The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
max

Hurricanes Sign Goaltender Daniel Manzato

Also from Luke, they plan to have him and Peters and drop Nastiuk.

Manzato signs new deal

ECHL All-Star Daniel Manzato, who spent most of the season on loan to the ECHL runner-up Las Vegas Wranglers, re-signed with the Canes for another year Friday.

Manzato, 24, will make $522,500 at the NHL level and $75,000 in the minors. He will be part of a three-way battle for playing time in Albany (AHL) with Justin Peters and Kevin Nastiuk.

UPDATE, 1:04 p.m.: Manzato and Peters are expected to be the tandem in Albany, assuming Michael Leighton is in Raleigh. The Canes don't plan to offer Nastiuk a contract, general manager Jim Rutherford said.

I still kind of hope the Canes sign another vet to be in goal here next season. I like Peters and Manzato but I would fell more comftorable with a vet. Peters this past season did lookd better than he did 2 season ago but still think he needs to improve. And I will give Manzato some slack because he did only play one game for us this past season but in that one game he looked horrible. I would feel better having a vet here with one of those two being the backup.

I posted a couple times in other threads suggesting we should sign another goalie for our 3rd string goalie to have in albany. I guess JR is confident in the tandem.

Yeah but then again all last summer that was all we heard in Albany last summer also is that Manzato and Peter would be the goalies here in Albany this past season. And then all of a sudden out of no where they traded for Leighton. I mean I do not mind Peters and Manzato being the goalies here if both of them continue to improve but as of right now I would just fell more comftorable having another vet to play here again next season.

They'll eventually have to step up and prove they can handle the workload of a #1 goaltender. If you continue to sign older players to take away their starts, we'll never find out exactly what we have in either prospect. Personally, I hope Manzato and Peters is the tandem for Albany next season.

I think you are both right. It would be nice to have a vet around like said before so if something happens up top you have that guy to get up there. But I agree with you also JustJoe both Manzato and Peters do need to play more to develop better. But on the other hand also it would not hurt having a vet around either to help them out also. I know Leighton did wonders helping Peters out this past season. Not so much with Manzato because Manzato was not here that long with Leights. I will admit thow like I said before Peters did look much better this past season then he did the season before.