The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CanesTown

River Rats Logo copied/stolen???

Wow that is the first time I have ever heard of that team and seen that. We have a meet and greet with the River Rats players tomorrow night. Might mention this to the front office.

Just to be a tad skeptical, are we sure that Albany didn't copy the German team?
Yeah I am pretty sure of that because this is the Rats 16th season and our logo was drawn by a kid. So I am pretty sure of that.

If you look at the team names and/or logos of European hockey teams, you will see that many have been copied (some slightly modified, some almost an exact copy) from the NHL/AHL teams. It's a way of paying tribute to a longer and more storied tradition. It's the same thing as soccer in North America where the teams have "stolen" the names of famous Euro soccer clubs (United, Dynamo, Real..)

In my hockey career as a fan (15 years) i watched maybe 10 games vs Dingolfing in different leagues and with different teams.

I remember the teams name was EV Dingolfing for a long time.

Haven

Completely ripped off, If I were part of the River Rats organization I would send a cease and desist letter quickly.

Kara

They would laugh and throw it in the trash, U.S. law doesn't apply to Germany!! It would cost more than it is worth to pursue something in the World Court (which is usually reserved for war crimes and other inhumane acts).

Too bad that happened, I mean you see it sometimes with middle schools/high schools, but on the professional stage thats sad too see.

When you consider the level of hockey that league is on, this is the best comparison to draw. Now, if it were the Swedish Elite League, KHL, DEL, etc., maybe there would be grounds for an argument. In regards to the BHL, I would compare it to the previously mentioned middle and high school teams that use professional logos and jersey designs that match their team's name.