The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Tampa puts Vrbata and Gratton on waivers

I don't know if it would happen this season, but that has been my biggest fear when Laviolette got fired, that he would end up in Tampa.

Their players played a similar scheme as the Canes and would probably be a good fit for his system.

Vrbata had a solid year with the 'yotes last season, but hasn't produced this year. Perhaps another team may give him a shot.

As for Lavi in Tampa, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him an offer since they can get him 'cheap' (with Carolina footing some of the bill). However, it doesn't appear that Lavi is in a big hurry to take on a new job and if his is patient, he should be getting far better offers than Tampa down the road.

Vrbata was probly getting over 15 minutes a game in Phoenix, i would be surprised if he got over 10 in Tampa with all their players.. you can't blame him i bet he was forced to the 3rd or 4th line.

EDIT: i did my research, looks like he's getting a little more than 15 minutes per game in Tampa and was getting around 20 in Phoenix.

oh gosh...JR...PLEASE don't bring him back...

I heard on XM that Radim Vrbata and Chris Gratton were put out on waivers this morning. The guys ion XM called Vrbata "a bust" in Tampa. Gratton is a tough guy but doesnt bring much else to the table and its hard to justify him taking up a roster spot when they're already to the cap. Is it even possible they're clearing more cap space for yet another signing? Or another coach???

I think we can now officially say that Tampa is a mess. XM also reported that the new ownership group might need to be bailed out somewhat by the old owner and it may be written that he would in the deal they made. The new owners spent to the cap like crazy with some big $ free agents, hired and fired Barry Melrose and have noting to show for any of it so far. They have a lot of talent and the top pick of the last draft (Stamkos) but something is still really wrong there. I wonder even if they wanted to hire Laviolette, could they even afford his contract? Would Lavi even want to walk into that mess?

I wish Lightningbug was still around to shed some light on this. We here in Raleigh might be frustrated about how our team has performed since wining the Cup but no offense, I'm glad we're not Lightning fans. Sounds like a big mess that wont be solved over night.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=258958&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nhl' target="_blank">http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=258958&amp...os=topStory_nhl[/post]

Tampa Bay's failure this year makes me really happy, because I posted a lot about how terrible they would be this year when a lot of people had them doing a little better than us. I would have had to have eaten a few pounds of crow, if they were actually any good :lol: I knew they weren't going to do well ever since the free agency started and their new owner/gm's were signing all of these ridiculous players to good deals. Honestly I feel sorry for their fans, who have to put up with their crazy management.

I heard on XM that Radim Vrbata and Chris Gratton were put out on waivers this morning. The guys ion XM called Vrbata "a bust" in Tampa. Gratton is a tough guy but doesnt bring much else to the table and its hard to justify him taking up a roster spot when they're already to the cap. Is it even possible they're clearing more cap space for yet another signing? Or another coach???

I think we can now officially say that Tampa is a mess. XM also reported that the new ownership group might need to be bailed out somewhat by the old owner and it may be written that he would in the deal they made. The new owners spent to the cap like crazy with some big $ free agents, hired and fired Barry Melrose and have noting to show for any of it so far. They have a lot of talent and the top pick of the last draft (Stamkos) but something is still really wrong there. I wonder even if they wanted to hire Laviolette, could they even afford his contract? Would Lavi even want to walk into that mess?

I wish Lightningbug was still around to shed some light on this. We here in Raleigh might be frustrated about how our team has performed since wining the Cup but no offense, I'm glad we're not Lightning fans. Sounds like a big mess that wont be solved over night.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=258958&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nhl' target="_blank">http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=258958&amp...os=topStory_nhl[/post]

Gratton has had a hip injury from last year and a lower body injury for most of this year ( ankle maybe). He is a 20 pt guy in 60 games but would be Wayyyyyyy better at "protective services" than Brookbank with much more 4th line upside. I don't what it would take to pick him up off Waivers but with the mess that TB is in I wouldn't say that his play would preclude me from looking at him. It ain't going to happen though unless Mo needs more muscle to provide a little insurance for Ray and Eric et al....We got enough $ issues already.

I was listening during the 5:00 hour on XM and they said Vrbata had approached the team and asked to be put on waivers so he could return to the Czech Republic. He said his confidence was at a low point and that he wanted to try and get his game back on track there and attempt to come back to the NHL next year.

I was listening during the 5:00 hour on XM and they said Vrbata had approached the team and asked to be put on waivers so he could return to the Czech Republic. He said his confidence was at a low point and that he wanted to try and get his game back on track there and attempt to come back to the NHL next year.

He was always a fragile player, even when he was with the Canes. He had a very accurate shot and good moves but he always looked scared out there. He'd never play the body and just seemed kind of timid. I'm not surprised that he would say something like this.