The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
max

River Rats Annihilate Norfolk 8-1

Pat Dwyer returned from the NHL to score one goal and set up three more, and Mike Angelidis had two goals and an assist as the Rats routed Norfolk at the former Knickerbocker Arena.

In all, six players had multi-point games for Albany (8-9-3-2), including Jerome Samson (1g, 1a). The Rats led 3-0 after one period and 4-1 after two, erupting for four third-period goals.

Also scoring were Stefan Chaput, Michael Ryan, Dwight Helminen and Nick Dodge. Daniel Manzato made 36 saves for his third straight win.

Josef Melichar, sent down with Dwyer by the Carolina Hurricanes, was a plus-2 with four shots in his first AHL game since May 28, 2001.

Now with points in seven consecutive games (5-0-1-1), Albany matched a franchise record for largest winning margin, last reached in an 7-0 home win over Norfolk on Nov. 28, 2007. The eight goals was the most for a Rats team since beating Syracuse, 8-6, on March 28, 2007, also at home.

Albany plays at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Saturday night.

Norfolk 0 1 0

ALBANY, NY - Mike Angelidis scored twice and Pat Dwyer posted a four-point game as the Albany River Rats demolished the Norfolk Admirals 8-1 Friday night at the Times Union Center.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Well what can I say about this game. I think you guys can see by the score how the team performed tonigt. This was as you guys will figure was the best performance by the team this season. This was there best performance in a long long time. And I mean by the whole team. Manzato was fantasitc in net. The forwards played wonderfull. The D played well. Just a wonderfull wonderfull game all the way around and for a hole 60 minutes. Can not beleive how well they did tonight. Wow that was just amazing. Awosome all the way around by the whole team. Game was a little ugly like I said it would be playing Norfolk two games in a row. But it was not as ugly as I thought it would be. But just an amazing night for this team. I am so proud of this team for there performance tonight. Lets hope they keep right on rolling.

For anyone interested, there will be pictures posted by Sunday, of tonights game at http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandpiper214/collections/''>http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandpiper214/collections/' target="_blank">http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandpiper214/collections/[/post], there is already a set in the "Hockey" collection of Wednesday's game. I would like to say they'll be posted by tomorrow (maybe while listening to the guys in W-B?), but there are over 2,200 frames to go through. I skimmed them and there's some good stuff. (I had tried not to get my hopes up because shots that look good on the camera LCD at the game don't necessarily translate to good shots on a computer screen.)

For the moment I've posted the "fight" (more like a mugging - what a punk) between Angelidis and Jay Rosehill. I know he was probably frustrated, but if it's to the point that you've got the guy on the ice - with his hands over his head to keep from getting hurt - because you didn't have the....nerve...to give him a fighting chance, you're a loser. Impressed with Angelidis for not pulling a punch on that guy which lead to the seven minute power play.

Oh so proud of our boys tonight; new/returning/old.