The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
sandpiper214

Rats vs Norfolk 01/29/09

From what I could tell, they played strong for most of the first and most of the second. It appeared though, from the end of the 2nd through the first part of the 3rd, that they were a little lost. I'm a little disappointed in the amount of penalties on Angelidis, but I couldn't tell by the radio if the non-fighting ones were accurate or weak calls (anyone at the game that can tell me?). Newkirk and Hennessey (River Rats radio broadcast) said it appeared that the Rats were missing the grittiness of Trevor Gillies. While that may be true, I think that Blanchard, Herauf or Weston could have easily stepped into that role tonight. Blanchard and Herauf can hold their own and Weston's improving everytime he drops the gloves.

01/30am EDIT** I don't know what I was thinking not mentioning the glaring difference in shots on goal. With Rodney and Ryan gone (temporarily or not) they need to shoot. You can tell that they have been working on that this season, but last night they seemed to revert to previous practices.

Albany Squanders Early Two-Goal Lead In Norfolk

http://www.albanyriverrats.com/news/?id=15181

NORFOLK, VA - Brandon Bochenski scored two goals, including the game-winner in the third period, as the Norfolk Admirals erased an early two-goal deficit to beat the Albany River Rats 5-4 Thursday night at Scope Arena.

It took very little time for the two East Division clubs to renew their rivalry as the ill-will started showing soon after the opening face off. After killing off an early penalty, the River Rats red hot power play cashed in at 6:09 of the first period when Nick Dodge made a beautiful cross-ice pass to defenseman Jonathan Paiement for a back-door goal at the far right post. The goal, assisted by Dodge and Jerome Samson, was Paiement

I was at the game Thursday night. First off, let me say that this was my 1st visit to Scope, and 1st AHL Hockey game. It was good to see Coach Daniels, and I was surprised to see Glen Wesley behind the bench as well. From what I saw, Norfolk was very aggressive all night. Looked to me like they had more hits then they had shots on goal....and they had a ton of those as well. The Rats never seemed that aggressive, and only fought when they had to. I was surprised that Conboy never mixed it up with anyone. Tonights game should be a good one.

I saw probably 15 Canes/Rats fans in attendence.

I was at the game Thursday night. First off, let me say that this was my 1st visit to Scope, and 1st AHL Hockey game. It was good to see Coach Daniels, and I was surprised to see Glen Wesley behind the bench as well. From what I saw, Norfolk was very aggressive all night. Looked to me like they had more hits then they had shots on goal....and they had a ton of those as well. The Rats never seemed that aggressive, and only fought when they had to. I was surprised that Conboy never mixed it up with anyone. Tonights game should be a good one.

I saw probably 15 Canes/Rats fans in attendence.

Probably be more than that tonight with the Canes being off. I'm hoping that last night's game will spark the Rats and light a fire.