The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
max

Petruzalek Helps River Rats Rally Past Sound Tigers

http://www.albanyriverrats.com/news/?id=14973

ALBANY, NY - Jakub Petruzalek recorded a four-point game, while Yannick Tifu and Nicolas Blanchard each scored two goals to lead the Albany River Rats to a 5-3 win over the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in preseason action Wednesday night at the Times Union Center.

Albany came out strong in the first period, out-shooting Bridgeport 9-0 over the first eight minutes of the game. However, one shot was all the Sound Tigers needed to take a 1-0 lead. River Rats goaltender David Leggio was helpless as Mike Walsh found an unmarked James Sixsmith at the far-post for an easy put away at 8:29. The visitors doubled their lead at 12:48 on a Jon Gleed goal, assisted by Andy Sertich and Jason. Pitton. Bridgeport goaltender Nathan Lawson helped the Tigers carry their two-goal lead into the first intermission by turning away an onslaught of shots late in the period during a River Rats power play. Over the first twenty minutes Albany out-shot the Sound Tigers 18-6, yet found themselves trailing by two goals.

The second period found the Rats killing several penalties, including a five-on-three situation within the first five minutes of the frame, but Albany survived them all with some stout defending. The River Rats wasted little time on their next power play opportunity as Matt Murley setup Nicolas Blanchard at the top of the crease who for a quick snap-shot that buzzed past the goaltender and into the top shelf of the net at 9:54, just seven seconds into the power play. At the other end of the ice Leggio helped to maintain Albany

HOCKEY IN ALBANY!! lol

My Take:

that was a pretty good game in my opinion. first period was definitely sloppy, but we came back strong in the second and third period. Tifu obviously looked good (i think it was the first period but #24 on Bridgeport was cheap and pushed him into the open door but that didn't startle him at all) and once Leggio warmed up he had some excellent stops. the game had ALOT of penalties, every time i looked at the jumbotron either us or them had power plays. overall, awesome game but I'm biased cause i missed hockey too much that any game would appear awesome to me. smile.gif

HOCKEY IN ALBANY!! lol

My Take:

that was a pretty good game in my opinion. first period was definitely sloppy, but we came back strong in the second and third period. Tifu obviously looked good (i think it was the first period but #24 on Bridgeport was cheap and pushed him into the open door but that didn't startle him at all) and once Leggio warmed up he had some excellent stops. the game had ALOT of penalties, every time i looked at the jumbotron either us or them had power plays. overall, awesome game but I'm biased cause i missed hockey too much that any game would appear awesome to me. smile.gif

24 for Bridgeport was Joel Rechelicz.

Yeah I noticed that. I can not wait till the opening night when we play them. Hopefully we get to see him and Gillies go at it. Love to see the two good friends go at it.

Yeah I noticed that. I can not wait till the opening night when we play them. Hopefully we get to see him and Gillies go at it. Love to see the two good friends go at it.

Angelidis was looking for a fight last night. Opening Night is going to be brutal. Bridgeport is definitely going to come back with revenge. I still find it funny that they made their goalie change in the second and of course the cold goalie gave up a goal on the first shot. =]

Angelidis was looking for a fight last night. Opening Night is going to be brutal. Bridgeport is definitely going to come back with revenge. I still find it funny that they made their goalie change in the second and of course the cold goalie gave up a goal on the first shot. =]
Yeah I know Angelidis was looking for a fight. Most teams make goalie changes during periods like that during pre-season games. To be honest I was surprised Leggio played two full periods for us. I thought for sure we were going to change goalies half way threw the second like they did.