The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Canadien's Kostopoulos suspended 3 games

The injured player sits out at least a month while the player who committed the infraction gets 3 games? How is that fair? Any dirty hit that results in injury should result in suspension as long as the injured player sits out.

And whats with the nhl brass stating it wasn't a head shot he only hit his head because of the hit from behind. So what? Who cares what causes the head injury. It was caused by an opposing player and that is all that should matter.

"While it is my determination that Kostopoulos did not deliver a check to an unsuspecting opponent, his actions caused injuries," said NHL Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell.

yeah and that was obviously the case for the suspensions to the guys that hit Sutter, Cullen, and Letwoski? wait there were no suspensions, just lingering cuncussions..

The injured player sits out at least a month while the player who committed the infraction gets 3 games? How is that fair? Any dirty hit that results in injury should result in suspension as long as the injured player sits out.

And whats with the nhl brass stating it wasn't a head shot he only hit his head because of the hit from behind. So what? Who cares what causes the head injury. It was caused by an opposing player and that is all that should matter.

Kosto deserved to be suspended but let's not get carried away here. Van Ryan changed direction at the last minute. We both know that if he had continued skating in the direction towards the net it would have been a routine check.

Let's not forget Hollweg's hit on 18 year old Alex Pietrangelo. A hit the Leaf management claimed Pietrangelo should have been better prepared for. Now that the shoes is unfortunately on the other foot, Leaf fans want vengeance?

Colin Campbell proves once again that he is a total joke, the NHL is ran by such incompetent people who have been there since the 80's. It's time to clean house and bring the NHL to the 21st Century, follow the NFL's lead NHL

And I never said it should have been less. That too as a horrible hit and deserved more.

more in what manner?....what we're really calling into question is a player's ability to read the direction of his opponent. Checking from behind suspensions are difficult for the league to assess because they almost always require the victim to first turn his back to the play on some level.

Bob McKenzie was talking about this on the FAN today and he said it was a tough call to make because you never want to put any onus on the guy who got hurt, but it's hard not to on some level.

I saw the hit..I thought he'd get 6 games, it was pretty vicious, could've been a more serious injury.

But i'm not shocked, NHL and suspensions, they have no problem suspending enforcers like 8+ games, but other than that they are pretty scared usually to hit down on anyone hard unless its like a Bertuzzi situation in which its criminal like.

The Petrangelo hit doesnt look that bad actually.. it was well away from the boards, which in this case was more of a factor to causing injury then being close to the boards.. a close board hit the boards would absorb it... obviously being from behind caused him to fall face first into the boards, which is the problem.. it puts guys heads in danger. Its a little bit different then the Erik Cole hit where he was bent down somewhat, but right up against the glass and his neck got bent... that wasnt an "impact" type hit that would lead to a concussion, unfortunately the end result of the broken neck was even worse.

What jumps out to me which of course has jumped out to everyone else on here, is the whole line about not being unsuspecting, but causing injury...

So you have a player like Sutter, who IS unsuspecting and vunerable, and gets hurt and the response is a laugh and a "keep your head up next time newbie"....

Now I understand JRs comments about the league.. its all lip service.. they say one thing, do something totally different... they decide to handle the same situation 2 or 3 different ways...

I wonder how much of this has to do with the loud yelling and screaming from toronto right in the NHLs backyard.. while the screams from Raleigh sound like whispers from up there...

So you have a player like Sutter, who IS unsuspecting and vunerable, and gets hurt and the response is a laugh and a "keep your head up next time newbie"....

Watch it again...Sutter looked up briefly before he attempted to play that puck and saw Weight coming. He either figured he could beat him to it or Weight would play the puck and not go for the hit. He figured wrong. I know that's not the point here so.... I also think a 3 game suspension and a $32,000 "fine" (lost wages) in Kostopolous' case is appropriate. Furthermore, for the guys saying we need to take the NFL's stance on hits? Get real! You practically can't hit anyone anymore in the NFL (especially the QBs)! We don't want that coming to our game.

Watch it again...Sutter looked up briefly before he attempted to play that puck and saw Weight coming. He either figured he could beat him to it or Weight would play the puck and not go for the hit. He figured wrong.

I agree, Sutter would not have made the poke checking action right before the hit if he didnt know Weight was coming. He would have just kept skating and it would have been a big time clean should to shoulder check.

Okay, so Erik Cole gets his neck broken and Orpik gets 2 games. Van Ryn gets a concussion, broken nose and broken hand. No offense, Cole was injured more severly and missed more time, yet Orpik gets a lighter sentence because he wasn't a repeat offender. I don't understand.

K

Okay, so Erik Cole gets his neck broken and Orpik gets 2 games. Van Ryn gets a concussion, broken nose and broken hand. No offense, Cole was injured more severly and missed more time, yet Orpik gets a lighter sentence because he wasn't a repeat offender. I don't understand.

K

Wish i had an excuse but fact is, Colin Campbell and company just aren't very consistent in how they rule suspensions and don't think about precedence they set. If they could go back in time that Orpik suspension would be longer, trust me.

I was watching the game and it seemed as the hit was worthy of suspension. Perhaps a fair suspension would be the guilty party must sit out until the injured player returns to the ice.

The Petrangelo hit doesnt look that bad actually.. it was well away from the boards, which in this case was more of a factor to causing injury then being close to the boards.. a close board hit the boards would absorb it... obviously being from behind caused him to fall face first into the boards, which is the problem.. it puts guys heads in danger. Its a little bit different then the Erik Cole hit where he was bent down somewhat, but right up against the glass and his neck got bent... that wasnt an "impact" type hit that would lead to a concussion, unfortunately the end result of the broken neck was even worse.

Hitting from behind is not determined by the distance form the boards, nor is it determined by the severity of the inflicted injury. A hitting form behind is when the player makes contact with his opponent in the back (can happen anywhere on the ice). What determines whether it warrants a lengthy suspension is whether or not the check was committed before or after the opposing player turns his back. The NHL ruled that Kostopolous committed is check before can Ryan had turned his back.

Bob McKenzie explained it quite nicely on TSN. He said the recent increase in hitting from behind hits, is a by product of the new NHL rules. Before obstruction was ruled a penalty, most battles in the corners would result in obstruction plays and less heavy hitting. Now that obstruction is a penalty players have no other option but to race to the corner for the puck and the loser lays a hit.

K

I understand the Cole/Orpik incident is a touchy subject here but the length of suspensions are not determined by the severity of the victim's injury. There really is no strong correlation between injuries and intent to injure hits. Otherwise we'd be giving guys like Orpik 20 game suspension for finishing what normally would have been a legal check, while guys like Simon get 3 games for intending to injure when he stomps his skate into another players leg.

I kind of feel that maybe he sould have gotten atleast five games. With players getting hurt and stuff latley has to stop. Never want to see someone getting hurt.

Colin Campbell proves once again that he is a total joke, the NHL is ran by such incompetent people who have been there since the 80's. It's time to clean house and bring the NHL to the 21st Century, follow the NFL's lead NHL

</thread>