The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
IceFrog999

Melrose fired

Should have seen the GM during the intermission of our game. He spoke for nearly 5 minutes and never once made eye contact with the camera talk about a guy whose fulla junk.

I really thought Rick Tocchet was supposed to be serving jail time or did he weasel his way outta that? Must be considering coaching the Lightning community service time ;)

Kinda sad that most people on here laughed when the Lightning hired him, and well turns out we were right, but i should really laugh at the Lightning upper management. it was so bad Feaster had to leave to save face, he was the only smart one so far.

But as an encore they hire Tocchet after what happened? Geez

I really thought Rick Tocchet was supposed to be serving jail time or did he weasel his way outta that? Must be considering coaching the Lightning community service time ;)

:lol::lol:

I ended up googling Tocchet since I wasn't familiar with his past and it seems that in exchange for his guilty plea, he was given two years probation.

I also found another interesting snippet about him that I didn't know...

During the 1994 season, Tocchet was part of a unique marketing promotion. Originally, the team offered a free slice of pizza to every fan in attendance, at home, if Tocchet scored in the third period. To management's chagrin he began scoring with such consistency that they were forced to change the promotion, instead giving out free slices of pizza if he failed to score in the third period. Unfortunately for fans, from that point on (less than halfway through the season) he scored in every third period for the rest of the season - not one slice of pizza was given out.

This just doesnt make much sense to me... If your gonna pay Melrose for the three years anyway, why not let him stick around and see what he can do, then can him if its no good. I think they have pulled the trigger way too early on this, regardless of Melrose's apparent lack of talent as a coach. How in the world can they evaluate him in 16 games, especially going 5-7-4, which while not great, is a heck of a lot better then 0-16-0. 14 points in 16 games is somewhat respectable. These huge wholesale changes obviously havent worked out for the lightning, but i'm not sure Barry deserved to get the ax for it. I have to agree with a comment I read on Yahoo, what did they expect after signing free agent 4th liners like Vrbata (love the guy, but never really produced for us, did pretty good in Pheonix), Mark Recchi (like him too, but St Louis jerked him around and kinda killed it for him), and the ancient Gary Roberts? Recchi has done well with 12 points, sandwiched between St Louis and Lecaviler, but Vrbata, Roberts and Malone all only have 3 points, and Stamkos the golden goose only has 4. The team as a whole is a -18, Stamkos is a -8 (sound familar Brindamour haters?)... I know its easy to blame the coach, but it seems like the team is just struggling regardless of what he's drawing on the chalkboard.

This new ownership seems damn determined to ruin this franchise... keep it up guys!