The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
sandpiper214

Albany vs Norfolk 01/30/09

What a ridiculously disappointing game. :angry:

They came out hard in the first period but appeared to lose some of that momentum at the start of the 2nd. The shots on goal were much more evenly matched this evening., but they couldn't score. Usually I can tell (even with just the radio) who worked and who didn't, but not seeing the game, I can't really pinpoint who was not contributing tonight. I think Peters had some moments that were less than his usual but i don't know if it was due to lack of Defensive help or what the problem was. I heard every defenseman playing during the broadcast, so it appeared they showed up, but did they play? Anyone at the game have visual input?

Two additional things:

1)This one just irked me - According to Owen Newkirk and John Hennessey during the radio postgame, the ref allowed somewhere around 10 Admirals to stand and bark at Rats while they were trying to leave the ice after the final horn. Apparently the linesmen were restraining players. What's up with that? Unacceptable. You won the game, get off the ice.

2) No word on why Brad Herauf did not return to the ice. He served a 5:00 penalty for fighting at 2:37 and then, as I understand it, immediately left the ice for the locker room and did not return.

I'll post what's on the news sites here, though there's not much. For tomorrow's game in Philly, I'll be stuck with dial-up (and you've already got Max in Raleigh) so there may be no coverage on the board until after the game or Sunday (sorry) depending on whether or not the line holds.

Rats let another one slip away

By Phil Janack

Friday, January 30, 2009

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/janack...-one-slip-away/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just like that, the River Rats are back in last place.

On the heels of Thursday's 5-4 loss in Norfolk, Albany dropped a 4-1 decision to the Admirals tonight and saw its four-point in the East Division standings evaporate.

Alternate captain Pat Dwyer scored the lone goal in the third period for the Rats, who trailed 3-1 at the time. Dwyer's power-play tally was assisted by Brett Carson and Jakub Petruzalek.

Justin Peters took the loss in goal for Albany, finishing with 42 saves. Peters faced 50 shots on Thursday, stopping 45 shots.

Norfolk holds a 4-2 edge in the season series, with two games remaining. The home team has won every game, including Albany's sweep at the former Knickerbocker Arena in early December.

Left wing Matt Auffrey, signed to a pro tryout earlier today, made his Rats debut, going minus-1 with three shots and two penalty minutes. The 6-foot-2, 203-pound Auffrey had 12 points (2g, 10a), 30 penalty minutes and was plus-6 in 21 games for ECHL Florida.

Albany, which had won two straight games prior to the AHL all-star break, plays Saturday in Philadelphia. It will be the Phantoms first game following the four-day hiatus.

Smolenak Hat Trick Hands River Rats Second Straight Loss To Admirals

http://albanyriverrats.com/news/?id=15182

January 30, 2009 -

NORFOLK, VA - Radek Smolenak scored three goals as the Norfolk Admirals beat the Albany River Rats 4-1 Friday night at Scope Arena.

After losing the physical battle and the game last night, Albany came out determined to turn the tides physically. Two fights in the first four and a half minutes set the tone early in the game, as Albany