The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CaniacInCary

Cole season long thread

Will you be doing this for all 82 games, each period and regardless of whether or not he does anything newsworthy?

Isnt that what the out of town scores are for? He's gone.....it'll be ok.

Can the same be done with Ladd as well? Or how about Grahame?

I understand the sentiments behind it, but the quicker we realize Cole is gone, the quicker Pitkanen stops being "That guy we traded Cole for"

It does seem a little over kill to follow Cole's every move all season long. If you guys really want a thread like this, how about an "Ex-Canes updates" or a "where are they now?" thread in this forum?

This way, any ex-player that does something "newsworthy" can be followed here.

Thoughts?

Cole was one of the most popular players ever to be traded by this franchise.. and he becomes a free agent after this season, barring any contract extension by the Oilers.. so for this season, and based on the appreciation shown to him over the years by the fans, I figure there is an interest in what he does.

If someone is not interested, or prefers to look at more general threads, by all means ignore this one. I promise I will not give period by period updates. My opinion, it's a topic worth having.

It does seem a little over kill to follow Cole's every move all season long. If you guys really want a thread like this, how about an "Ex-Canes updates" or a "where are they now?" thread in this forum?

This way, any ex-player that does something "newsworthy" can be followed here.

Thoughts?

I agree - I would like to see a thread like that vs an individual player thread.

But on the Cole topic ;) he is also doing an XM segment (like Tim Gleason's). Erik will be on Channel 204, Hockey This Morning every Monday morning, schedule permitting.

Thanks caniacincary for starting this thread. I watched the game as well. I'll follow Cole all season and will continue to do so every season no matter where he ends up. I'm sure this thread will be closed but I understand the reasoning behind why this was started. He made a great hussle along the boards as well. I cheered for him when the Colorado player tried taking him down and Cole said I ain't having none of that and when he attacked the guy his helmet came off. Cole seems to have some backbone this season and I'm loving it.

I will add that I'm quickly becoming a big fan of Pitkanen. I love his style of play and I'm glad we have him on defense. The guy is all over the place and makes things happen on the ice.

Cole was one of the most popular players ever to be traded by this franchise.. and he becomes a free agent after this season, barring any contract extension by the Oilers.. so for this season, and based on the appreciation shown to him over the years by the fans, I figure there is an interest in what he does.

If someone is not interested, or prefers to look at more general threads, by all means ignore this one. I promise I will not give period by period updates. My opinion, it's a topic worth having.

Im sure everyone agrees how popular Cole was here and Im sure most are interested in how his season goes, maybe 82 games worth might be a little much. This board covers free agency quite extensively and if the Oilers were to extend Cole before then, I can guarantee it will have its own thread.

No one is discrediting your intentions or your loyalty to Cole, I just thought having one thread to cover all ex-players would be more interesting to more people here.

Oh Please Froggy! Can we have "Crackers from Russia" updates!!

Don't speak Russian, but from what I can gather:

11 games played:

29 goals allowed, for a 2.62 GAA

7 wins, 4 losses

(and here's where it gets a little hazy)

1 shutout, I believe

2 assists

2 PIM

Those last three are pure guesses. Three columns, with a 2-1-2 in them. Took a shot.

Don't speak Russian, but from what I can gather:

11 games played:

29 goals allowed, for a 2.62 GAA

7 wins, 4 losses

(and here's where it gets a little hazy)

1 shutout, I believe

2 assists

2 PIM

Those last three are pure guesses. Three columns, with a 2-1-2 in them. Took a shot.

If the stats hold at hockeybd.com, the 1 is an assist and the 2's are penalty minutes and shutouts. Plus he's got a save percentage of 0.915. Though they have 2 less games on their stat sheet so I suspect the save %'s changed.

You could always change this to the "Ex-Canes thread", and then it would be on topic ;)

I could, but that wouldnt be very fair to the original poster would it?

To get a bit back on topic, I think that it might make sense for there to be some kind of former players thread, but I think it would at least this season mainly be a discussion of Cole for obvious reasons.

Erik picks up his first point of the season as he assists on the eventual game-winner last night. Oilers won 3-2 on a PPG in the 3rd. As another thread mentioned, there was a feature on Erik during the game and it is on Youtube.

I could, but that wouldnt be very fair to the original poster would it?

but you change my topics all the time ;):P

Now to get on topic, I watched the game last night. Not much chemistry with Cole and his mates (Hemsky/Horcoff). Hopefully they'll get it soon, but after Nov. 1st of course.

You could always change this to the "Ex-Canes thread", and then it would be on topic ;)

I like this idea. I need someone to help me on my russian. I am serious not a joke.

I'm so sick of hearing about how bad people miss Erik Cole. I'm sure there is a thread about this, but I just needed a place to vent this out, so here we go.

Clearly in the offseason, this team needed a defensemen. Coming into the year, we only had Corvo, Gleason, Kaberle, Wallin and Sidenberg on the roster of NHL capable defensemen. Sure guys like Borer or Conboy are good players and could play in the NHL, but that wasn't the issue, it was an issue of depth. Tanabe was also in this mix but it appeared his career was over.

This team also had an abundance of forwards. Had no trade been made and no injuries occured, you have players like Bayda, Brookbank, and Boychuk not even making the team (maybe Bayda as a scratch) and a guy like LaCoture doesn't come to camp. Sure right now the issue is depth at forward but we had no way of knowing of all these injuries.

So at the time of the trade, I thin we can all agree that the move of a defensemen for a forward made sense.

Now lets look at the forwards we can trade. On the roster at the time, you have :

Eric Staal

Ray Whitney

Justin Williams

Rod Brind'amour

Tuomo Ruutu

Patrick Eaves

Sergei Samsonov

Matt Cullen

Scott Walker

Ryan Bayda

Brandon Sutter

Chad LaRose

Zach Boychuk

Wade Brookbank

And of course.....Erik Cole

Immediatly, you eliminate Staal, Brind'amour, Williams, and Whitney from the list b/c of leadership / faces of the franchise.

Now you want a quality defensemen, so you can't trade the bottom players b/c you won't get anything for that player. So Bayda Brookbank and LaRose are off.

Now to me this left 8 tradeable players - Ruutu, Eaves, Boychuk and Sutter are so young and you don't want to give up young talent especially these 4 b/c 2 of them have proved their talents and the other 2 haven't had the opportunity.

So now just 4 guys left - Cullen, Walker, Cole and Samsonov.

We all saw the effects of what this team was without Matt Cullen. Also we are very thin at center, so you don't want to give him up b/c of that.

If they didn't need Samsonov they wouldn't have resigned him. So he's off the list.

Now its just Cole and Walker. Who are going to get a better deal for? Walker or Cole. Clearly the answer is Cole. To me, it was so obvious all off-season that we were trading Cole for a Defenseman.

Other reasons why it made sense :

1. Cole randomly acted like he wasn't in the game. He didn't really skate that hard unless he had an important role. The best hockey he played in Carolina was at the end of this past season b/c he was killing penalities and on the PP unit - he felt like he was important and needed (this was straight from a conversation I had about the trade with Luke DeCock, btw).

2. He is ONE hit away from his career being over. I always felt, especially when he hurt his neck again last year, that he was a liability to have on the team. Its a shame his career was changed by a cheap shot, but nothing you can do about it. Erik Cole clearly was a different player after his neck being broken.

3. He is still young enough, fast enough, and talented enough to get a great player for him.

Part 3 was proven as we brought in Pitkanen. This guy has been awesome this year and I think we can see a big difference on the offensive end with Pitkanen. I think all the upsides of Pitkanen in Laviolettes system are so huge and more than outweigh the ones with Cole.

I'm in no way bashing Cole. I thought he was a great player and hated to see him go. However, it was so painfully obvious this was what needed to happen and I can't believe of all the people I see today STILL talking about how they miss him and even that lady who didn't get season tickets again b/c they traded Cole. Seriously?

This was a great trade and I honestly know in 5 years when Cole is probably out of the league and Pitkanen and Gleason are the anchors of our blue line we will look back and laugh when we were mad that Cole was traded for Pitkanen. JR has made a career of making amazing trades (Justin Williams for Danny Markov - are you serious?) and this one WILL pan out in our favor.

Let me Guess...You have nothing better to do with your time. I think if you read through all the threads you'll see that most people by now are aware of the fact that the trade made sense. Does anyone like it? NO! I'm one of them. BUT, I'm glad we have Pitkanen and he is quickly becoming my favorite player by far. That being said, I think this post would have made more sense a couple of months ago.