The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
max

River Rats Playoffs - Round #1 vs the Phantoms

Now going into OT 5, longest game in AHL Playoff history.

UNOFFICIAL: There is no official record of most saves in an AHL Playoff game, but the unofficial record WAS Ty Conklin with 82 saves... Leighton has 97 saves on 99 shots so far. Killed it.

I'm reaching here I know, but Conklin has been amazing in the NHL so its not too irrational to think Leighton, who just beat his record, is worthy of a shot in front of the Canes net!

What a load off my mind. What a sweet win for the team tonight. Awsome awsome game by both teams today. Thankfully we pulled this one out. Now just got to hope and pray they come out with the same kind of performance again on Tuesday. Oh I pray we can get past this round.

Oh also I am for benching that bum Leighton also. How dare he make only 40 saves and get a shutout. We should run him out of town now :lol: Also thought I should mention me and the wife went to Albany's arena football game tonight the Albany Conquest. And during the first quarter there was a stop in play and the PA announcer say we have one more major announcement to make. He says this afternoon in the AHL the Albany River Rats defeated the Philadelphia Phantoms 1-0 in overtime. Now the Albany Conquest won the game but him making that announcement got the loudest roar in the Arena the whole night. And during the fourth quarter a bunch of people started turning around and there was alot of fans cheering and going crazy. Me and the wife turn around and there is Joey Mormina and Jamie Johnson standing there. Then all of a sudden there is Trevor Gillies and Michael Leighton and Joe Jensen. There was a ton of us Rats fans at the game and that took our attention away form the football game as alot of the fans started to notice there were Rats players standing there and started to give them a standing ovation. All as the football game was going on.

Then all of a sudden there is Trevor Gillies and Michael Leighton and Joe Jensen. There was a ton of us Rats fans at the game and that took our attention away form the football game as alot of the fans started to notice there were Rats players standing there and started to give them a standing ovation. All as the football game was going on.

Great story. Just when I thought I couldnt have anymore "near" heart-attacks due to hockey! Listening to Thursday and Saturdays games are enough to give anyone an ulcer!

We've got to get our PP going if were going to win. Both goalies are playing to solid for a high scoring game imo. One stupid penalty may deciede the series.

:unsure:

And during the fourth quarter a bunch of people started turning around and there was alot of fans cheering and going crazy. Me and the wife turn around and there is Joey Mormina and Jamie Johnson standing there. Then all of a sudden there is Trevor Gillies and Michael Leighton and Joe Jensen. There was a ton of us Rats fans at the game and that took our attention away form the football game as alot of the fans started to notice there were Rats players standing there and started to give them a standing ovation. All as the football game was going on.

That is awesome!! And I am glad all the Rats fans showed their support for them :)

Next time you see Leights please tell him there are about 18,000 or so people counting on him down here in NC too...and if he could please sign quickly. That might actually work as a chant for the next Rats game...

or not. :lol:

Oh also I am for benching that bum Leighton also. How dare he make only 40 saves and get a shutout. We should run him out of town now :lol: Also thought I should mention me and the wife went to Albany's arena football game tonight the Albany Conquest. And during the first quarter there was a stop in play and the PA announcer say we have one more major announcement to make. He says this afternoon in the AHL the Albany River Rats defeated the Philadelphia Phantoms 1-0 in overtime. Now the Albany Conquest won the game but him making that announcement got the loudest roar in the Arena the whole night. And during the fourth quarter a bunch of people started turning around and there was alot of fans cheering and going crazy. Me and the wife turn around and there is Joey Mormina and Jamie Johnson standing there. Then all of a sudden there is Trevor Gillies and Michael Leighton and Joe Jensen. There was a ton of us Rats fans at the game and that took our attention away form the football game as alot of the fans started to notice there were Rats players standing there and started to give them a standing ovation. All as the football game was going on.

Awesome story. Sounds like you guys love your Rats. :D

If I can find a Rats jersey for sale, I'm totally going to buy one and put Leighton's name on the back.

Great story. Just when I thought I couldnt have anymore "near" heart-attacks due to hockey! Listening to Thursday and Saturdays games are enough to give anyone an ulcer!

We've got to get our PP going if were going to win. Both goalies are playing to solid for a high scoring game imo. One stupid penalty may deciede the series.

:unsure:

Oh with me I think I am way past heart attacks and having ulcers with this team.And yes we seriously need our PP to pick it up.

Albany needs to score if they want to win, Leighton has been outstanding so far and if he had any help from the offense they would have won the series already.
This is very true. If our offense has scored like they did in the regular season we may have sweept this series.Because to be quiet honest while Scott Munroe has been great at stoping pucks for the Phantoms he has not been that great in the series to be honest because he has left hugh rebound after hugh reboun.There are a few guys that were great in the regular season at scoring points that need to get it going in the playoffs that have not done much in the playoffs up to the point. Jamie Johnson and Jerome Samson come to mind.

That is awesome!! And I am glad all the Rats fans showed their support for them :)

Next time you see Leights please tell him there are about 18,000 or so people counting on him down here in NC too...and if he could please sign quickly. That might actually work as a chant for the next Rats game...

or not. :lol:

I sure will.

Awesome story. Sounds like you guys love your Rats. :D

If I can find a Rats jersey for sale, I'm totally going to buy one and put Leighton's name on the back.

Oh us real diehard fans do love this team so much. And we are all so despreat for them to do so well in the playoffs. We all want them to get to the next round so badly. And if you would like to buy a jersey you can go here

http://www.albanyriverrats.com/merchandise/''>http://www.albanyriverrats.com/merchandise/' target="_blank">http://www.albanyriverrats.com/merchandise/[/post]

Very very tuff for me to do this right now. Knowing this is the lasttime I will report on a game this season. Boys did not come out with the kind of intensity I thought they would and needed to win this game. Kind of killed us that we gave up a goal 22 seconds into the game. Leights was amazing in nets for us tonight in what I am sure is his last ever game in a River Rats uniform. That man deserved much much better than a first round exit from the playoffs. This man stood on his head all season long for this team. Alot of things killed us in this series. Our offense never really showed up in this series. With the loss of guys like Conboy and Nolan and Casey Borer that really killed us. And then guys like Jerome Samson who had the second most goals on the team this season and guys like Jamie Johnson and Kiel McLeod never really show up in the postseason for us. Going to be a very long off season for us that is for sure.

My heart is broken, again. I'm very proud of this team and it's guts and glory all season, especially when we depleted the bench at times. I'm so sorry for them especially. They deserved to go all the way.

Thank you Max for all you have done for this team as a fan advocate and being there for us with 1st line info. It has been well appreciated!

I wish the mods would pin and start a Canes Pride & Thanks for Rats thread for this/our team and send it to them with our expressions of pride and thanks for them. Please Mods consider this for them, they earned our respect all season!

Not a problem. I have loved doing for you guys. Just so so heartbreaking it had to end so soon. Just feel really super bad right now. Just thought this could maybe be our year. Just so heartbreaking.