The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
max

Albany's Michael Ryan Named To AHL All-Star Classic

Michael Ryan, a native of Milton, Mass., will be the River Rats representative at the AHL all-star festivites later this month.

Ryan, 28, leads Albany with 13 goals, 25 points and a plus-2 rating (tied with Jakub Petruzalek), and is third with 12 assists in 27 games. He will skate for PlanetUSA, a team comprised of players born outside Canada.

"It's a great compliment to him," Rats head coach-GM Jeff Daniels said. "It shows how he's viewed throughout the league and that he's been doing a lot of good things. He definitely deserves his selection."

For the first time in three years, East Greenbush native Matt Lashoff won't represent Providence. Voted to the starting lineup in 2007 and 2008, he has been on recall to the Boston Bruins since Dec. 1.

Former Rats captain Keith Aucoin, who leads the league with 48 points in 34 games for Hershey, was also selected.

Originally drafted in the second round, 32nd overall, by Dallas in 1999, Ryan was signed by the Carolina Hurricanes as a free agent to a one-year contract on Oct. 31, in part to replace Troy native Matt Murley, who left the club to play in Russia.

Ryan netted hat tricks for Albany on Jan. 3 and Dec. 12, becoming only the third Rats player with more than one three-goal game in a season. He joins Steve Sullivan, who had three of Albany's team-record eight in 1995-96, and Pierre Dagenais, who had two of the club's three in 2000-01.

"I wasn't thinking a whole lot about it. I'm happy to get the recognition, of course," Ryan said. "The numbers are pretty good and pretty much what I expected out of myself, but I really want to try to get some more wins for this club and try to make the playoffs. That's my biggest concern."

It is the first all-star game appearance for Ryan, a sixth-year pro with 67 NHL games to his credit. He is the 27th player to represent the Albany at the AHL All-Star game since its revival in 1995.

Albany assistant coach Geordie Kinnear was named to four straight games from 1996-99, but missed both 1997 and 1999 with injuries. Keith Aucoin (2007, 2008) is the only other Rat selected in consecutive years.

The Rats have also sent two coaches, each in winning efforts: Robbie Ftorek in 1996, and the late John Cunniff in 1999.

Albany's all-time all-star game roster:

Michael Leighton, Keith Aucoin (2008, Binghamton); Aucoin (2007, Toronto); Aleksander Suglobov (2006, Winnipeg); Zach Parise (2005, Manchester); Craig Darby (2004, Grand Rapids); Ray Giroux (2003, Portland); Jiri Bicek (2002, St. John's); Josef Boumedienne (2001, Wilkes-Barre); Bicek, Pierre Dagenais (2000, Rochester); John Madden, Jeff Williams, Ken Sutton (1999, Philadelphia); Geordie Kinnear, Vlastimil Kroupa, Brendan Morrison, Jay Pandolfo, Peter Zezel (1998, Syracuse); Patrik Elias, Chris McAlpine, Peter Sidorkiewicz (1997, Saint John); Brad Bombardir, Mike Dunham, Kinnear, Ricard Persson, Steve Sullivan (1996, Hershey); Kevin Dean, Corey Schwab (1995, Providence).

Here is the entire 2009 PlanetUSA roster:

FORWARDS

Keith Aucoin, Hershey

x-Chris Bourque, Hershey

x-Nikita Filatov, Syracuse

x-Nathan Gerbe, Portland

Martins Karsums, Providence

Tim Kennedy, Portland

Petri Kontiola, Rockford

Drew Miller, Iowa

Joe Motzko, Chicago

Michael Ryan, Albany

Ryan Potulny, Springfield

Jeff Taffe, W-B/Scranton

Ryan Vesce, Worcester

DEFENSEMEN

Rory Fitzpatrick, Rochester ("C")

Jonas Junland, Peoria

Mattias Karlsson, Binghamton

x-Jakub Kindl, Grand Rapids

Ben Lovejoy, W-B/Scranton

Bobby Sanguinetti, Hartford

Jaime Sifers, Toronto

x-Yannick Weber, Hamilton

GOALTENDERS

Jeff Frazee, Lowell

Daniel Larsson, Grand Rapids

x-Cory Schneider, Manitoba

x - starters

Head Coach: Don Granato, Chicago

Assistant Coach: Jason Christie, Chicago

Assistant Coach: Wendell Young, Chicago

Athletic Trainer: Kevin Kacer, Chicago

Equipment Manager: Craig Kogut, Chicago

http://dailygazette.com/weblogs/janack/200...s-all-star-nod/

Rarely given to overt shows of emotion on the ice, Michael Ryan took the news of his first professional all-star game selection in exactly the same fashion.

Ryan, a 28-year-old Boston-area native., was named Wednesday as the Albany River Rats' represent

48 Points in 34 games for Keith Aucoin? Holy cow... he must be having a banner year.

Nice to see some Carolina products making hay in the minors... There are several guys in Albany that I'm looking forward to having on the big club in a couple of years.

Now why did we let Aucoin go again? hehe...

48 Points in 34 games for Keith Aucoin? Holy cow... he must be having a banner year.

Nice to see some Carolina products making hay in the minors... There are several guys in Albany that I'm looking forward to having on the big club in a couple of years.

Now why did we let Aucoin go again? hehe...

Not trying to be rude here so please do not take it that way but who cares about Keith Aucoin. Do not get me wrong I wish he was still in the organazation either here with us or with th Canes but he is not and that is all we have been hearing about all year is Keith Aucoin this Keith Aucoin that who cares he does not play here anymore so why do we have to keep talking about him. Everytime we play Hershey it is Keith Aucoin, Keith Aucoin gees. Our first game against Hersey this year Hershey beat us and Aucoin did nothing in the game but everything was still about how Aucoin beat us. So sick of hearing about him. Like I said I love Keith wish he was still around but he is not so do we have to hear about him all the time. This articale is about how Michael Ryan made the All-Star team and how he is haveing a great season here in Albany.