The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
sandpiper214

River Rats bus accident - information pending

no talk about any press conference. I've been flipping between all the sites (newspaper and local broadcast stuff) plus I have Capital News 9 (our local all news/all day station) so I'll post as soon as I hear something. There's nothing on the Rats or the AHL site as of yet regarding the accident. Everyone's reporting "cuts and lacerations" as the "serious injuries" so hopefully that's all it is.
I know right this second they are saying Owen Newkirk our radio announcer has a concussion. I have heard that there are some players that also have concussions and are going to miss a good amount of time. But players names have not been announced as of yet because they want to inform the familys first. I know Pat Dwyer's mom and dad were at the game lastnight so I am sure they know by now. We know Pat's mom and dad so we talk with them everytime they come out. They are in town untill Sunday.

Finishing out a four-game AHL suspension, River Rats captain Tim Conboy was not with the club when the team bus crashed in the town of Becket, Mass. early this morning on the way home from its game Wednesday night in Lowell.

Conboy was at the Albany Airport this morning, waiting for a flight to New York after being recalled by the Carolina Hurricanes.

"I just heard about it about two minutes ago," Conboy said. "I was checking my stuff in and the lady asked me if I was in the River Rats bus crash, and I was like, 'What? You're kidding me.' I haven't had a chance to talk to anybody yet. I'm going to call Mad Dog (Rats trainer Brian Maddox) and see what's going on."

Flying into LaGuardia Airport this morning, Conboy is expected to be in the Canes lineup tonight against the New York Islanders. He has been practicing with the Rats during his suspension, which stemmed from a fight in a Feb. 10 game against Portland in Buffalo.

"I was joking with Gilly (injured Albany enforcer Trevor Gillies) that I'll be in better shape now than I was at the beginning of the year," Conboy said. "I guess it's a pretty good way to come back from a suspension."

Conboy has no idea how long he will be with Carolina, which also has Rats all-star left wing Michael Ryan on the roster. Canes defenseman Joni Pitkanen is nursing a minor injury.

"I'm assuming it will be one game because Pitkanen is day-to-day, but you never know," Conboy said. "Last year I went up thinking it would be just one game, and I ended up staying the rest of the year."

http://dailygazette.com/weblogs/janack/200...crash-update-2/

This is why I love Phil Janick always updating us on the team.

This is why I love Phil Janick always updating us on the team.

Phil is our BEST source of information hands down. off topic, I was exploring the website revamp. They have the link to the TU (which I understand because of them playing in the TU center) but they do a great disservice to the team by not including a link to the source of their best coverage.

One of our local TV stations here Fox 23 has just said that there is 12 players injured. Once I find a link I will post it.

One of our local TV stations here Fox 23 has just said that there is 12 players injured. Once I find a link I will post it.

I saw that this morning. Capital news 9 is still updating and still only saying 3. According to the reporter Coach Daniels told Capital news 9 that none of the injuries are life threatening but some players have broken bones.

I saw that this morning. Capital news 9 is still updating and still only saying 3. According to the reporter Coach Daniels told Capital news 9 that none of the injuries are life threatening but some players have broken bones.
That was 3 that were in serious condition. 12 was the total of players injured.

Very scary situation. Thoughts and Prayers to the whole River Rat team.

Max thanks for keeping us updated.

Not a problem. Like I said very scary for me and my wife as we were both at this game lastnight. Got me thinking it could have been us. Just gets you thinking.

On the CapNews9 radio station they just had Jeff Daniels speaking (I assume via phone) and he reiterated what everyone has been reporting, but it was nice to hear from him as opposed to just the media.

On the CapNews9 radio station they just had Jeff Daniels speaking (I assume via phone) and he reiterated what everyone has been reporting, but it was nice to hear from him as opposed to just the media.
That is great news to hear.

Rats injured in bus crash UPDATE 3

By Phil Janack

Thursday, February 19, 2009

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/janack...crash-update-3/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the wake of this morning's crash involving the River Rats team bus, Friday's scheduled home game at the former Knickerbocker Arena is in doubt.

Albany president and CEO Garen Szablewski said that the health of the players and the condition of the equipment damaged in the early-morning accident mean the game against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers will likely be postponed.

"I don't know for sure, but most likely we'll have to postpone the game tomorrow," Szablewski said. "We've still got to wait and see. I've got a call into (head coach) Jeff Daniels to get an assessment from him on the health of the players, as well as the availability of equipment and what not. There's a good chance we'll end up having to postpone tomorrow's game, and then we'll have to figure out about Sunday."

The Rats are scheduled to host the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Sunday afternoon at 5.

"There are two significant issues," Szablewski said. "One is the players health and well-being and their ability to play. To some degree, that can be addressed if we have to be forced to play with fewer players than we normally would. It's certainly a significant issue.

"Second, we don't know all the details on the condition of the equipment. (Albany equipment manager) Jason McGrath tells me it appears that we pretty much lost all of our gear. In saying 'lost,' we don't mean misplaced but that it was part of the wreckage and can't be salvaged. We'll have to scramble and see where we can get appropriate pads and skates and helmets and that kind of stuff and make that part of the final decision.

"Most likely, we won't be able to put all that into place by tomorrow night. If at all possible, we are going to try to play the game on Sunday."

BTW, for anyone wondering, Berkshire Medical Center in Pittsfield is an EXCELLENT facility. My family is from around that area and I'm very familiar with the hospital.

(Sorry I didn't post that sooner, I was completely not even thinking about it. I just read "Pittsfield" in an article and the light came on

CapNews9: "Some guys are banged up. Hockey is secondary right now. Main thing isto make sure they're healthy right now. Have time to heal up. that's our main goal, our main focus right now"

That's the verbatim from Coach Daniels (mostly. I might have missed a word or two, I can't type as fast as he speaks)

BTW, for anyone wondering, Berkshire Medical Center in Pittsfield is an EXCELLENT facility. My family is from around that area and I'm very familiar with the hospital.

(Sorry I didn't post that sooner, I was completely not even thinking about it. I just read "Pittsfield" in an article and the light came on

It is about time that light came on :lol: