The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
IceFrog999

No Love for Mike Murphy

He keeps up these numbers and it won't be long for either team to have their look at him.

It doesn't seem to be a one-year thing either. Last season, he played 49 games, won 36 of them. Ended up with a 2.24 GAA and a .929%. Then the playoffs, played 19 games, won 14 of them and had 2.32 GAA and a .927%

I believe so, he'll reach the 20-year-old age limit this January.
Well hopefully he will play here next season and will be able to put up those kind of numbers here with us.

Though I would give an update on how he's doing.

23 games played, 16 wins, 3 regulation loses, 2 in shoot outs, 2 in overtime.

GAA is 2.01, 2.23 is the closest, his save % is .943 with .927 being the closest.

He's basically on pace for another great year like last year, it still beats me how we got him in the 6th round. I saw him after watching Caniac4life's video, and was an instant fan, this guy is amazing.

He should be in Albany next year, he'll be 20 in January.

I could certainly see how his style of hockey would cause alot of NHL teams to be wary of his ability to develop into a NHL goaltender. However, if there is any goaltender prospect out there that could follow in Tim Thomas' footsteps, Murphy looks to be as prime as anyone.

I could certainly see how his style of hockey would cause alot of NHL teams to be wary of his ability to develop into a NHL goaltender. However, if there is any goaltender prospect out there that could follow in Tim Thomas' footsteps, Murphy looks to be as prime as anyone.

Yeah, teams really look for the positionally sound butterfly goalies now, which I can certainly understand, but if they can keep the puck out of the net I don't care how they do it.

I hope it continues, and it spills over into the NHL as well, and not just an exceptional minor leaguer, ya know? Otherwise, get the guy in a Rats jersey next year, and a Canes the one after that if it continues..

With the kind of numbers he is putting up I am really excited to think he may play here in Albany next season. Kind of excited to see if he can put up the same kind of numbers as a pro.

Murphy's development makes next year very interesting for the Canes. Cam will be in his contract year unless he is extended this summer. I can picture Murphy impressing during training camp and staying up or starting at Albany, doing well, and then getting the call up around this time next year to get a look at him at the NHL level. If he's the real deal for the NHL, then the Canes have great options for trading or keeping. I would not be surprised to see Leights moved this summer so that either Murphy or Peters get NHL time next season. Murphy could finally provide the Canes with depth at Goalie, a "problem" that all teams would like to have, would be nice to have our own version of Tim and Manny.

I really doubt Peters is ever our #2, we'd sign a new backup before bringing him up he's just not to impressive.

What you suggested for Murphy is what we did for Cam, and if you want Murphy to struggle in development you'll advocate his being brought up straight out of the OHL. It's taken 3 harsh seasons to get Cam to speed, why repeat that?

Ultimately, the reason to consider the repeat of Wardo's development would likely boil down to $$$. What is Cam going to expect/be worth for either an extension this summer or on the open market in 2010. Where is JR going to spend the team money? We know JR is loyal, so Cam will likely stay in place beyond 2010. On the other hand, if Cam will be gone after 2010, then JR will want someone who is NHL ready or close for 2010-11 and he might "rush" Murphy straight out of the OHL to the NHL next season, we know he's done it before. Not that it would be best for Murphy, but it could be the right decision for the Canes over time.

I agree with you on Peters and don't see him with more than back-up NHL potential. I have not seen him enough, just preseason, for this to be well founded. However, JR has made positive statements about Peters in the past. Next year presents interesting questions for the Canes organization at this position. Will they keep Leighton with his one-way contract, placing Peters and Murphy both in Albany where who plays? If the organization believes in Peters, they will not want him backing up in the AHL; same goes for Murphy.

Long range, I would like for Murphy to develop in the Canes organization and have the ability to send out 2 top 15 goalies on the ice for any game (Cam as well), like the Bruins now. Of course, there are many "ifs" and decisions between now and that time likely in 2011-2012. I would like to see the Canes extend Cam this summer and get that question off of the table. Then, have Murphy be the starter in Albany next season. Leaving the question of who gets moved: Leighton or Peters prior to next season. I would say move Leighton and have Peters as the back-up. Mgmt would communicate to both Peters and Murphy that they have opportunity with the Canes with this move, even as they see Cam in place in net ahead of them. The play of all 3 throughout 2009-10 then would drive decisions for who is with the Canes for 2010-11, of course injuries can factor into all of these possibilities as well.

These are the types of decisions that seem tough to mgmt, but are the ones you want to have to make. Depth between the pipes can make up for other organizational shortcomings and is a rare luxury in the NHL.

Rushing goaltenders is a dangerous thing though. It's a lot different than rushing forwards or defensemen.

With the latter, you can play them on the 4th line/bottom pairing, limit their minutes and ease them into the game. With goaltenders, there's no "easing in". You play the entire game, or you do poorly enough to get pulled. Which obviously isn't very good for development either.

As long as Ward continues to improve, we should take it easy on Murphy's development. There's no hurry to have him up here and the possible risks of rushing him far outweigh the possible rewards.

As long as Ward continues to improve, we should take it easy on Murphy's development. There's no hurry to have him up here and the possible risks of rushing him far outweigh the possible rewards.

Fully agreed. The only exception would be if Ward is allowed to or opts to leave when his contract in up in 2010.

Okay so what style does he play?

Regardless, I haven't seen him play a full game. But these highlights, wouldn't be highlights in some cases if he'd control the rebound. Not sure how well thats going to translate to the AHL.

I mean....rebound to the slot...then a glove save. Thats cool, but are you going to make that save in the AHL? Not sure about that.

and we've already seen what impressive numbers mean when you join the NHL. Not much

Storr was also a flopper, Chechmanek was a flopper the numbers are against floppers in the NHL. Hasek was the only good flopper ever

Storr was also a flopper, Chechmanek was a flopper the numbers are against floppers in the NHL. Hasek was the only good flopper ever

Maybe we should persuade Murphy to use a caged mask, see if it has any positive effect on him :P

But yeah, his floppiness is the main reason we got him in the 6th round. He is kind of a risk to take on a pick higher than that, because like you said most floppers dont have great NHL numbers.

i actually think his style is better than hasek. he's got a great glove hand and butterfly, and doesn't seem to fully rely on just "flopping".

here are two highlight videos i've made for him

and here's a link to the Belleville Bulls youtube site, where there are game highlights that feature Murphy

http://www.youtube.com/user/BellevilleBullsVideo

Alright, the Bulls regular season is over, and Murphy is a large reason why they end it at #1 in their conference. His final stats for the regular season:

Record: 40-9-2-2

GAA: 2.08

SV%: .941

SO: 5

Shots Faced/GM: 34.6

Wins when facing 40+ Shots: 9

Wins when facing 30+ Shots: 32

It's absolutely ridiculous how much this kid has dominated. It'll be interesting to see what the organization does with him after this year though. From my understanding, Albany's pretty set with Peters in net and I think it'll be better for him to be a starter in the OHL than a backup in the AHL.