The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
lewberts

Avery Suspended Indefinitely

As bad as all this is, you have to know that ratings will increase on the games when he comes back.....especially when he plays his new bestest buddy. People thrive off drama. While I don't agree with what Avery said, and where he said it, I don't think any of this is "detrimental to the game". Quite the contrary, it will have a positive impact and draw more people to watch his games.

NHL needs to be careful they don't creampuff these players too much. NASCAR has done that, and look how that has worked out......

You want him to get MORE than that? Are you kidding? Six games is a disgrace as it is.

So basically, what the NHL is saying is: Go ahead and attempt to end the careers of other players. That's two games, max. But don't you dare utter the word "sloppy seconds", or we'll really come down on you.

You want him to get MORE than that? Are you kidding? Six games is a disgrace as it is.

So basically, what the NHL is saying is: Go ahead and attempt to end the careers of other players. That's two games, max. But don't you dare utter the word "sloppy seconds", or we'll really come down on you.

I 100% agree, this suspension is a total joke. Brooks Orpik almost ended Erik Cole's career not to mention his life, and he got like what 3 games?

What a bunch of Bull$*#!

What a whacked sense of priorities the league has to give 6 games for this verbal nonsense, which was tasteless, but certainly not breathtakingly obscene. The fact that what he said is repeated word for word in print and on TV without using &*^#! or (bleeps) is an indication that it wasn't really that bad, just juvenile. A fine, a steep one, was the way to go.

One of the Canes problems may be the locker room. It's too comfy. Everyone says so. Sutter at Canes Corner said "It's a great locker room. Everyone gets along." Brindy said almost exactly the same thing in the pre-game interview yesterday, "all the guys like each other." I bet Avery could change that very quickly and we can probably get him real cheap....c'mon, any takers????

He got six and that was probably a few more than he should have gotten, but here's his problem now......Dallas called him a "disgrace" as they run a VERY family freindly organization down there and PR is HUGE to them in that market. They want to release him but they can't. It would cost them about $8 million to buy him. They want to send him down, but he'd have to clear waivers (which is fine), but if he does they have nowhere to send him. The Dallas minor league system almost doesn't exist. Their minor leaguers play everywhere. They don't have a "solid" team for him to go to. Manitoba would be the first choice, but they said they don't want him either! I think AVERY is terrible for the game and has no class, but he will get picked up by someone. Whether the Stars buy him out or someone picks him up off waivers, he will serve his 6 and play in the NHL again whether it's in a Stars sweater or not. Unfortunately.

He got six and that was probably a few more than he should have gotten, but here's his problem now......Dallas called him a "disgrace" as they run a VERY family freindly organization down there and PR is HUGE to them in that market. They want to release him but they can't. It would cost them about $8 million to buy him. They want to send him down, but he'd have to clear waivers (which is fine), but if he does they have nowhere to send him. The Dallas minor league system almost doesn't exist. Their minor leaguers play everywhere. They don't have a "solid" team for him to go to. Manitoba would be the first choice, but they said they don't want him either! I think AVERY is terrible for the game and has no class, but he will get picked up by someone. Whether the Stars buy him out or someone picks him up off waivers, he will serve his 6 and play in the NHL again whether it's in a Stars sweater or not. Unfortunately.

I can almost feel bad for Dallas... ALMOST. How did they not expect some kind of embarrassing behavior from this "player?" If it wasn't this, it would be something else with him. Be interesting to see what Dallas does with him.

And you are right... he will continue to be in the NHL because there are enough teams out there willing to rent his tired act for a season or two. My 2 cents.

I can almost feel bad for Dallas... ALMOST. How did they not expect some kind of embarrassing behavior from this "player?" If it wasn't this, it would be something else with him. Be interesting to see what Dallas does with him.

And you are right... he will continue to be in the NHL because there are enough teams out there willing to rent his tired act for a season or two. My 2 cents.

I don't feel bad for Dallas. They thought they could change him, nobody can change him. His chance to be a good player was years ago, but he wanted to roam around the ice and bring attention to himself. I do think the suspension is stupid compared to other player's on ice conduct.

To those that say that they have to explain this to a kid, tell them that Avery is an example of somebody they shouldn't be and he's the court jester.