The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
max

Brian Elliot, Senators Stone Albany 3-0

Binghamton scored once in every period, got 33 saves from red-hot goalie Brian Elliott and snuffed out eight power plays against for its second straight win.

Danny Bois, Greg Mauldin on the power play and Ryan Shannon into an empty net had the goals for the Senators (13-9-2-3). Bois netted the winner, a sharp angle shot from the goal line 6:43 into the game that snuck in short side behind the right shoulder of Rats goalie Justin Peters. Cohoes native and ex-Rat Marc Cavosie was credited with the primary assist, a lpost-game scoring change, for his first point in 11 games with Bingo.

Mauldin's redirection of Matt Carkner's shot eluded Peters with 3:55 left in the second period. Peters briefly argued that the deflection was made with a high stick, but the goal was allowed by referee Terry Koharski.

Albany had two four-minute power plays in the third period, and a two-minute two-man advantage, but couldn't convert, managing just four shots, including Mike Angelidis wide-open back-door attempt that Elliott gloved down while on his stomach.

Elliott also robbed Pat Dwyer on a short-handed breakaway in the second period, saw Jerome Samson hit the outside of the right post on an open net late in the first, and had Nicolas Blanchard's goal disallowed in the third by Koharski's whistle.

The Rats host Portland today at 5.

Binghamton 1 1 1

Max, the Rats can't score on the powerplay either? Come on now, I was hoping to see some competent special teams sometime in the future. B)

And Koharski was reffing? I didn't realize the refs officiate both NHL and AHL games. Learned something new.

No they can not score on the power play. That has been a hugh problem with this team all season long. There PK is one of the biggest strenghts of this team but the PP has killed us all season. And if I am not mistaken there are three Koharski's. One in the NHL and two in the AHL. But yes some refs that are just coming up do ref in both the AHL and NHL. I know in the AHL there is Terry Koharski who was the ref in our game tonight he has been around for a while and his nephew Jamie Koharski is also a ref here in the AHL.

Ah right, it's Don Koharski that refs in the NHL.

But that's some terrible news about the powerplay. Are we forever doomed to have 2 minutes of passing?

Yeah I just relized it is Don in the NHL. I know they are all related. Like I said the two down here in the AHL are uncle and nephew. Yeah I guess we are doomed.

Wow what a tough game for me to read about! I'm from Binghamton,(where we used to have the Whalers AHL team)hence the Canes being my Team now, so my home town team is playing my new teams affiliate,,, man i guess i'm glad i'm wasn't in Bingo for this one!! :lol: