The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CaniacInCary

Cole season long thread

What would you expect Cole to say?? Edmonton sucks, it is too cold up here, blue makes my butt look big?? When you have been traded you make the most of the situation, embrace the new community and move on. He had a right to complain about attendance, there were some nights I didn't know why the guys even came out. Wasn't for all the fans in the stand!! I remember one night after the '02 run there were barely 6k butts in the seats. Then you get traded to a team in Canada where hockey is king and the arena is always packed, you gotta love that kind of attention.

The only good reason for the trade was he had the highest value of our "tradeable" assets. He is in a contract year and is always difficult to deal with at contract time. He is likely to command more as a UFA then we are willing to pay. We got Pitkanen for him so we made out alright. It was a sound business decision.

I would expect him to give a little bit of credit to the organization that helped to get where he is today. I'm sorry if I took his comments the wrong way but I still believe it could have been handled with a little more class. People in Canada already believe we don't deserve to have a Hockey team and all we care about is Nascar and Basketball. This just adds more fuel to the fire for the people that believe we don't care about our team. It's funny how his attitude changed when he previously talked about how much he loved Carolina when he was here.

I would expect him to give a little bit of credit to the organization that helped to get where he is today. I'm sorry if I took his comments the wrong way but I still believe it could have been handled with a little more class. People in Canada already believe we don't deserve to have a Hockey team and all we care about is Nascar and Basketball. This just adds more fuel to the fire for the people that believe we don't care about our team. It's funny how his attitude changed when he previously talked about how much he loved Carolina when he was here.

Erik did fine, you must not have heard Jeff O'niell's interviews after he was traded from here. I think he used references to hillbilly's and such.

And given the lack of effort to promote the team when they moved here, would you really expect him to sweep that under the carpet. When they moved here the team didn't do *edit* to promote the team and we as fans didn't do our part and show up most nights. I was one of those folks, it wasn't until Chopper Harris ranted on 96.1 about there being a playoff team in town and the town folks not caring that I decided it might be worth a look see. Been a STH ever since.

Cole was fine in the interview, he didn't say anything that wasn't true. So what if the interviewers were trying to bait him in to biting us, he didn't do it. Cole is a very classy individual. And part of that class shows by not going on "Hockey Night in Canada" and pumping up one of the last teams to stop a Canadian team in the SCF's.

Who cares what anyone thinks about our hockey-worthiness? We are the ones who determine whether or not hockey stays in Carolina, not the population of Saskatoon or Boston, or the HNIC commentator's desk. We fill the seats, we buy the merchandise, we raise the roof.

And it's not an either or situation (teams vs players). The Canes are and always will be my favorite team, but part of that love for the team is driven by the players who play for the team. If I choose to follow a player after he leaves Carolina, big deal!

Wow, this is crazy. Cole makes some comments in a interview that is blasted all over Canada and the US and I'm the bad guy. I'll say this one more time the team is better off with the trade being made. I'm choosing to support the team we have in the 2008/2009 season. Cole has moved on just listen to his comments I think we all should do the same. I have supported this team from the first time the played a game in Greensboro. After the move to Raleigh I spend 42 days traveling to the to support the team. I've got great respect for Cole after recovering from a serious neck injury. The only point I was making is that it's better to fall in love with the team verses one player. With salary cap issues and free agency the chances of one player playing his enitre career with one organization is slim.

First off, I never once said I didn't agree with the trade. In fact, if you were around here all summer and leading up to the day he was traded, I was one of the few saying he needed to be traded and his time here was done. Show me one post of mine where I said the trade was bad or where I chose NOT to support this team. You are talking to the wrong person my friend. And of course Cole has moved on. I wouldn't have expected anything less.

There are some people like you who choose to no longer support a player when they are no longer on the team. That is fine. Then there are some people who choose to continue to support said player no matter what team they are on. And that is fine too.

Enough bickering back and forth. Everybody has made their points or defended their stance on this, move on.

Cole was fine in the interview, he didn't say anything that wasn't true. So what if the interviewers were trying to bait him in to biting us, he didn't do it. Cole is a very classy individual. And part of that class shows by not going on "Hockey Night in Canada" and pumping up one of the last teams to stop a Canadian team in the SCF's.

Who cares what anyone thinks about our hockey-worthiness? We are the ones who determine whether or not hockey stays in Carolina, not the population of Saskatoon or Boston, or the HNIC commentator's desk. We fill the seats, we buy the merchandise, we raise the roof.

And it's not an either or situation (teams vs players). The Canes are and always will be my favorite team, but part of that love for the team is driven by the players who play for the team. If I choose to follow a player after he leaves Carolina, big deal!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! In the end, that is what matters. Let's Go Canes!!!

Enough bickering back and forth. Everybody has made their points or defended their stance on this, move on.

It's real simple. This thread is ridiculous and should have been locked up. It wasn't done.

It's real simple. This thread is ridiculous and should have been locked up. It wasn't done.

It hasnt broken any rules....yet. We cant just lock a thread because we dont like it or dont agree with it.

Not much activity for Erik lately.. still stuck on 2 points. He was ejected from a game Saturday night for not having his sweater tied down with his fighting strap.. he had a fight and the problem was evident. I didn't realize that was subject to ejection.

As everyone knows, Erik will be in town tonight for the game tomorrow afternoon at 3pm. Look for him on right wing on the 3rd line. Should be an electric atmosphere. I hope our guys are on their A game. One coincidental note: Erik doesn't fight much but he has tussled with our Dan Lacouture, December of 2001, when Dan played with, who else, Pittsburgh. That was a long time ago, though.

Just found this article earlier today about Cole's return to 'Canesville from Faceoff.com:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.faceoff.com/story.html?id=e8379...topstories.atom

CAROLINA'S IN COLE'S PAST

Cole began his career with the Hurricanes, but cut his ties when traded away

Joanne Ireland, The Edmonton Journal

Published: Saturday, November 01, 2008

RALEIGH, N.C. - For seven seasons, this was his turf, his team, his home.

That's why there was a mass of media waiting for Erik Cole at the Edmonton Oilers' practice Friday, and why family and friends will squeeze into a suite built for 22 at the RBC Center this afternoon to watch Cole play his first game against the Carolina Hurricanes.

"I raised a family here, I was involved in a lot of different community affairs --things that help you grow as a person and a player. To come into the league and sit on the bench with Ron Francis was a pretty amazing thing so, yeah, I'm thankful for my time here. But that time has passed," Cole said.

"Right now, especially with the situation we're in, it's pretty easy not to focus on the past and on what we need to do to get out of our little rut."

A 1998 draft pick of the Hurricanes, Cole played his first game for the club in the 2001-02 campaign. He went on to score six goals in the Stanley Cup playoff run that season as a member of the BBC line along with Bates Battaglia and Rod Brind'Amour.

In 2006, he came back from a fractured vertebra to hoist the Stanley Cup after a Game 7 win over Edmonton.

He said all of his goodbyes after he was traded to those same Oilers this July.

"It was a little different coming in today. I went in the front door, not the back, but I think it's at the point now where it doesn't seem all that new," said Cole, whose family flew in for the season's only meeting between the two teams.

"I took some time to reflect a couple of days after the trade. I spent some time with some of the guys who were still in town and was able to say goodbye and move on. There was a reason I took six days of chaos to pack my things and get up to New York -- and not come back. It was a way to leave things here. To move on.

"I don't feel any nerves or anxiety right now. Maybe it will be different come game time, but I think it's going to be a lot more about excitement. It should be a great atmosphere in here."

After 418 regular season games with the Hurricanes, Cole ranks third on the team's all-time goals list (129), fourth in penalty minutes (406) and sixth in points (280).

Off the ice, he was involved in a number of charities, which explains all of the interest in his return. Even the waitress at the hotel had her game tickets in hand.

"Obviously, we don't want him to play well, but I'm sure he'll be a little more charged up," said Brind'Amour.

"I'm sure he's going to be nervous, too," Brind'Amour continued. "It's his first time back to an organization he was a big part of it."

"He's got a relationship going with everybody from the janitorial services to the Zamboni driver," said Oilers coach Craig MacTavish. "He's a blue-collar guy who identifies well with everybody, obviously.

"But I think Erik will probably be able to frame (his return) so that it will motivate him, energize him."

Some players struggle in this situation. When Ryan Smyth returned to Edmonton, he was so moved by the tribute he received before the game, that his play suffered for it.

Cole is certain he'll get through it, just as he's made the switch from a Cane to an Oiler.

"At first you sit back and take it all in, then after a while you just become a part of it," he said.

"I mean, last year, I was wearing a 10-year anniversary jersey, this year it was 30.

"There's a lot of tradition (in Edmonton) and it is exciting to be a part of."

jireland@thejournal.canwest.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan/GSBG

cc06: I thought that article was worth sharing, given how popular he was in your area. (Even though I live more than 2,500 miles to your west in southern California, I understand and respect how fellow Caniacs feel about their long-time players.) However, I understand how you and many other like-minded fans must feel regarding his comments.

Jan/GSBG

This week's update: one goal vs. Philly & one assist vs. Pittsburgh.. total of 4 points now in 14 games. Even so, he's the #8 scorer on his team. Edmonton just not scoring much, outside of their 5-4 games last week

cc06: I thought that article was worth sharing, given how popular he was in your area. (Even though I live more than 2,500 miles to your west in southern California, I understand and respect how fellow Caniacs feel about their long-time players.) However, I understand how you and many other like-minded fans must feel regarding his comments.

Jan/GSBG

I appreciate you sharing this article Jan. Erik has put the past behind him and moved on just like any professional player should focus on doing.

AND

for the rest of you who think this thread is ridiculous, I think it's ridiculous that you keep opening it up and posting. We as fans have the right to talk about a player whether he is still with Carolina or not just as you have the right to read it, bit if it's of no interest to you just ignore the thread. I'm sure this thread will die down as the season advances and until then you just need to grow up and get over it.

I appreciate you sharing this article Jan. Erik has put the past behind him and moved on just like any professional player should focus on doing.

AND

for the rest of you who think this thread is ridiculous, I think it's ridiculous that you keep opening it up and posting. We as fans have the right to talk about a player whether he is still with Carolina or not just as you have the right to read it, bit if it's of no interest to you just ignore the thread. I'm sure this thread will die down as the season advances and until then you just need to grow up and get over it.

Its only been re-opened lately by the thread starter to add her update. ;)

I think I will. Hey wait a minute...DID YOU TELL THE CANES TO DO THE SAME THING??? sorry couldn't refuse. :lol:

Nope, wasnt me. I wasnt even near the RBC let alone at the game. ;)

Cole added a goal this week. Now at 3 goals, 2 assists for 5 pts in 17 games. At this rate, that's only 25 points for the season.. will be interesting to see how he goes from here. Whole team is having trouble scoring. Edmonton seems to be on NHL Network every couple of weeks so he can be seen if you have it.

I had intended to post updates during the season, but if I'm the only one posting I'll shut it down. Of course, posting to complain still counts as posting so you'll only prolong it.. ;)

Cole added a goal this week. Now at 3 goals, 2 assists for 5 pts in 17 games. At this rate, that's only 25 points for the season.. will be interesting to see how he goes from here. Whole team is having trouble scoring. Edmonton seems to be on NHL Network every couple of weeks so he can be seen if you have it.

I had intended to post updates during the season, but if I'm the only one posting I'll shut it down. Of course, posting to complain still counts as posting so you'll only prolong it.. ;)

Yeah, I hope he starts doing better...because I am worrying about him. I am wondering what the problem is even if the Oilers aren't scoring too much.

I'll try to help out.

He had just over 10 minutes of ice time last night against DET... wow

Edmonton broke out of their scoring slump tonight against Columbus. Seven goals. Out of all that, Cole picks up an assist. Better than nothing...