The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CaniacInCary

Cole season long thread

That being said, I think this post would have made more sense a couple of months ago.

People are STILL complaining about it (I was reading some thread just before I typed it up and saw someone talking about how they missed Cole and I was just like are you serious). Also, a few months ago you didn't have the evidence of what Pitkanen brings to the table.

We all miss Cole but the reality is he was a UFA and is majorly damaged goods even before his neck he had broke his leg, that trade made sense then and even more so now 5 games in.

Besides 80% of the folks who miss Cole miss him because he was cute and rocked thier world.

um wow, grow up much?

if it was eric staal who was traded I would be the same way about missing him.

So let them have their time, and get over it.

and look at your profile decked in Staal stuff.... your exactly what I am talking about.

Now I said 80% would be upset, you get defensive. Why? because you put yourself in the 80% because you are in the 80%

However theres posters like CLF whose changed their name and I dunno what it is who wont join in it....because.......they liked Cole for more then that and understands why he had to go.

shouldn't this whole thread be moved to around the nhl?

Cant already got a look at what Cole did today thread over there :rolleyes:

Let me Guess...You have nothing better to do with your time. I think if you read through all the threads you'll see that most people by now are aware of the fact that the trade made sense. Does anyone like it? NO! I'm one of them. BUT, I'm glad we have Pitkanen and he is quickly becoming my favorite player by far. That being said, I think this post would have made more sense a couple of months ago.

I'm guessing you didn't listen to the after hours interview with Cole. He pretty much said he didn't like playing in Carolina. So I don't think he is missing you as much as your missing him. He didn't have very nice things to say about how we don't fill up the building on weeknights. As far as I'm concerned he is no longer a former hurricane player I support. He is just the same baby he was when he didn't get the minutes he thought he deserved or the ref didn't call the right penalty. Yes Cole is a very good player but the team got better with the trade.

I'm so sick of hearing about how bad people miss Erik Cole. I'm sure there is a thread about this, but I just needed a place to vent this out, so here we go.

Clearly in the offseason, this team needed a defensemen. Coming into the year, we only had Corvo, Gleason, Kaberle, Wallin and Sidenberg on the roster of NHL capable defensemen. Sure guys like Borer or Conboy are good players and could play in the NHL, but that wasn't the issue, it was an issue of depth. Tanabe was also in this mix but it appeared his career was over.

This team also had an abundance of forwards. Had no trade been made and no injuries occured, you have players like Bayda, Brookbank, and Boychuk not even making the team (maybe Bayda as a scratch) and a guy like LaCoture doesn't come to camp. Sure right now the issue is depth at forward but we had no way of knowing of all these injuries.

So at the time of the trade, I thin we can all agree that the move of a defensemen for a forward made sense.

Now lets look at the forwards we can trade. On the roster at the time, you have :

Eric Staal

Ray Whitney

Justin Williams

Rod Brind'amour

Tuomo Ruutu

Patrick Eaves

Sergei Samsonov

Matt Cullen

Scott Walker

Ryan Bayda

Brandon Sutter

Chad LaRose

Zach Boychuk

Wade Brookbank

And of course.....Erik Cole

Immediatly, you eliminate Staal, Brind'amour, Williams, and Whitney from the list b/c of leadership / faces of the franchise.

Now you want a quality defensemen, so you can't trade the bottom players b/c you won't get anything for that player. So Bayda Brookbank and LaRose are off.

Now to me this left 8 tradeable players - Ruutu, Eaves, Boychuk and Sutter are so young and you don't want to give up young talent especially these 4 b/c 2 of them have proved their talents and the other 2 haven't had the opportunity.

So now just 4 guys left - Cullen, Walker, Cole and Samsonov.

We all saw the effects of what this team was without Matt Cullen. Also we are very thin at center, so you don't want to give him up b/c of that.

If they didn't need Samsonov they wouldn't have resigned him. So he's off the list.

Now its just Cole and Walker. Who are going to get a better deal for? Walker or Cole. Clearly the answer is Cole. To me, it was so obvious all off-season that we were trading Cole for a Defenseman.

Other reasons why it made sense :

1. Cole randomly acted like he wasn't in the game. He didn't really skate that hard unless he had an important role. The best hockey he played in Carolina was at the end of this past season b/c he was killing penalities and on the PP unit - he felt like he was important and needed (this was straight from a conversation I had about the trade with Luke DeCock, btw).

2. He is ONE hit away from his career being over. I always felt, especially when he hurt his neck again last year, that he was a liability to have on the team. Its a shame his career was changed by a cheap shot, but nothing you can do about it. Erik Cole clearly was a different player after his neck being broken.

3. He is still young enough, fast enough, and talented enough to get a great player for him.

Part 3 was proven as we brought in Pitkanen. This guy has been awesome this year and I think we can see a big difference on the offensive end with Pitkanen. I think all the upsides of Pitkanen in Laviolettes system are so huge and more than outweigh the ones with Cole.

I'm in no way bashing Cole. I thought he was a great player and hated to see him go. However, it was so painfully obvious this was what needed to happen and I can't believe of all the people I see today STILL talking about how they miss him and even that lady who didn't get season tickets again b/c they traded Cole. Seriously?

This was a great trade and I honestly know in 5 years when Cole is probably out of the league and Pitkanen and Gleason are the anchors of our blue line we will look back and laugh when we were mad that Cole was traded for Pitkanen. JR has made a career of making amazing trades (Justin Williams for Danny Markov - are you serious?) and this one WILL pan out in our favor.

I find it a little ironic that this is coming from the person who is always complaining about how we got rid of the worlds best player Keith Aucion whenever he is brought up......

To Legend, I see what you're saying, but if your favorite player gets traded, isn't it only natural to be upset? He was a big fan favorite here for a long time, what's wrong with having a thread tracking how he does this year? It's not like everyone has to look at it.

I wish Erik Cole the best and I will be wearing my red Cole jersey when he is in town on 11/1. I hope we totally beat the Oilers, but if they have to score let it be Erik Cole. Go Canes.

Some people can understand, and even agree, the trade made sense, and still miss Erik's play. Drawing penalties, flying down the ice in a rush.. plus the way he treated the fans after practice. For these reasons, we can appreciate what he does elsewhere because we appreciate the player. Whether it's Around the NHL, or, in Hurricanes Talk, that's for the mods to decide. Whoever's interested, read on. If not, there are other threads.

I'm guessing you didn't listen to the after hours interview with Cole. He pretty much said he didn't like playing in Carolina. So I don't think he is missing you as much as your missing him. He didn't have very nice things to say about how we don't fill up the building on weeknights. As far as I'm concerned he is no longer a former hurricane player I support. He is just the same baby he was when he didn't get the minutes he thought he deserved or the ref didn't call the right penalty. Yes Cole is a very good player but the team got better with the trade.

Link? Anything? Because I find that hard to believe.

I do know there were a couple articles at the start of the season where Edmonton's beat writer took shots at Carolina and threw in Cole's quote about competing with college basketball to make it seem believable, but other than that, I've heard nothing but good from Cole

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPWRktQPJP8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5OIJHyI5a0

The comment about the attendance is pretty early in part one of the interview. The two commentators certainly seem to bait him into it and take little shots at Carolina throughout the early part of the show. Cole pretty much said that he liked arenas like Montreal that were filled to capacity every night and that type of crowd made it easy to get up for every game, whereas in weekday games in Carolina where there were only 12,000 people in the stands it made it tough to get motivated on certain nights. While it was wrong for the hosts to bait him into a comment like that, he still didn't need to make it.

No he didn't say that, at all. He said that on some Tuesday nights when there was only 12K in the stands or the house wasn't full, they may have to make their own energy and I don't think anyone can argue with that. Do you really think that on a Tuesday night when we have 12K fans in the house that we rival the energy of the Edmonton or Montreal or Toronto FULL house? What he said was absolutely correct, we have a diversity of sport here and hockey isn't #1 here like it is in Edmonton (or Montreal, or Toronto, or any other Canadian market), so there is bound to be a difference. Big damn deal.

And you can miss Cole and still think the trade was worth it.

I find it a little ironic that this is coming from the person who is always complaining about how we got rid of the worlds best player Keith Aucion whenever he is brought up......

To Legend, I see what you're saying, but if your favorite player gets traded, isn't it only natural to be upset? He was a big fan favorite here for a long time, what's wrong with having a thread tracking how he does this year? It's not like everyone has to look at it.

The people doing more then missing him such as the ones saying I wish we never dealt him are the 80%, such as the poster in the GDT's who complains about everything Pitkanen does. I wish I could avoid reading it but since it's being invaded into alot of topics outside of the 2 he already has I feel like I can invade this one to about how I feel.

The deal made sense from top to bottom.

The people doing more then missing him such as the ones saying I wish we never dealt him are the 80%, such as the poster in the GDT's who complains about everything Pitkanen does. I wish I could avoid reading it but since it's being invaded into alot of topics outside of the 2 he already has I feel like I can invade this one to about how I feel.

The deal made sense from top to bottom.

I agree with you, I'm quickly becoming a big fan of Pitkanen, I love what he brings to the team. Cole was one of my favorite players, but I see why the deal was made, everything made perfect business sense. I just think if people like ColeFanatic who are big Cole fans want to keep track in the other hockey talk forum, I don't see why not.

No he didn't say that, at all. He said that on some Tuesday nights when there was only 12K in the stands or the house wasn't full, they may have to make their own energy and I don't think anyone can argue with that. Do you really think that on a Tuesday night when we have 12K fans in the house that we rival the energy of the Edmonton or Montreal or Toronto FULL house? What he said was absolutely correct, we have a diversity of sport here and hockey isn't #1 here like it is in Edmonton (or Montreal, or Toronto, or any other Canadian market), so there is bound to be a difference. Big damn deal.

And you can miss Cole and still think the trade was worth it.

I'm not sure but I think Tuesday is a weeknight. But maybe I'm wrong. If you think his comments help bring top quality players to our organization then your wrong. Support him if you wish but with comments that I've heard him make in several interviews he is still sour about the trade.

Do you really think that is something I lose sleep over? I'm sure Cole is loving it there in Edmonton. I'm assumming YOU didn't listen to the interview with him and his family during the Oilers intermission the other night where he was inside his home and talking about how they needed to shop for an entertainment center. The cameras went onsite with him to the stores while Erik, Emily, Bella and Landon looked at tv's. He talked about how Bella cried when she got the news they were moving and how they try to stay away from the color red because of the memories. You can't be somewhere and form the type of friendships with a team like Cole did and not miss it. Even if he didn't miss it It wouldn't bother me at all. I'm happy with Pitkanen and I think the trade was worth it. I didn't want to admit that in the beginning but I do now when the proof is right in front of me. Taking cheat shots like you just did makes you sound more like a buffalo fan than a caniac in my opinion because caniacs have class and apparenty you have none. :angry:

We all miss Cole but the reality is he was a UFA and is majorly damaged goods even before his neck he had broke his leg, that trade made sense then and even more so now 5 games in.

Besides 80% of the folks who miss Cole miss him because he was cute and rocked thier world.

Let me clear something up for you. I guess I'm not in the 80% of those folks. I've stated time and time again that Cole wasn't that cute to me. He's ok and NO he doesn't rock my world. I like Cole because he's a class act guy on and off the ice and a big family guy. I know some people from Oswego and Cole has always been the kind of guy that everyone could trust. He never got into trouble back home and a lot of people in Oswego deeply respect him and Emily. His passion for the game shows through. I've seen him work through the pain and crash the net many times when it could be his last time.

I'm not sure but I think Tuesday is a weeknight. But maybe I'm wrong. If you think his comments help bring top quality players to our organization then your wrong. Support him if you wish but with comments that I've heard him make in several interviews he is still sour about the trade.

Last time I checked, it wasn't Cole's job to bring quality players to Carolina, it's Jim Rutherford's. And if you think Cole is going to go up to Edmonton and say that Carolina fans are the best ever and no one will ever replace them in his heart or that he really hated the trade and wishes he was back in Carolina, then you're nuts.

But hey, here's a suggestion, don't open this thread if you don't want to hear about Cole. Those of us interested in his career will be here very happy without your sour grapes comments.

You just took his comments completly out of context. Cole has never once said he didn't like playing in Carolina. But if you are expecting him to say "I love Carolina and wish I was never traded" keep waiting for that response.

He was traded. He has a new team, new teammates, and a new community to embrace. He is doing exactly what he needs to do to get himself and his family settled/comfortable in a new area.

If you think that for one minute he didn't enjoy playing in Carolina or being a part of this community, you don't know Cole at all.

You just took his comments completly out of context. Cole has never once said he didn't like playing in Carolina. But if you are expecting him to say "I love Carolina and wish I was never traded" keep waiting for that response.

He was traded. He has a new team, new teammates, and a new community to embrace. He is doing exactly what he needs to do to get himself and his family settled/comfortable in a new area.

If you think that for one minute he didn't enjoy playing in Carolina or being a part of this community, you don't know Cole at all.

Wow, this is crazy. Cole makes some comments in a interview that is blasted all over Canada and the US and I'm the bad guy. I'll say this one more time the team is better off with the trade being made. I'm choosing to support the team we have in the 2008/2009 season. Cole has moved on just listen to his comments I think we all should do the same. I have supported this team from the first time the played a game in Greensboro. After the move to Raleigh I spend 42 days traveling to the to support the team. I've got great respect for Cole after recovering from a serious neck injury. The only point I was making is that it's better to fall in love with the team verses one player. With salary cap issues and free agency the chances of one player playing his enitre career with one organization is slim.

Wow, this is crazy. Cole makes some comments in a interview that is blasted all over Canada and the US and I'm the bad guy. I'll say this one more time the team is better off with the trade being made. I'm choosing to support the team we have in the 2008/2009 season. Cole has moved on just listen to his comments I think we all should do the same. I have supported this team from the first time the played a game in Greensboro. After the move to Raleigh I spend 42 days traveling to the to support the team. I've got great respect for Cole after recovering from a serious neck injury. The only point I was making is that it's better to fall in love with the team verses one player. With salary cap issues and free agency the chances of one player playing his enitre career with one organization is slim.

What would you expect Cole to say?? Edmonton sucks, it is too cold up here, blue makes my butt look big?? When you have been traded you make the most of the situation, embrace the new community and move on. He had a right to complain about attendance, there were some nights I didn't know why the guys even came out. Wasn't for all the fans in the stand!! I remember one night after the '02 run there were barely 6k butts in the seats. Then you get traded to a team in Canada where hockey is king and the arena is always packed, you gotta love that kind of attention.

The only good reason for the trade was he had the highest value of our "tradeable" assets. He is in a contract year and is always difficult to deal with at contract time. He is likely to command more as a UFA then we are willing to pay. We got Pitkanen for him so we made out alright. It was a sound business decision.