The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
max

A Conversation With River Rat Trevor Gillies

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=742942&category=SPORTS' target="_blank">http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...category=SPORTS[/post]

To be quiet honest with you guys I was a tad bit surprised at the begining of the season that Trevor was not named captain of this team. I know enoforcers are not normally captains of teams but he is by far and away the leader of this team. Was a little disapointed he was not named team captain. Also I think the "C" maybe getting to Conboy also because he said in one of our local papers last week that when he was named team captain that he did not relize that being captain was so much work. So I think it might be getting to him a little that he is the captain. I thought it should have been Trevor in my opion. I am not trying to knock Conboy so please do not think I am but like I said Trevor is the leader of this team if you ask me.

I don't think it's a knock against Conboy. I was surprised when they announced him as captain. Not because I didn't think he could do the job, he can. It's that I think it limits him in what he can do in the way of firing up the team (ie: pestering the opponent/dropping the gloves). I think that Gillies is one of the team leaders, both on ice and in the locker room, however I think for him, same as for Conboy, that putting the "C" on him would hinder him, rather than help the team. I think that both he and Conboy should have "A"'s on their jerseys, it would give them more flexibility and because they are team motivators - and I'm not saying that the guys currently wearing the A's aren't doing the job, I think they're good choices for the "A". My own pick, at the beginning of the season and now, was Pat Dwyer. I thought he did a fine job at the end of last season and that he would do well this season.

Speaking of picks, who picks the Captain for an AHL team? I know in college it's usually a team vote (at least it used to be).

99% of the time the coaches pick the captains. Every now and then players who have been pn the team for a year or more get to pick but most of the time it is the coaches that pick the captains.

99% of the time the coaches pick the captains. Every now and then players who have been pn the team for a year or more get to pick but most of the time it is the coaches that pick the captains.

Thanks for the info (as always). The more I learn about hockey, the more I can annoy my non-hockey loving friends and family with facts. It also comes in handy when I'm stuck sitting next to some schmuck at a game who thinks girls can't/don't know anything about hockey. :lol:

Thanks for the info (as always). The more I learn about hockey, the more I can annoy my non-hockey loving friends and family with facts. It also comes in handy when I'm stuck sitting next to some schmuck at a game who thinks girls can't/don't know anything about hockey. :lol:
Anytime.