The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
sandpiper214

River Rats bus accident - information pending

From WTEN (ABC) "They crashed on I-90 at about 3:30 this morning. It happend on I-90 westbound, near Beckett. They hit a guardrail and rolled over. Three people were taken to the hospital with what police are calling serious injuries. Police are still investigating but they suspect it's weather related" they said 29 others were taken to the hospital but w/o serious injuries.

more as it's released.

CBS 6 - "Took all players to Berkshire Medical Center to be checked out. Three suffered severe cuts. State Police say it was weather related"

from www.cbs6albany.com: A bus carrying the River Rats home from a game last night rolled over in a weather-related accident on the Massachusetts Turnpike, according the Massachusetts State Police. It happened in Becket just before 3:30 a.m. State Police Sgt. David Mahan told the Associated Press the bus hit a guard rail and rolled on its side. All 34 people on board were taken to Berkshire Medical Center to be examined and three people had severe lacerations on the upper part of their body, according to police.

WNYT NBC - "Lacerations to upper and lower torsos." more of the same from above

Fox News - "more than a dozen players were hurt. 10 players have already been released and are waiting for a bus to bring them back to Albany" Fox apparently just learned about this, but it's the most information so far.

Capital News 9 " I 90-Left lane closed due to the bus accident. More information to come"

Times Union

Three River Rats seriously injured in bus crash

Names of injured not yet released

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=771667

Associated Press

Last updated: 6:56 a.m., Thursday, February 19, 2009

BECKET, Mass. State Police say three members of the River Rats were seriously injured this morning when a bus carrying the minor league hockey team rolled on its side on Interstate 90 westbound in western Massachusetts.

Sgt. David Mahan says the bus carrying the AHL struck a guard rail and rolled on its side in Becket at about 3:35 a.m. on Thursday.

Three people were taken to Berkshire Medical Center in Pittsfield with what he called "serious" injuries. Mahan did not release names.

Twenty-nine others were taken to the hospital as a precaution.

The accident is under investigation, but Mahan says slippery roads caused by overnight snow may have been a factor.

Please keep us posted, this is awful. Hopefully its no more than some bumps and bruises.

Morning Update:

The injured people are a mix of players and team employees, River Rats coach Jeff Daniels said, but declined to identify any of them until families can be contacted.

Police describe the injures as serious, but Daniels said they did not appear to be life threatening.

"We were very fortunate and lucky," Daniels said.

Daniels said the bus rolled after hitting bad weather on a return trip from Lowell. It struck a guardrail, coming to rest on its side and partially on the highway. The discovery of the disabled bus prompted other motorists to stop their vehicles on the highway and then try to slow approaching traffic, Daniels said.

Some seriously injured suffered lacerations during the accident.

Everybody on the bus was taken to Berkshire Medical Center. Four people were admitted for treatment and all aboard were being checked out by medical staff as a precaution.

"They've been great looking after us," Daniels said.

I know me my wife and a friend of our went to the game lastnight and I am shocked to hear this. The part of the road they had the accident on was fine when we went past it just wet. I can not figure out why they had an accedent at 3:30 in the morning it is not that far from here to Lowell. When we left the game we went out of our way because our friend wanted a coffie. Then we stoped on the Mass Turnpike to get somthing to eat and we were still home at like 1:15. When we stoped on the Mass Turnpike to eat we thought we had saw the Rats bus go by the rest area. From everything I am hearing from friends and news there are three players in serious condiditon but it is not life threating.

Capital News 9

http://capitalnews9.com/content/top_storie...sh/Default.aspx

LEE, MA. -- An update to breaking news we've been following for you this morning. One lane of the Mass Pike in Lee is still closed at this hour after a bus carrying the Albany River Rats crashed around 3 a.m.

State Police say the bus was headed back to Albany, when is hit a guard rail and rolled on its side. Thirty-two -people were on board at the time and three of them were seriously hurt.

The team had been in Lowell, Massachusetts for a game last night. So far the names of the injured are not being released

on the drive to the office the weather guy for capitalnews9 said that there was sleet, freezing rain and snow conditions around that area between 1:30 and 4 am. Also said is a treacherous stretch of I90 during weather like this

From Fox 23 news:

http://www.fox23news.com/content/newsalert...yxdWl78C6w.cspx

The entire Albany River Rats hockey team remains at Berkshire Medical Center this morning after ther bus crashed on the Massachusetts Turnpike.

" It was snowy and the bus just went out of control," said River Rats head coach Jeff Daniels told FOX23 by phone from the hospital. "Trucks were whizzing by. We were fortunate nothing else happened"

The accident happened in Becket, about 55 miles east of Albany. The bus rolled over and laded on a guard rail. The Rats were on their way home from a game in Lowell.

Daniels said, to his knowledge, there were no life threatening injuries.

"A few of the players were taken by ambulance to the hospital." Daniels said. The rest of the team went by school bus to get checked out, to make sure there were not injuries after the initial shock wore off. It was scary."

He indicated that, from what he'd seen and heard, the injuries were mostly cuts, bruises, and concussion. He also said some players were yet to be checked out by a doctor. Once that happens and players are cleared, there is a bus awaiting to bring the team back to Albany. They had a scheduled 1pm practice today and a game tomrorow night with Bridgeport

Thanks for all the updates sandpiper and Max. Hoping for the best for the guys. Not to take from the seriousness of the accident, hope the Everblades got enough players to send up north.

Thanks for all the updates sandpiper and Max. Hoping for the best for the guys. Not to take from the seriousness of the accident, hope the Everblades got enough players to send up north.

valid thought. I think that they're able to call from other ECHL teams if not enough from our farm team? Keep in mind I have no official knowledge of this, it's just something from the back of my mind from when everyone had the flu last season....I could be completely incorrect.

valid thought. I think that they're able to call from other ECHL teams if not enough from our farm team? Keep in mind I have no official knowledge of this, it's just something from the back of my mind from when everyone had the flu last season....I could be completely incorrect.
Yes they can call up players from other ECHL teams. Because not all players in the ECHL are under contract with NHL or AHL teams. There are players just on ECHL contracts. They can call up those players.

The team bus carrying players, coaches and staff members of the Albany River Rats flipped onto its side early this morning on the way home from Wednesday night's game in Lowell, Mass.

Three players were seriously injured in the crash, head coach-GM Jeff Daniels said. At this hour, the team is still at the Berkshire Medical Center in Pittsfield, Mass.

"It was extremely scary," Daniels said. "We're very fortunate to escape the way we did, injury-wise. Some guys are banged up pretty good and they're going to miss an extended period of time, but it's nothing career-threatening."

Daniels wanted to wait until players and staff had a chance to speak with family before releasing the names of those seriously hurt.

"The families have to be taken care of first," he said. "It's not as serious as it could have been."

Massachusetts state police said that the bus was traveling westbound on I-90 in snowy conditions when the crash happened at 3:25 this morning in the town of Becket, Mass., about 56 miles from Albany. The Yankee Trails coach struck a guardrail and rolled over onto its left side and into both lanes of traffic.

Police said there were 29 people on board the bus; five were taken to Berkshire Medical Center in an ambulance, three with what appeared to be serious injuries. Another two complained of neck pain. The remaining 24 people were driven to BMC in a separate bus.

http://dailygazette.com/weblogs/janack/200...ured-bus-crash/

The team bus carrying players, coaches and staff members of the Albany River Rats flipped onto its side early this morning on the way home from Wednesday night's game in Lowell, Mass.

Three players were seriously injured in the crash, head coach-GM Jeff Daniels said. At this hour, the team is still at the Berkshire Medical Center in Pittsfield, Mass.

"It was extremely scary," Daniels said. "We're very fortunate to escape the way we did, injury-wise. Some guys are banged up pretty good and they're going to miss an extended period of time, but it's nothing career-threatening."

Daniels wanted to wait until players and staff had a chance to speak with family before releasing the names of those seriously hurt.

"The families have to be taken care of first," he said. "It's not as serious as it could have been."

Massachusetts state police said that the bus was traveling westbound on I-90 in snowy conditions when the crash happened at 3:25 this morning in the town of Becket, Mass., about 56 miles from Albany. The Yankee Trails coach struck a guardrail and rolled over onto its left side and into both lanes of traffic.

Police said there were 29 people on board the bus; five were taken to Berkshire Medical Center in an ambulance, three with what appeared to be serious injuries. Another two complained of neck pain. The remaining 24 people were driven to BMC in a separate bus.

Albany broadcaster and director of media relations Owen Newkirk said he suffered a mild concussion in the accident. He was asleep at the time.

"I woke up when I heard someone, I'm guessing it was the driver, yelling to hang on," Newkirk said. "I woke up and sat up, and couldn't really see anything. I just grabbed the seat, I guess. The bus flipped on its left side. I'm on the right, so I ended up on top. I just remember hanging on and thinking, 'This is gonna hurt.' I closed my eyes, and the rest is just a blur."

Newkirk said the team had already been ldelayed about 2 1/2 hours because its original bus had broken down near Worcester, Mass. with engine trouble, and a second bus had to be sent to pick up the team.

"I was sleeping and woke just as it was all happening," Daniels said. "We just kind of lost control and couldn't recover. We started spinning and flipping and rolled over on our side on top of the guardrail, and we were just missed by a couple of semi trucks. Eventually, the guys kind of crawled out and got to a safe area, and everyone was accounted for."

Daniels said that everyone was able to get off the bus on their own.

"Everyone had to be checked by the doctor just to get cleared," Daniels said. "They've been extremely caring and outgoing toward the team."

http://dailygazette.com/weblogs/janack/200...s-crash-update/

As reported by Ryan Burgess from Capital News 9 is on the scene:

"The bus is still on it's side with a gaping hole in the side of it. 10 feet in front of the bus they're loading equipment into a truck. All highway lanes are opened again. weather in the middle of the night was dicey. Right now it's just snow and wet. We do not know anything further as to who was injured and the hospital has not released any names. I'm headed to the Medical Center next and will keep you updated"

http://capitalnews9.com/content/top_storie...sh/Default.aspx

(report is video - via phone)

Any idea when any new news will be released? Have they talked about a press conference? Maybe the noontime news will have some new updates.

Any idea when any new news will be released? Have they talked about a press conference? Maybe the noontime news will have some new updates.
All that has been said up to this point is that they will keep us updated. As you can see there is bits and pieces come out slowly so far. No to this point they have not talked about any kind of press conference.

no talk about any press conference. I've been flipping between all the sites (newspaper and local broadcast stuff) plus I have Capital News 9 (our local all news/all day station) so I'll post as soon as I hear something. There's nothing on the Rats or the AHL site as of yet regarding the accident. Everyone's reporting "cuts and lacerations" as the "serious injuries" so hopefully that's all it is.