The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
chumbawumba

Hello from a ducks fan

Thanks for the kind words.

When he's not nicked up, Bret Hedican can still provide quality defensive minutes for a team looking to shore up the back end of it's blue line sets. He's not the horse he was ten years ago, or even three years ago, but I think he's got a little left in the tank - IF he can stay healthy, which was the problem here the last two seasons. I think he can give you 12-15 minutes a night, and is a well-rounded D-man who can stay at home, and sometimes sneak up on a pinch or as the trailer on an odd man rush. You got a good locker room guy too, as well as one of the most beautiful skaters the game has ever seen.

Many of us here may not wish to recall game 82 from last season, but those of us who do remember Hedican racing down the ice in the final minute, as the fans were shrieking in horror, with 110% effort to save a sure empty netter which definitely would've done us in. (Ya know, as opposed to just running out of time.) It was a beautiful play late in a game that we of course lost, but it will probably be my lasting impression of Bret - fighting til the end when the outcome was so bleak.

For the bargain price, the Ducks have picked up a good community guy, locker room leadership, and -- when healthy -- still a very capable d-man. I think it was last season there was a play when Brett chased down Ovechkin from a pretty good distance behind and broke up his clean breakaway. The guy still can skate!

Welcome aboard, samsonover! Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Even though my main teams are the 'Canes and the Sens, I'm also a Ducks fan (I live eight miles northeast of Honda Center) by default of geography. Bret'll work just fine with these scoring-starved Ducks, and his team-first nature will be a great fit. It'd be hard to imagine him not getting along swimmingly with Teemu Selanne, one of the most personable and outgoing NHL players on the planet. ;)

Jan/GSBG

Hedican is a team guy first and foremost. He loved it here in Raleigh, and didnt leave on bad terms although it was surprising when he decided not to resign. Everything I've heard is that his move out to the west coast was to support his wifes career and his children.. Sounds like a classy guy to me. He will be missed here in Carolina and I think he should still have a few more years in him before he hangs it up. I can't imagine he wouldnt fit in since he seems to like everyone and really has the desire to still play. He will be a good veteran presence in the locker room.

Bret was interviewed at the end of the first period by Brian Hayward, the Ducks' TV color guy, during last night's Ducks-Sens game. In essence, Mr. Kristi mentioned that he opted for Anaheim because of its recent run of success, as well as its defensive prowess. When "Hazy" (Hayward's nickname) brought up his skill as a skater and a team-first guy, making him a terrific fit for the team, Bret was his usual classy self, handling the acclaim with calm poise.

And, yes, he'll likely have his first start in Columbus next week.

Jan/GSBG

Hey guys glad to be part of such a classy hockey organizations message board. Although I am a ducks fan I have tremendous respect for your hockey club and wish you guys the best of luck this season. I was cheering for you guys in the final and best of all, I am an oiler hater :) . Anyway I was just wondering what your opinions of bret hedican is. As you probably know, he singned with the ducks for I think 875,000. Is he worth it? I thought I would ask you guys because I beilive he played for you for a while. Thanx for your help.

The main factor to Hedi's ability to contribute is his health. If he gets another concussion, he may have to hang it up. He is a very classy player, and as you probably already know, a great skater even in these later years of his. He will have his momentary lapses in front of your own net, but he does display flashes of defensive brilliance and is usually very consistent and dependable. He will not be scoring goals for you guys and he rarely got PP minutes here in Carolina (if memory serves), but at $800k he is a GREAT bargain. He went into last season with the attitude to enjoy every minute he can because he doesn't know when it'll be over for him, so he should act as a steadying force.

... He went into last season with the attitude to enjoy every minute he can because he doesn't know when it'll be over for him, so he should act as a steadying force.

Bret'll be totally in his element on the Ducks, a team loaded with seasoned vets who know how to get the job done: Teemu Selanne (38), captain Scott Niedermayer (35), Rob Niedermayer (34 in December), Todd Marchant (35), Brad May (37 next month), Brendan Morrison (33), Jean-Sebastien Giguere (31), and Sami Pahlsson (31). Young stars Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry, both 23, approach each practice and game with the leadership, confidence, and drive of players 10 to 15 years their senior; it's worth noting that on this veteran-heavy club, Getzy wears an "A" on his sweater.

Note: Bret, who wears #3 for Anaheim, will likely be in the lineup tonight against the Blue Jackets, a game that won't be televised in SoCal.

Jan/GSBG

I'm glad you got him so cheap. He'll be hurt with a hip injury soon.

If he does, CC, the Ducks have more than enough depth and skating skills (hello, Teemu) to compensate for his stint in the IR. IMHO, the move was a win-win scenario for both Bret and the Quackers of SoCal.

Jan/GSBG

Is it not strange to any of you that the thread starter seems uninterested in the answers the his/her question?

Is it not strange to any of you that the thread starter seems uninterested in the answers the his/her question?

Not me. I'm known for not replying to emails, and the thread starter might be the same when it comes to responding to message-board comments. Also, all of us answered his/her question thoroughly, so much so that he/she didn't feel any need to comment. That's just my take.

Jan/GSBG

Not me. I'm known for not replying to emails, and the thread starter might be the same when it comes to responding to message-board comments. Also, all of us answered his/her question thoroughly, so much so that he/she didn't feel any need to comment. That's just my take.

Jan/GSBG

The difference here, is this "Samsonover" character has plenty enough time to start a list of threads posing peculiar questions that aren't even relevant to the real world, such as Carolina trading Staal among other threads, but at the same time, does not take the time to even acknowledge the dozen people who rush to answer their question about Hedican. It's fishy behavior we've seen before and 9 times out of 10 it indicates a troll looking to cause strife. That's without even mentioning the curious name which could be taken as an insult.

The difference here, is this "Samsonover" character has plenty enough time to start a list of threads posing peculiar questions that aren't even relevant to the real world, such as Carolina trading Staal among other threads, but at the same time, does not take the time to even acknowledge the dozen people who rush to answer their question about Hedican.

That's an interesting point, hctimo, about his/her not choosing to acknowledge the thread's respondents. (Yes, I make a point of replying to individuals; as you know; I always boldface the member's name in the course of a comment. ;) )

By the way, I saw Bret in last night's Ducks-Wings tilt on TV. His skating's still as silky as ever, and his defensive presence around the Ducks' net will take a load of pressure off The Jigger and Hiller.

Jan/GSBG