phantoms player stick right infront of Leights and Leights was hung out to dry as he was not ready for the shot because he thought Rodney had the puck next then he knew the puck was in the net. The third goal was an empty netter. It was just a really frustrating night and that was just a total disgrace to watch lastnight. Very embarresed with the way they performed lastnight. Like I said except for Leights. The rest of the team should be embarrased with the way they played. And at the worst time to play like that.