The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cjackson

Refs

usually when you are losing it seems like the refs are not giving you any breaks.. but I have to say against Pittsburgh I shook my head at our first 3 penalties.. i hadn't seen what we did wrong on any of them. And last night when they missed Brashear's stick poke at (I think) Conboy while being restrained, I went ballistic. Not one but two officials missed it. I could see them talking before the subsequent faceoff and one just shrugged at the other, like, i didn't see it... yeesh. And of course, right after that, we got called for something. Did seem like the Caps got away with things we wouldn't have.

Made it that much sweeter when we won.

It was so obvious the refs were cap fans. It really made me made there were blatant penalties, yet refs call it. They were calling everything against us. EVERYTHING!

I know Gratton was sent back to the AHL not sure his size.

Awesome part was we won! even with more penalty minutes.

Repeat after me: The refs are not out to get us. It happens to every team.

Very true, but it does seem to happen way more often with Brad Watson than any other official.

1499942.jpg

Better?

Watson: "Hmmmmm, I havent called a penalty on the Canes in 5 minutes. Wait....wasnt that a hook...umm...hold....umm....trip? Yeah, that's it..a trip."

Lifts arm up and speaks into mic- "Tripping, #12-Carolina"

Player behind him: "Pssst Brad, I think I might have seen Staal do a little dive with that trip too."

Very true, but it does seem to happen way more often with Brad Watson than any other official.

someone had to take McGoo's place!!

Could be worse, <koff> Blaine Angus. He was finally let go thankfully, though last I heard he had appealed to get his job back. Given the amount of time that passed since those reports, I'm guessing he was unsuccessful.

That said, a couple of the no-calls last night were just horrid, while we seemed to get more than our share of borderline calls in the game with the Caps.

usually when you are losing it seems like the refs are not giving you any breaks.. but I have to say against Pittsburgh I shook my head at our first 3 penalties.. i hadn't seen what we did wrong on any of them. And last night when they missed Brashear's stick poke at (I think) Conboy while being restrained, I went ballistic. Not one but two officials missed it. I could see them talking before the subsequent faceoff and one just shrugged at the other, like, i didn't see it... yeesh. And of course, right after that, we got called for something. Did seem like the Caps got away with things we wouldn't have.

Made it that much sweeter when we won.

I can tell you in short what that was and it wasn't missed... That was the ref and linesman seeing that Brashear was trying to get Conboy to drop them and Tim having nothing to do with it so nothing was called. He tried to egg Tim into something a couple of times. If that had happened to Samsonov Brashear gets called for a rough...

What really bugs me is obvious things like missed high sticks or stick jabs to the stomach, it seems like the refs miss a lot that happen to us but catch us every time. Also the refs seem to be OK with players taking shots at our guys heads, but if we do the same on accident we get penalized. This works in our favor half the time but I cant help being a little bit angry when its the back official who makes the call, instead of the one looking right at it.

I dunno, Pittsburgh had three 5 on 3's just through the second period against Buffalo tonight and the game was on national tv, coincidence? I was suprised they didn't give Cindy and Co a 5 on 2 PP.

Sounds to me like the NHL started early this year to market certain teams.

The ones that get to me the most are the supposed hooking calls, where all it takes to draw a call is the stick being parallel to the ice and the blade touching another player. Or the hooking calls the Caps like to draw, where the player traps a stick between his arm and chest and then just twits away and acts like he was hooked. The Caps got away with two of those last night.

Sounds to me like the NHL started early this year to market certain teams.

The ones that get to me the most are the supposed hooking calls, where all it takes to draw a call is the stick being parallel to the ice and the blade touching another player. Or the hooking calls the Caps like to draw, where the player traps a stick between his arm and chest and then just twits away and acts like he was hooked. The Caps got away with two of those last night.

And didnt Pitkanen get an unsportsmanlike with one of those?

And didnt Pitkanen get an unsportsmanlike with one of those?

The Capitals playing got the unsportsmanlike penalty. It was Pitkanen for Hooking, and the Capitals player for diving, essentially.

lol only a canes fan

Only a Canes fan what? Makes comments about suspect officiating? Read any other boards much? Listen to telecasts much?

All fans of all teams and all commentators comment negatively about officiating at one time or another.

There were a couple of very bad calls the other night. Whenever I see Watson make calls like that I think of the people that say hockey doesn't belong in the South. I am not a Southerner, but hockey does belong here. The NHL needs to take a good look at some of their refs.

I hear stuff like this all the time when I ref. Just this week I tossed a player for checking from behind. The coach started with the standard "worst call I've ever seen". I hear that 15 times a week. Its amazing how I can be so bad, yet my partners also get those comments too. Then it turned into "every game we get players tossed for checking from behind and it isn't fair". Well maybe, just maybe its not the reffing but the players. Don't hit from behind and there is no problem. :P

Then there was Mr. Coach who said that my reffing was horrible and I needed to learn my rules (despite me getting 98% on the exam). His team it turns out was 0-16 on the season. Every game its the officials fault. :P

Quince brought up the Sabres Pittsburgh game from Monday night, and I am going to throw in this article because I think it's very interesting...

Miller says official used profanity

By Mike Harrington

NEWS SPORTS REPORTER

At the end of a routine 5 1/2-minute session with reporters Tuesday in the Amherst Pepsi Center, Buffalo Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller dropped a bit of a bombshell: The Sabres