The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
max

River Rats Beat Falcons For Fifth-Straight Win

Dwight Helminen had two goals and Bobby Hughes netted the third-period tie-breaker in his first AHL game in three months as the River Rats held off the struggling Springfield Falcons tonight at the former Knickerbocker Arena.

Hughes flipped in a rebound with 2:15 left in the third period, and Mike Angelidis banged in the leftovers of Nick Dodge's wraparound attempt 61 seconds later to turn a 3-3 game into a 5-3 lead.

Angelidis' goal turned out to be the winner after Rob Schremp scored with 9.7 seconds remaining for Springfield, which lost its ninth straight game, and eighth in a row in regulation.

Brett Carson had a goal and an assist, and Jerome Samson and Michael Ryan had two assists apiece for Albany (24-23-3-2), which hosts the Lowell Devils tonight at 7. Justin Peters finished with 16 saves.

Schremp (1g, 2a) and Jean-Francois Jacques (0g, 3a) each had three points for the Falcons (16-29-6-1), while Devan Dubnyk stopped 35 of 40 shots.

Rats alternate captain Pat Dwyer missed the third period with an injury, and is questionable for tonight's game. So is winger Brad Herauf, whose absence tonight allowed Hughes back in the lineup for the first time since being hurt Nov. 8.

Springfield 0 1 3

Was very proud of the way the team came out tonight. Was all over the Falcons in the first period tonight. Took a 2-0 lead into the intermission. Outshot them 19-3 in the first came out really determined. But got a little lazy after that and let them back into the game. Wild ending to the game there were 3 goals 2 by the Rats and one by the Falcons in like the last 2 minutes of the game. Was very nice to see Bobby Hughes finally get back into the lineup tonight and get a goal. After he scored that goal he was really excited and it really seemed like a hugh weight had been lifted off his shoulders. Lets hope the team can keep on rolling tomorrow night.

I agree. Came out with a wicked fury in the first and then sat back on their heels in the 2nd and had to scramble in the 3rd. It's not a pretty win, but we'll take it. Hey Max, was it just Weston who didn't take a shift in the third or was it his whole line. I thought I saw linemates out there, but I don't recall seeing him. He was on the bench though. Hoping it's not any type of injury. I read Pat Dwyer's out for tonight, at least as of the articles last night.

I agree. Came out with a wicked fury in the first and then sat back on their heels in the 2nd and had to scramble in the 3rd. It's not a pretty win, but we'll take it. Hey Max, was it just Weston who didn't take a shift in the third or was it his whole line. I thought I saw linemates out there, but I don't recall seeing him. He was on the bench though. Hoping it's not any type of injury. I read Pat Dwyer's out for tonight, at least as of the articles last night.
To be honest I do not remember.

Do any of the Rats want to come back to Raleigh because we really the help here. Intersting coincidence that the Rats go on a win streak when the Canes send their players back and go on a losing streak. :(

Do any of the Rats want to come back to Raleigh because we really the help here. Intersting coincidence that the Rats go on a win streak when the Canes send their players back and go on a losing streak. :(
I think Dodge, Ryan, and Helminen do. Because these three have had monster weekends

Sending them back didn't help us tonight. Can we shake it up. Call up some guys (not Peters and not Rodney - Peters because I said so and Rodney because there is a little boy in Albany who is his biggest fan and wants his Autograph. The autograph session is the 22nd, you can call him up on the 23rd)