The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
lewberts

Avery Suspended Indefinitely

The guys on Versus made a great point about this.

Avery's comments make the other teams mad. This puts himself at risk for injury (see the Todd Bertuzzi / Steve Moore issue). Putting himself at risk for injury for running his mouth is his fault. However, now his teammates are at risk for injury and pretty much have to stand up for him. The league had no choice to suspend him for his and other players' safety.

This comment was a funny jab had it been made in person. Over airways through the media makes this classless and very cowardly regardless of his past history. It is no surprise to me that the biggest *edit* in the league on the ice is also the biggest *edit* off the ice.

My only issue is Hits to the Head are ok and part of hockey but trash talk gets you suspended indefinitely!! I am not a fan of Avery but his issues are something that can be handled in a back alley.

Any other player said that it would be no suspension....problem is he said it publicly for kids to see blah blah, and they will all ask their parents what is "sloppy seconds" and why did he say that.

What he says on the ice I can't imagine, but its all good I guess as long as its not in public.

NHL is trying to save face I guess cause of the personal code conduct...i doubt anyone's feelings in the NHL were hurt, Elisha Cuthbert, maybe, this isn't the type of exposure you want,lol.

Maybe they'll suspend avery like 2 games or something and give him a small fine, won't solve too much. Stars won last night, and avery hasn't exactly been helping them this season.

The NHL is an organization, and Avery represents not only the Dallas Stars but also the NHL as a whole. Dion is in some sense his co-worker. They have every right in the world to suspend him for this. If someone in your workplace said this in an interview about you, I guarantee he would be fired on the spot, regardless if he played for Human Resources and you played for R&D.

The lack of suspensions for hits to the head has been debated constantly because some people want to remove all hits to the head, some want the rules to stand as they are, and most want the rules to land in a gray, undefined area. Making rules in gray areas is a problem because, as fortune would have it, the reffing in the NHL is already a joke and no one wants to give them any more decision making power. This bogs down the decision making process and the NHL cannot punish people for the dirty hits they make if the NHL's leaders cannot decide what is allowed and what is not allowed.

Avery's comment, however, does not fall into any gray area. It is in direct violation of the NHL's rulebook and the penalty fits the crime. If Avery acted the way he does now in the old NHL, the player's would have put him in an early grave. Every year he seems to get worse and worse, and I'm honestly glad he finally screwed up in a way that explicitly warrants disciplinary action.

This league is WAY too concerned about being PC and think if they don't stop things like this then they'll looking like a bunch of toothless idiots with sticks.

The players should have been able to handle this them selves and the league has no one to blame but them selves for allowing the media to stick a bunch of cameras and microphones in his face trying to bait him. All prior to a game no less. I would like to know what question was asked that got the kind of answer that was given.

Plus to hear the Stars owner sit there and say that their organization has high standards and would have suspended him if the league didn't???? How about all the sex they sell on their own website?

http://stars.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NHLPage&id=8481' target="_blank">http://stars.nhl.com/team/app/?service=pag...age&id=8481[/post]

Dude, this is the same town that has the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders! You gotta compete in a market like that.

Yes,, Avery is a jerk,,but you have to admit what he said is funny! There is not one guy whom hasn't said this about an ex! Maybe not on TV but we (guys) probably would have said it on TV given the chance! This is not a hockey matter and should have nothing to do with his JOB. Plus he will have to pay for it on the ice (which is where he won't be because of the suspension) so now we won't get to see him get his butt whipped ,because by the time he comes back it will be an old issue!

Look.... I've seen sticks thrown...Todd Bertuzzi break someones neck but to sit here and suspend a guy for what he said....what the hell? That's good TV now you're ready to watch Calgary and Dallas play but NOOOOOO !!!! Gary Bettman wants to suspend a guy just bacause he made a comedic retort about his ex-girl friend!!!! Come on... I hate Dallas!!! But I'm backing Sean! Come on Gary....give us a break....Sean is awesome(even though I hate Dallas!!!!!) just like NASCAR you can't judge a driver by what he says!!!! Anyway...why would you want any ones sloppy seconds....thats funny!!!! Cause his ex-girlfiend is finer than frogs hair...have you seen her!!!???? Wow....Dion Phinuif has is made!!!! Just laugh!!! it's a joke why take it personal? He's trying to rattle your cage. Anyway, good luck Sean hope you play by this wekend!!!!

I think people are missing a few key points about this whole situation.

First off, the media didn't ask him ANYTHING to get this response. Avery sought them out, asked if there was a camera on because he had something he wanted to say, and then spouted this off. It was a rude, classless, premeditated action. If you have seen the full video you will see that he asked to talk to the media. I think that is difference one versus him being asked about it.

Secondly, he wasn't just referencing Dion Phaneuf, although it made the bigger impact since he said it while getting ready to play against Calgary. He has several ex-girlfriends who are now dating other hockey players. So, it's not just a remark towards Phaneuf, but also to other players and is a disparaging remark about the women he dated. As someone said, the league is trying to guard against another Bertuzzi incident. As Kenickie from Grease would say, Avery is cruisin' for a bruisin'. I know he is known for his wild antics, but one day he is going to take it too far and it could get ugly.

Third, I think the reason they made it indefinite is partly because even the Stars don't want him around right now, but also I think this is the NHL's way of making up for other things that Avery has done and said in the past. It could be the NHL's repentance for letting Avery get away with calling Georges Laraque a monkey, or making dirty remarks about Jason Blake's cancer. I'm sorry, but that shouldn't be tolerated from ANY player. I understand the trash talk aspect in hockey. I do. However, there are some things that cross the line of trash talk, and in an organization where pretty much everyone is your colleague whether you play with them or not, racist, sexist, inflammatory or disparaging remarks shouldn't be tolerated.

I don't think that trash talk should be punished on the same level as a dirty hit to the head, or breaking someone's neck, but I think that this suspension is to keep that from happening to Avery. I also think that the reason that it is indefinite is because everyone is sick of him, and no one knows what to do with him anymore. His mouth is turning him into a liability. When you own team doesn't even want you in the locker room, that is an issue. When no one else wants you around either, that becomes an issue. Sure, the NHL could have not suspended him, but the Stars were going to suspend him for it anyway. It's not like Avery has somewhere to go. He wouldn't have been playing whether the NHL came down on him or not.

Personally, I'm hoping that this is the beginning of the end for Sean Avery. If he finds himself jobless in the future, maybe he can crawl back to Vogue and ask for his internship back.

Anytime Avery gets suspended for anything I approve but really has anyone ever heard of "sticks and stones...."? Rude, Classless, Unprofessional, Avery, but I'm being redundant aren't I?

Let Dion and his friends take care of it on the ice or would that upset Gary's apple cart?

Why the heck is this in Hurricanes talk and not around the NHL? :blink:

Mods, Mods, cleanup on Aisle 3 please.

All the people that think this bum's comments are funny must not have daughters or sisters. How would you like to hear stuff like that about your loved ones on national tv? This was a premeditated act that went way over the bounds of good taste. The really sad thing about this is that Avery is a good hockey player when he isn't being an idiot. I haven't heard any ex team members speak up in his defense. Even when a player makes a questionable hit, someone on his team will usually stick up for him. Even the players on his own team have had enough. Good bye and good riddance,Sean!

To everyone that is saying that since it is an off ice incident, no suspension should be issued, I give you Plaxico Burress. He didn't shoot himself on the football field, but he is suspended anyway. It is disappointing that the league has let some questionable hits go unpunished, but they were questionable. Nobody is questioning whether or not what Avery said was in poor taste or for that matter that Avery is a total tool.

Just look at this as a "Lifetime Achievement Award".

All the people that think this bum's comments are funny must not have daughters or sisters. How would you like to hear stuff like that about your loved ones on national tv? This was a premeditated act that went way over the bounds of good taste. The really sad thing about this is that Avery is a good hockey player when he isn't being an idiot. I haven't heard any ex team members speak up in his defense. Even when a player makes a questionable hit, someone on his team will usually stick up for him. Even the players on his own team have had enough. Good bye and good riddance,Sean!

Now let me preface my comments with I have no idea who this girl is and have never seen a pict of her but if you have the lack of good judgement/ good taste to go out with/ sleep with/ or date a guy who has proven to be less than gentlemanly then you have to expect some nasty comments... Grandad used to say "if you lay down with dogs you get up with fleas". This is akin to dating a married guy who later cheats on you and you wonder why :lol:

I personally don't think it's funny but if your sister or daughter dresses up like a tramp and someone calls her that or if she dates a lowlife scum how upset can you be when bad words happen? Particularly if you have a habit of dating "celebrities" things get into the media.

Why the heck is this in Hurricanes talk and not around the NHL? :blink:

Mods, Mods, cleanup on Aisle 3 please.

My bad. I sent it the wrong way in an earlier clean up on aisle 5 ;)

Barnaby on ESPN said today he thought there was a really good chance the stars would release him in the next 2 days.

In doing this, would it mean that he would still be owed the remaining $$$ in the contract? If so, then why not assign the guy to some *edit* minor league team and force him to stay there.

In doing this, would it mean that he would still be owed the remaining $$$ in the contract? If so, then why not assign the guy to some *edit* minor league team and force him to stay there.

they can buy him out of his contract, not sure about the rules on that but at a minimum they would owe him at least a third of his pay (there are rules that base the payout on age, length of contract, UFA vs RFA status, etc.).

In regards to being sent down to Dallas' AHL team, Avery probably has a one-way contract. The Stars may be able to release him if he has a "morals" clause in his contract.

His actions/comments were repugnant and a multi-game suspension would seem to be appopriate. But an indefinate suspension? This seems to be a "make-up call" for his previous questionable actions that have gone unpunished.

The most ironic thing in all this is that NHL has, by actually doing the right thing this time, managed to look like a true mom-and-pop kind of league, like a league run by some twentysomething out of a basement or a garage of his parent's house. Why, you may ask? Well it's because when the league mishandles so many controversial situations and makes so many bad decisions, they only tend to get magnified once they get their heads out of their buts and actually do something right.

Once again the it's the old rule that the most important parameter in situations like this is not WHAT was done, but rather WHO did it and most important WHOM it was done to. Do you believe for a second that league action would have been the same if the target of Sean Avery's vile and demeaning remarks was not a celebrity and a girlfriend of an All-Star, Team Canada member, and a player of a Canadian NHL team? Say, instead of that, Sean Avery said the same thing, but it was directed at a girlfriend of some 3rd/4th liner, some backup goalie, or someone who plays for Predators, Coyotes, Thrashers, or even the Hurricanes. Do you think the same media hoopla would ensue, and do you believe that Bettman would respond the same way? I honestly don't believe so.

Why are the alleged comments of Avery to TML's Jason Blake a cause for a major investigation, but when he breaks Canes' Andrew Ladd's orbital bone punching him as he's held by 2 linesman, it's business as usual? Why do headshots that cause concussions and long term injuries to Habs, Leafs, or Rangers players result in suspensions and stern warnings, and when they happen to Canes, Panthers, or Thrashers players they result in comments like "he should have kept his head up"? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

I don't care what he said, but Avery is a *edit*. I'm glad he is suspended, I don't care how it ended up happening.

Seconded, this guy needs to play in the ECHL. he'd fit in rather well there

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, should set a guideline as to player conduct and what the NHL/NHLPA consider appropriate punishment. Ideally Dallas needs to buy him out and then the remaining teams should agree not to pick him up (though that may be illegal). Let him take that mouth to mother Russia and see where it gets him. He will be sent of to the Siberian minor leagues!! LOL

Once again the it's the old rule that the most important parameter in situations like this is not WHAT was done, but rather WHO did it and most important WHOM it was done to. Do you believe for a second that league action would have been the same if the target of Sean Avery's vile and demeaning remarks was not a celebrity and a girlfriend of an All-Star, Team Canada member, and a player of a Canadian NHL team? Say, instead of that, Sean Avery said the same thing, but it was directed at a girlfriend of some 3rd/4th liner, some backup goalie, or someone who plays for Predators, Coyotes, Thrashers, or even the Hurricanes. Do you think the same media hoopla would ensue, and do you believe that Bettman would respond the same way? I honestly don't believe so.

And honestly you would be right... Who would care if some janitor at Giants Stadium shot himself in the leg at the pump and munch in Newark? Nobody...

Would Major Bloomberg make a point of convicting and sentencing the guy prior to his day in court probably not.

Who would care if some two bit chick from Iowa had "a movie" on you tube and not Paris Hilton? Nobody...

And I wouldn't have to hear about her new best friend either.

Sean didn't say it about Tim Conboy he said it about someone ( and went out of his way to find media) who he knew would piss off half of the NHL. Poor judgement. Most times in life people will get made an example of and here is the AaHaaa moment Bettman has been looking for. Would the punishment have been the same if Crosby had made the same comment... I doubt it.

Classic case of the the punishment not fitting the crime but one Sean rolled the dice on ... and the Stars lost. I don't feel sorry for either. What is it with Dallas teams picking up the idiots from the other Pro teams? :lol: