The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
fallen_apostle

Bobby Hughes and others

So I'm going thru our players "In the system", and I come across this guy who scored 96 points in the OHL two years ago, Bobby Hughes. I was wondering what you know about this guy, Max, since he plays with Albany now? Whether he's any good or not? Also, who would you say is the best player down there in Albany, someone that could contribute in the NHL? I've just started thinking about our prospects and stuff, and really would like to know more about the players and everything. It seems like Carolina has some good depth in their system, but really I don't know lol. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide, Max (or anybody else).

:)

Well like JustJoe last I heard it still was not clear on what was going on with Bobby Hughes and his injury. Last I heard he did not know if he could ever play again or not. He sure wants to. When he first got hurt the team sent him home to see doctors so he could get better. And he was seeing a few doctors last I heard. I think Bobby is a decent player and I hope and pray he is ok and he can return next season. This past season for Bobby he started off really slow which is excepted for a rookie. The sad part was when he got hurt he was really starting to come into his own. He was becoming one of our better players when he got hurt. He was starting to find the back of the net more and more and his game all around just looked so much better than it did at the begning of the year. With the way he was playing at that time it was tuough to lose him. As far as our best players go most of our best players down here are guys that saw time with the Canes this past season. But by far our best player down here this past season was Michael Leighton. If not for him we were no were near as good as we were this season. He carried this team this season. In my own oppion he will contribute well next season bucause most things I am hearing he will be the backup goalie next season. And I think he deserves it because he worked his butt off down here in Albany this season. Our best forwards down here this season I would have to say were Brandon Nolan and Jamie Johnson. But Jamie Johnson was only on an AHL contract with us this past season and from all things I heard is heading to Europe next season.Really going to be sad to see Jamie go. Our best D-men down here this season were Casey Borer, Time Conboy, Joey Mormina and Brett Carson. All three could contribute in the NHL next season. Well may want to start Casey back in the AHL next season because he did suffer a bad leg injury down here at the end of this season.

Well like JustJoe last I heard it still was not clear on what was going on with Bobby Hughes and his injury. Last I heard he did not know if he could ever play again or not. He sure wants to. When he first got hurt the team sent him home to see doctors so he could get better. And he was seeing a few doctors last I heard. I think Bobby is a decent player and I hope and pray he is ok and he can return next season. This past season for Bobby he started off really slow which is excepted for a rookie. The sad part was when he got hurt he was really starting to come into his own. He was becoming one of our better players when he got hurt. He was starting to find the back of the net more and more and his game all around just looked so much better than it did at the begning of the year. With the way he was playing at that time it was tuough to lose him. As far as our best players go most of our best players down here are guys that saw time with the Canes this past season. But by far our best player down here this past season was Michael Leighton. If not for him we were no were near as good as we were this season. He carried this team this season. In my own oppion he will contribute well next season bucause most things I am hearing he will be the backup goalie next season. And I think he deserves it because he worked his butt off down here in Albany this season. Our best forwards down here this season I would have to say were Brandon Nolan and Jamie Johnson. But Jamie Johnson was only on an AHL contract with us this past season and from all things I heard is heading to Europe next season.Really going to be sad to see Jamie go. Our best D-men down here this season were Casey Borer, Time Conboy, Joey Mormina and Brett Carson. All three could contribute in the NHL next season. Well may want to start Casey back in the AHL next season because he did suffer a bad leg injury down here at the end of this season.

Ahhh see I didn't know about the Hughes injury. I hope he does recover and can reach his hockey potential down there in Albany. I think he would be a big loss for our prospect depth if in fact he couldn't return to normal playing. I agree with you Max on the other players who could contribute to the NHL at somepoint...although it's a shame to hear about Johnson possibly going to Europe instead of staying with Albany. I look forward to seeing Leighton get his chance up here as a backup next season...maybe this guy has really turned a corner in his career. I guess we'll see soon enough. It sounds like though that the Rats should be a good team again next year, although they'll need to find another goalie to replace Leighton I guess. Any idea on who that'll be?

Thanks for all the info though Max, really great to have someone like you on this board. Albany (along with the rest of our prospect system) is an important part of our franchises success, so I want to stay on top of things happening up there and everywhere else with our minor teams.

Ahhh see I didn't know about the Hughes injury. I hope he does recover and can reach his hockey potential down there in Albany. I think he would be a big loss for our prospect depth if in fact he couldn't return to normal playing. I agree with you Max on the other players who could contribute to the NHL at somepoint...although it's a shame to hear about Johnson possibly going to Europe instead of staying with Albany. I look forward to seeing Leighton get his chance up here as a backup next season...maybe this guy has really turned a corner in his career. I guess we'll see soon enough. It sounds like though that the Rats should be a good team again next year, although they'll need to find another goalie to replace Leighton I guess. Any idea on who that'll be?

Thanks for all the info though Max, really great to have someone like you on this board. Albany (along with the rest of our prospect system) is an important part of our franchises success, so I want to stay on top of things happening up there and everywhere else with our minor teams.

I have posted about Hughes ever since he got hurt. Every artical about him has been posted. That was one thing I forgot to mention also about him after he was sent home to see doctors he did come back to Albany because he said he wanted to be around the team and show the guys he was supporting them. He really is a team guy. I really hope he does not have to retire. Also just found a link and Jamie Johnson has signed in Finland here is the link

http://hc.tps.fi/index.html?n=12818''>http://hc.tps.fi/index.html?n=12818' target="_blank">http://hc.tps.fi/index.html?n=12818[/post] tought loss really think the Canes should have signed him to a NHL contract. As for who we will have as a goalie next season every goalie in the Canes system is a free agent this offseason except Ward and Peters. Tom Rowe did say in our papers a few weeks ago that the plan as of right this second was to have Peters play atleast 40 games next season here. But he did also say he would not rule out the Canes signing another veteran goalie to be the starter here in Albany again next season. I know there are a few veteran AHL goalies are free agents this offseason. And look what Leighton did here in Albany this season. When the Canes first signed him last offseaason he was bascially just a signing for a veteran goalie to play here in Albany. And he had the best season of any River Rats goalie in our team history.

I have posted about Hughes ever since he got hurt. Every artical about him has been posted. That was one thing I forgot to mention also about him after he was sent home to see doctors he did come back to Albany because he said he wanted to be around the team and show the guys he was supporting them. He really is a team guy. I really hope he does not have to retire. Also just found a link and Jamie Johnson has signed in Finland here is the link

http://hc.tps.fi/index.html?n=12818''>http://hc.tps.fi/index.html?n=12818' target="_blank">http://hc.tps.fi/index.html?n=12818[/post] tought loss really think the Canes should have signed him to a NHL contract. As for who we will have as a goalie next season every goalie in the Canes system is a free agent this offseason except Ward and Peters. Tom Rowe did say in our papers a few weeks ago that the plan as of right this second was to have Peters play atleast 40 games next season here. But he did also say he would not rule out the Canes signing another veteran goalie to be the starter here in Albany again next season. I know there are a few veteran AHL goalies are free agents this offseason. And look what Leighton did here in Albany this season. When the Canes first signed him last offseaason he was bascially just a signing for a veteran goalie to play here in Albany. And he had the best season of any River Rats goalie in our team history.

Well I guess I've just been ignorant then lol. And I hope we do get a goalie for the team up in Albany...I think that if things go right the team could be good again.

Well I guess I've just been ignorant then lol. And I hope we do get a goalie for the team up in Albany...I think that if things go right the team could be good again.
No you just missed it that is all :lol: . Yeah I hope we get another veteran goalie also. I mean do not get me wrong I like Justin Peters and I think he is a decent goalie but I would not feel that confident with Justin Peter as our starter at this point. I will admit I think he was a better goalie this past season than he was in his first years but I still would not fell that confident with him being the starter right now. I really hope we can have another great team next season as we did this past season. I mean if you really look at the team we should have had this past season we should have been one of the most dangerous teams in the AHL this year. But with all the injurys to the Canes this past season and then all the injurys we had this past season it was even a miracle we had as good a season as we did. If we even have half the team next year we did this past season and both the Canes and Rats can both stay healthy this comming season I think we will be allright.