The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CaniacInCary

Cole season long thread

Tellin ya'll he hates it there.... just like all other players who get banished there.

If he re-signs there i'll be a monkeys uncle! :P

I'm not sure this is the proper place for this, but on the off-chance someone reading will be at the Crisafulli Ice Rink on December 2nd, and just because it is a good cause:

Get some Cole for Christmas!

Erik Cole generously donated an autographed Oilers jersey to the Oswego County SPCA (OCAWL) to raffle. You can win it by buying a raffle ticket or ten! Tickets are $5 each or $20 for 5 chances to win this collector's item. The winner will be drawn on December 20, 2008.

Apparently the big auction was today, but there is still an opportunity to get raffle tickets. For more information, and a picture: Oswego County SPCA

Update for this week: added one more goal and an assist in the last 2 weeks.. 3 goals + 4 assists = 7 points in 23 games. Still on a 25 point pace.

Oilers have a TOP 5 feature on him here: Cole Top 5

Two interesting things: Ron Francis is one of his top 5 players of all time.. good for him.. and he lists Penguins as one of his favorite animals.. I would think he wouldn't be too fond of Penguins.. maybe just the Pittsburgh kind.

Cole's just as lost as the rest of the Oilers, and the fans have quickly turned on him.

Of course, when their expectations for him when they picked him up were 30 goals/40 assists, they're bound to be disappointed.

It's funny that you say the fans have quickly turned on him when I'm being told an entirely different story from the Edmonton Oilers fans.

Hey stranger. There you are :-) How's it going? Just a few weeks ago I was going to tell you how much I enjoyed watching Cole play here too, and obviously why you would miss him on your team. I sure enjoy watching him. Anyways, good to see you back Michelle. And hope you are alright. Take care!!

Wall-to-Wall - Write on Curtis's Wall

That is not the first comment I've got from people who live in Edmonton and were born Edmonton fans and will be till the day they die.

just a few other comments from various Oilers Fans and no where do I see they are turning on him. Sure some would like to see him start producing more but heck I'd like to see some of our players produce some more too.

I disagree, Cole played HARD, had a bunch of hits, and I thought he was a force out there. Yes, he needs to start producing, but I do think that will happen sooner than later if he continues to play like he did against St. Loius. His 1 clear mistake was not covering Boyes on his goal. Other than that I thought he had an excellent game

I really like Erik Cole too, if we had him for more than one season Id would totally get my jersey crested with his name. His goals will come, it's Gagner im worried about.

I wish all the oilers put in as much effort as Cole does, imagine how our record would look then.

Cole is an awesome player. In my mind he is another player representative of the Oiler work ethic. Unfortunately, in my opinion, he has been mis-managed since he's come here. First, he has had to adapt to a new team and city. Second, he has had to adapt to playing on his off wing for a large number of games. Finally, he has had to contend with the constant line juggling that MacT has been engaged in. How can he gain any consistency like that?

I'm confident that when the team comes around he will too, and we'll all be very glad that he's on our side.

wow what would you know...another confirmation from an Oiler Fan.

I have NOT heard anything here about Cole dissing Carolina. Ever. These guys are far to professional to have that type of slanderous comment following them around. And, the media here IS relentless!! If it's not MacT's head on a platter, then either Penner, Brodziak, any veteran...the three headed goalie monster, and yes even Cole has been lumped into the negatives out here. Which is totally unfortunate, because when your lines get juggled around so many times, and he( Cole) goes from left to right and back to left wing, and then to instantly find chemistry with everyone...it's just not going to happen overnight. It's not that he plays bad, he just has had no lucky breaks yet. Just wait till he does ;-)

If you guys want to track Cole's season that's fine, but be prepared for some to post their opinions in here too. Its one thing to track his stats and game play but another to argue back and forth about another team's opinion of him.

Did that actually sound as rediculous to read as it did for me to type?

well he started it!!! If he is going to post things about another team he needs to back up what he say's just as I did.

Take a sample from any fanbase about their opinions of any player and Im sure you can enough support to back any opinion you want. Please dont turn this thread into a personal argument about Cole.

I'm sorry TSA, that was not my intention. Making comments like the entire fan base is turning against him just rubbed me wrong. I should know better than to play with the children. Big slap on wrist. ;)

As an Oiler Fan, i like Eric Cole (and, have a little tiny bit of bitter feelings from '06...). The guy has real character, and real heart. He is the kind of community leader that The Edmonton Oilers and any community loves to have within their midst.

I wish Cole would start to produce, but he hasn't really got his chance. On a young team like Edmonton guys like Cole are amazing for their leadership qualities. Now, i don't see where anyone has the idea that we want Cole gone; he has had a slump but he is an amazing guy. He works his *edit* off game in and game out. His work ethic alone is enough to keep him in Edmonton, his speed and hitting ability just further reinforce this feeling 'round Edmonton. Now, admittedly, I am disappointed as of now of his production (3 goals and a handful of assists as of now i believe).

I think his lack of production has to do with lots of things, for one 'The Northwest Division' itself and it's defensive style (Ha, i hate playing so many Minny/Calgary games...), him having to adjust to our system (even more so with our abundance of RW's, he just doesn't fit properly in that elusive top 6.), and him simply not driving to the net as much. He seems to try little moves where he used to just use small power moves like the one handed drive to the net. I think it is just a matter of time before Cole finds his role on the Oilers, gets comfortable, and returns to his normal point production; his lack of drives on net is really hurting his scoring ability.

Now, i know Pitkanen is tearing it out here, but he and Cole are just polar opposites (in Edmonton at least, he was very much a loner with no effort in his tenure here). Cole is in almost every fans good books, and has been since the day he first got here and bought a house. Maybe it is just me, but i definitely think Cole is in the good books of Oilers fans.

Heres to Cole coming out of his slump!

*raises glass*

*link removed by admin*

Oiler fan on HFBoard wondering what the Oilers could get for trading Cole.

*link removed by admin*

Thread on the Oiler board calling Cole "a complete bust"

Also in the thread:

But if he keeps playing like he has been, nobody will miss him a bit.

Enough proof for you? Or should I go for the overkill and make multiple posts?

Ah, and a recent one on the Carolina board:

*link removed by admin*

Oh Please Froggy! Can we have "Crackers from Russia" updates!!

Crackers was arrested drunk in the night club by russian police and spent a night at the station.

Russian media reported that Omsk might cancel his contract or trade him to another team.

How's that for updates? ;)

*link removed by admin*

Oiler fan on HFBoard wondering what the Oilers could get for trading Cole.

*link removed by admin*

Thread on the Oiler board calling Cole "a complete bust"

Also in the thread:

Enough proof for you? Or should I go for the overkill and make multiple posts?

Ah, and a recent one on the Carolina board:

*link removed by admin*

You can continue to read those threads and it goes back and forth. Shoot far as that goes how many on here were calling for Staal's head on a platter awhile back? Does that mean the entire fan base is turning against him? NO! You should have been a lawyer for heaven's sake because you love to argue and maybe that way you wouldn't spend so much of your time on the messageboard instead of having a real life. Go ahead ban me...at this point I don't care. I wouldn't be the only poster leaving and going to other boards because of IceFrog.

I realize everyone is frustrated right now. Reminder though to not use personal attacks as well as basically advertising other hockey forums. Since we seem to have crashed this thread I am locking it.